The Speakers Club is a student self-help forum which was started with the aim of helping the students to nurture and sharpen their communication and leadership skills. The club provides a platform for the students to practice their public speaking skills and also offers various other opportunities for them to develop their overall personality and help them in the business environment.
Laasya, the music and art club of IFMR was inaugurated in 2009 to keep the artist alive in us. At Laasya we welcome every form of art. The critically important role of the arts in the academy, as in life, is to enable us to see the world and the human condition differently, and in seeing the world through a particular work of art, to see a truth we might not have understood before.
Further the campus is equipped infrastructure for all the major sports like Cricket, Football, Basketball, Badminton, Table Tennis, Chess and Carrom which can be played with common sports equipment. These Sporting events are good way to relieve stress from the day to day studies and give the extra energy for the students.
The Sports Committee of IFMR takes care of not just the sporting needs but also emphasizes on health and team building through fitness and adventure activities. There are 2 sporting events organized every semester and to ensure full participation, the games are tweaked in innovative ways such as the Gully Cricket, Futsal Football, Mixed Table Tennis, Inter section Games, Online gaming, trekking, jogging and lots more.
The events of this Magnum Opus included Stock Pitching, Holistic Marketing, Auctions, Roleplaying, Negotiations, Business plans and many more. Abhyudaya was also filled with colourful cultural nights which included Rock Band shows, mesmerizing dance performances, fashion shows and DJ gigs.
IFMR, Chennai is a non-profit research based academic institution with a history of over 43 years of Training and research. It has run programs in the past in association with British open University and Michigan Business School.
It is recognized as institution of National Importance by the Ministry of Finance. It is spread over 40 acres with state-of-the-art facilities and include academic block, classrooms, library, seminar halls, cafeteria, hostel, recreation rooms, gym etc.
It strives to be an institution of greater learning, advancing theory and practice in finance and management. It caters to the need of young professionals to become competent and socially responsible leaders of corporations.
It has also set up 7 research centers as follows:-
Managerial studies are not just limited to classroom teachings and case studies. There are 9 clubs and committees, each with its special significance and motive. Some of them are:
• Samarthan: Aims at working towards a common goal- Service to the Society.
• Arthsabha- The Finance Club: Arthasabha 2.0 is the second edition of the national level finance summit organized by IFMR in association with BSE ltd.
• Student Welfare Committee
• The Cultural Club
• Alumni Committee
• External Relations Committee
• The Entrepreneurship Club
• Placement Committee
Other than the clubs and the committees following are the events organized in IFMR:
• Free Software Foundation (FSF) India is a non-profit association dedicated to promoting advocating & spreading the usage & expansion of swatantra software in country.
• A stride is the inimitable initiative taken by The Entrepreneurship Club & The Colloquium Committee to enthuse fledgling individuals to embrace imagination, innovation & creativity.
Abhyudaya ’12, the B-School Fest of Institute for Financial Management and Research was conducted successfully on the February 18 and 19, 2012.
The institute has a State-of-the-art library comprising all reference & general books. It is accessible for Institute's Researchers, Faculty Members, and Students along with outsiders for their research & academic requirements. It is a cache library for all GATT, World Bank &UNU. The lists of services provided by the library are:
• Elsevier Science Directory Online database Service
• EBSCO Host Online Database
• Prowess : A database of large and medium Indian firms
IFMR has Reuters database in the trading floor and advanced software like SPSS, EViews, MATLAB, Statistica, etc. to analyze data. Some other features of the trading floor are:
• IFMR’s trading floor includes 26 Dell computer ports; all armed with a 2 GHz Pentium Core, 2 GB RAM & 2 Duo processors.
• Additionally, it has LCD televisions presenting business news & LCD monitor that shows multi-screens like text, financial news channels & presentations, along with a high-tech LCD projector.
• A 5.5-foot NCDEX ticker-board facilitates real feedstuffs from equality markets with connectivity to all workstations
10% of the students get attractive Scholarships ranging up to 50% of tuition fees on a yearly basis based on the academic performance at IFMR.