The Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS)imparts education and training in the field of Ayurveda, Modern Medical Sciences and Dental Sciences. Medical education in Banaras Hindu University or BHU started in 1920 with the establishment of Department of Ayurveda under Faculty of Oriental Learning and Theology. The college is affiliated to Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Pandit Madan Mohan Malviyaji was the man behind the establishment of medical institution in BHU
- In the year 1960, the Ayurvedic College was transformed to the College of Medical Sciences and Professor K.N. Uduppa was its founding principal
- The College of Medical Sciences got advanced to Institute of Medical Sciences in 1971
- The Sir Sunderlal Hospital which is attached to IMS, BHU is basically a teaching training hospital for students of the institute
- There are more than 300 teaching faculty and 400 technical staff, is the backbone of the Institute
- There are 51 departments at BHU in its three Academic Units. The three Academic Units at BHU Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dental Sciences, Faculty of Ayurveda
- The faculty at IMS, BHU in besides their teaching duties works extra hours to provide medical care to patients at the Sir Sunderlal Hospital
- The college has following centre UGC Advanced Immunodiagnostic Training & Research Centre, School Of Nursing, Centre Animal House, Centre of Experimental Medicine and Surgery
IMS GYM celebrates its annual sports during the month of February every year. The following games are being organized during annual sports:Open Badminton, Open Lawn Tennis, Open Table tennis, Open Caroms, Open Chess along with inters class Cricket, Football, Volleyball & Basketball etc. regularly
- The Department of Anatomy organized National Conference of the Anatomical Society of India 2008 and CME cum workshop on Electron Microscopy in Medical Research in December 2008
- The Department of Medicine organized inaugural meeting of European Commission Project – Kaladrug R.
- The Department of Paediatric surgery organized one International Workshop in April 2008
- The Department of Plastic Surgery organized 43rd Annual conference of Association of Plastic Surgeons of India in the Golden Jubilee year of Association in November 2008 and also organized Accreditation course of Hand surgery
- World Alzheimer’s Day organized by Department of Psychiatry on 21st September 2008 and the senior citizens of the community were provided health education on Dementia
- World Mental Health Day was organized by the Department of Psychiatry on 10th October 2008 at Bhadohi
- World Breast feeding week from 1st to 7th August 2008 was organized by the Department of Pediatrics
- ORS Week was organized by the Department of Pediatrics in July 2008
- Health Education Programme to school children on Health Awareness, Morbidity and Mortality was convened by the Department of Pediatrics
The following events were held in the past at IMS, BHU: Elixir, LitCom, AyurLitCom, Vivekanad Jayanti Celebrations etc.
There are 10 modern hostels for boys, girls and also for married postgraduates in the University campus.
Name of the Hostel
Old PG Doctors
64+ 3 Guest Room
New PG Doctors
COORDINATOR IMS HOSTELS
The Institute of Medical Sciences Library was established in 1961. The college library has 110 Foreign and 16 Indian Journals.