The Department of Management Studies (DoMS) IIT-Madras is a business school under the Indian Institute of Technology Madras located in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- IIT Madras was established in 1959 and then the Humanities and Social Sciences Department of the IIT was offering Management Education in the form of M.Tech in Industrial Engineering. The fully fledged MBA program was started by the same department in 2001 and finally Department of Management Studies came into existence in 2004.
- The department offers various courses viz. MBA, Research programs and PGPEX-VLM which is a combined effort of 3 IITs viz. IIT-Madras, IIT-Calcutta, IIT-Kanpur.
- DoMS has recently launched an Incubation Center to fund the entrepreneurial ventures in association with Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Govt. of India.
- The department also shares partnership in multi-institutional diploma program (PGPX-VLM) with IIM Calcutta and IIT Kanpur.
Collaboration: DoMS offers exchange programs for students and faculty to provide better facilities in academics which are facilitated with MoUs signed with some national and international renowned institutes. Some of them are-
- Manheim Business School, Germany
- Concordia University, Canada
- Imperial College, London
- Seoul National University, Korea
- Indian School of Business, Hyderabad
Academic Overview: DoMS IIT Madras, with its highly experienced and qualified faculty offers one of the best management courses in the country, an MBA with IIT advantage. Some programs offered by the department are-
- PGPEX-VLM Program(Postgraduate Program for Executives for Visionary Leadership in Manufacturing): The course was initiated by National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council, to increase the competitiveness of the Indian Manufacturing Centre. It is a joint program of IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Madras and IIT-Calcutta. The program has been supported by Japanese International Cooperative Agency.
- Research Programs: The college offers MS and PhD programs to make a contribution to overall global advancement. The college offers MS in research as well as in Entrepreneurship. The unique feature is the mix of fresh postgraduates as well as experienced executives.
Placement Description: DoMS has a very good track record in industry interactions since its inception. There are two placement seasons conducted in the college. The placement season commences with the summer placements for the first year students in the first week of October while the Pre-Placements for the final placements are carried out simultaneously. This process events ends with the final placement process for the 2nd year students in the first week of December.
Students of DoMS avail themselves the opportunity of being in IIT. Some reputed companies of their fields visit the campus every year to recruit students for diverse profiles with handsome package. The highlight for the summer and final placement season of 2014 batch is given below-
Total number of students
Total number of students placed
Total number of companies participated
Highest salary offered
Highest stipend was 140000
CTC 18.5 lpa
Average salary offered
Average stipend offered was 37100
CTC 8.9 lpa
Extracurricular: Besides the regular academics and presentations, the students here also engage in extra-curricular activities as well. There are various clubs and organizations supporting various extra-curricular events. The clubs in the campus are student representations and the clubs are as follows
- FinAddicts: This is the finance club of IIT-M and is for those who want to go into finance as their career option. The members of the club organize various events like knowledge sharing sessions, publication etc.
- MarkIIT: This is the marketing club of the college and provides platform to the students to strengthen their marketing concepts by organizing case discussions, quizzes.
- Opera: This club promotes operations, supply chain, operations research, manufacturing studies and various other activities. The club has regular meetings and they organize various events such as Seminar, Quizzes, workshops, industrial visits.
- Synfosium club: This club organizes interactive sessions among the students, faculty, alumni and other professionals. The main mission of the club is to expose the students to increasing technological trends.
- Samanvay: It is the annual B-school festival at DOMS, which provides a break from the regular presentations, quizzes, lectures, etc. Various events are organized during this festival which is held for three days by the students of the department.
- ICON: Inter-Corporate Outbond National Championship (ICON) is the sports event organized by the department. It provides a platform for the students to exhibit their skills in different areas. Teams are gathered from all across the country.
- Research at DOMS, IIT-M has been ranked as top B-school research program in India.
- The department’s area of Operations Management has been ranked within the “Top 20” in the world.