The Christian Medical College Ludhiana is an educational and research institution of an all India character established and run by the minority Christian community. The Christian Medical College is situated in a large campus not far from Ludhiana Railway Station, on both sides of the Brown Road.
- Its primary aim is to educate and train Christian men and women as health professionals.
- Through education in this college the Christian Church seeks to make a significant contribution to the health standards of all communities of our nation with special emphasis on health care in the rural underserved and unreached areas/communities in India.
- The Christian Medical College is recognized by the Medical Council of India. Since July 1999 the College is affiliated with Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot, Punjab.
- It seeks to train health professionally competent socially relevant and spiritually alive with a commitment to serve the unreached and marginalized, in the Spirit of Christ.
The Campus has residential quarters for the staff, hostels for medical, nursing and paramedical students, both men and women. Our national medical and para-medical teaching staff and other staff come from nearly every state in India. There are various departments at CMC which are mentioned below :
- Anaesthesia, Anatomy
- Ent, Dietics
- Forensic Medicine
- General Surgery & General Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Physiology & Various Others
- Community Medicine
The Institute is best known for its academic excellence. It offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and research based courses. The course features are:
- The college offers MBBS, 66 post graduate diploma and degree medical courses (MS, MD), 35 Allied Health Science courses, super specialty medical courses (DM, MCh), Bachelor of Science, Master of Science and diploma courses in nursing and other fields, Fellowship courses and PhD courses.
- The MBBS course consists of four and a half years of academics, and one year of CRRI.
- Students are posted in mission hospitals and secondary care centers
CMC offers several facilities to its students so that they can pursue their courses without any obstruction and achieve the goal of their life through the education offered by it. The facilities offered by the university include Hostel, Health Care, Library, Guest House and several others.
Library of Christian Medical College is established in 1956. CMC library subscribes both national and international journals in addition to the textbooks of basic and clinical sciences. The basic highlights of the Library at CMC are:
- The library service is available for 14 hours.
- There are departmental libraries, in addition to the Medical Library; containing valuable Material supplementary to that available in the medical library access to others libraries may be obtained by permission of the departments head concerned.
- It has an open shelf system for accessing books.
- It also has an Audiovisual Section.
- It provides Current Awareness Services, Free internet facility, Private Reading Room where readers can read their own books and Display to new titles, periodicals issue etc.
Achievement and Ranking :
The Christian Medical College Ludhiana Society is registered under the Societies Act XXI of 1860. The CMC has been consistently ranked among the top medical colleges in India. The major achievement is:
- India Today ranked CMC at second position in 2010, 2012 and 2013.Outlook India ranked CMC at third in 2012.
- Since May 2010, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana has been involved in operating Children who are physically challenged under the Project Sarva Siksha Abhayan (SSA).
- The hospital was given the National Citizens Award as India’s best employer in 2003, the MM Award for Excellence in Healthcare and the Gurukulijyoti Award in 2007
Scholarship & Awards :
The University helps the students who are eager to earn higher degree and do research in any area of study. Some of the awards to the credit of CMC are:
- Dr. Gurmeet Kaur elected as President of Punjab Intensive Care Chapter 2012-13.
- National Awards for research won by Faculty/Residents.
- Dr Monika Sharma elected as Joint Secretary and Dr Atul Goel as executive member of Punjab Intensive care chapter 2012-13.