A.V.C. College or Anbanathapuram Vahaira Charities College in Mannampandal, Mayiladuthurai, Tamil Nadu is an Autonomous Arts & Science Colleges which was established in 1955. The college is affiliated with Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli and has been reaccredited with ‘A’ grade by NAAC; UGC has recognized the college with Potential For Excellence.
• The college was conferred autonomous status in 1987.
• The college offers 22 UG courses, 18 PG courses, 9 Research Programmes and 3 PG Diploma in the Day College and Evening section.
• The day college admits only men students in the Under Graduate courses. Both men and women students are admitted in the PG courses.
• The College aims at giving opportunities to teachers and students to make innovations utilizing their creative talents, improving the standards of teaching, examination and research and making them quickly respond to social needs.
The college has completed FIFTY years of its existence. The growth of the institution has been remarkable. With 3782 students, 22 undergraduates, 18 postgraduates and 4 Doctoral students enrolled in the college, the College today stands like a colossus, proud of the thousands of alumni that adorn positions of prominence in all walks of life. The college has introduced evening college, started AVC Polytechnic College and AVC College of Engineering.
Being a college of this size, the college has a lot to offer when it comes to academics. The college offers 22 UG, 18 PG, 3 Diploma and 9 Research Programmes. The College has over 18 Departments some of them are:
• Computer Science
• Plant Biology and Plant Biotechnology
The college is offering both Under Graduate and Post Graduate courses in departments it has, in addition to that you can enroll for Post Diploma Course in Computer Applications. The college has got allied courses along with the undergraduate course. This college is one of those which are offering research facilities also. A few of the subjects in which the students can do research on are:
• Ph.D. Commerce
• Ph.D. Economics
• Ph.D. Zoology.
The college takes extracurricular activities very seriously and this seriousness on the part of the administration has led to the establishment of various clubs and groups in the college. Some of the noted groups are:
• Leo Club
• Junior Jaycees Club
• Red Ribbon Club
• Youth Red Cross
• Fine Arts Association
• Quiz Club
Rotract or Rotary in action is the youth wing of Rotary International. The Rotary Club of Mayiladuthurai sponsored the Rotract Club of A.V.C. College in 1969.
It is the youth wing of Lions international. The Leo Club of A.V.C. Institutions is sponsored by the Lions Club of Mayuram.
A campus diversity program in which opportunities are provided to the young students to develop interest in service to the society.
Red Ribbon Club
Red Ribbon Club (RRC), a voluntary on campus intervention is being implemented, to create HIV/AIDS Awareness among college students. RRC is organized under the control of TANSACS (Tamil Nadu AIDS control Society).
Vocational Training is given to the students so that it helps the students in self employment. The college also provides good opportunities when it comes to sports.
Being an autonomous college, AVC provides a large number of facilities for the all round development of the student. They are:
• Hostel- It has well furnished separate hostels for men and women. The girl’s hostel has an accommodation of 200 students while in the case of gents hostel the number is 250.
• Co-Operative Stores
• Concurrent Courses- The College is a recognized study centre for the Indira Gandhi National Open University and Distance Education of the Bharathidasan University.
• Tutorial System- The College provides this in which each student is under the care of a tutor who mentor the student according to the convenience of the student.
• Placement Assistance- Helping in job opportunities and self employment.
• Library-The College has a separate Library block of 15,000sq.ft that includes well furnished Internet browsing centre with 20 terminals.
• Advanced Lab facilities
• Play Field and Gymnasium
• Choice based credit system at UG and PG level
The College has achieved a lot when it comes to sports. Some of the noticeable achievements are:
• Mr. J. Vijaya Kumar (Chess, University Inter College Level, Bronze medal)
• College Women’s Team (Volley Ball, State Level, Winners)
• Ms. G. Karthiga (Long Jump, State Level Junior Athletic Championship, Winner)
The fee structure is on annual basis. The total fees consists of tuition fees, lab fees, special fees, university fees, admission fees, NSS/Flag Day/YRC fess, and miscellaneous fees.
An approximate amount of money that the student has to pay to study in this college is:
• B.A. Course: 846(INR)
• B.Sc. Course: 1096-1346(INR)
• M.Sc. Course: 1310-2010(INR)
The College has scholarship schemes and fee concession for the deserving students. Some of them are:
• State Government Scholarships
Many scholarships are awarded by the State Government to ST, SC, MBC, and BC students during their first year of study.
• National Merit Scholarship
Those candidates who obtain a first class or where no class is awarded, not less than 60% of the aggregate marks in the examination and who are on top of the merit list of eligible candidates from the state within the quota allotted for the state, will be eligible for the grant of scholarship, subject to a test by standards laid down by the government.
• Fee Concession
Fee concessions are given to the eligible students. The concession is ordinarily restricted to those who are native of Tamil Nadu or domiciled therein.
• National Loan Scholarships
• Students Aid Fund
The objective of this fund is to render free financial assistance to deserving students to meet their tuition/examination fees or to purchase books.
• Endowment Scholarships
The college offers around 150 endowment scholarships and prizes. These scholarships once awarded normally continue for the full course of one year.