Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) commonly known as Pusa Institute is India's premier national Institute for agricultural research, education and extension.
- The Institute is situated in Delhi and financed and administered by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR). The IARI was responsible for the research leading to the "Green Revolution in India" of the 1970s.
- The IARI has the status of a ‘Deemed-to-be-University’ under the UGC Act of 1956, and awards M.Sc. & Ph.D. degrees in various agricultural disciplines.
- The present campus is a self-contained sylvan complex spread over an area of 500 hectares (approx. 1250 acres) and located about 8 km (5 miles) west of New Delhi
- The Institute has 20 divisions 5 multi-disciplinary Centres situated in Delhi, 2 off-season nurseries, 8 regional stations, 3 All India coordinated research projects with headquarters at IARI and 10 national Centres functioning under the all India coordinated research projects.
- It has the sanctioned staff strength of 3540 comprising scientific, technical, administrative and supporting personnel.
Schools at IARI:
- School of Crop Improvement
- School of Plant Protection
- School of Basic Sciences
- School of Natural Resource Management
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Horticultural Science
- Potash and Phosphate Institute of Canada(PPIC)
- United State Agency for International Development(USAID)
- International Development Research Centre(IDRC)
- Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research(CGIAR)
- International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre(CIMMYT)
- United Nations Environment Program Regional Research Centre for Asia and the Pacific (UNEP RRC.AP)
- Department of Biotechnology: Ministry of Science and Technology ( DBT )
- Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India ( DST )
- Ministry of Environment & Forest
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research ( ICAR )
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research ( CSIR)
- National Academy of Agricultural Science ( NAAS)
- National Fund for Basic and Strategic Research in Agriculture ( NFBSRA )
- National Agricultural Innovation Project ( NAIP )
- National Fellow Scheme of ICAR
Honors and Awards:
- The Institute was awarded the First Prize for doing maximum writing work in Hindi for the year 2011- 12 under the ICAR ‘Rajrishi Tandon Rajbhasa Puraskar Yojna’ & Second Prize for Institute’s Annual Rajbhasa Patrika ‘Pusa Surbhi’ under‘Ganesh Shankar Vidhyarathi Hindi Krishi Patrika Puraskar Yojna’ of ICAR for the year 2011-12 during the Director’s Conference organized on March 19, 2013.
- The IARI won the Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR Institution Award for the year 2010 (jointly with TNAU, Coimbatore) for outstanding contribution in the field of agricultural research, education and extension.
- Institute was conferred the Environment Leadership Award of ‘Agriculture Today, 2011’ for its pioneering work on development of sustainable agriculture, protection of environment, mitigation and adaptation to climate change and environmental policy planning for the benefit of farming community.
- The Indian Agricultural Research Institute received Quality Management System Standard Certificate, NS-EN ISO 9001: 2008 / ISO 9001:2008 of KVQA for providing education, research and training in the field of agriculture.
- The Institute was given the Agriculture Leadership Award 2009 by a national agriculture magazine, "Agriculture Today" for helping the country attain and maintain self-sufficiency in food grains and for improving the economic conditions of Indian farmers.
Institute Level Awards
- B.P. Pal Memorial Award
- Hooker Award
- Sukumar Basu Memorial Award
- B.P. Pal Memorial Award
- Shri Harikrishna Shastri Memorial Award
- Rao Bahadur Dr. B. Viswanath Award
- B. Joshi Award
- Best Teacher Award
Divisional Level Awards
- S.S. Bains Memorial Award
- R.D. Asana Endowment Lecture Scheme
- D.N. Puri Memorial Award
- P.B. Sarkar Memorial Endowment Lecture Award
- K.M. Singh Memorial Award
- Shri B. Lakshminarayana Memorial award
- P.K. Aggarwal Award
- Guru Prasad Pradhan Award
- P.N. Behl Award
Trainings and Workshop:
Date of Advt.
30 Sep 2014
Model Training Course on "Enhancing Water Productivity in Agriculture through The Application of Modern Tools / Techniques of Water Management in Crops"
Dec 15-25, 2014
Water Technology Center
29 Sep 2014
CAFT Training on "Empowering Farmers For Agricultural Entrepreneurial Ventures"
Nov 25-Dec 15, 2014
Division of Agricultural Extension
27 Sep 2014
Stakeholders' Workshop on Innovative Extensions Models and Approaches
October 10, 2014
Division of Agricultural Extension
23 Sep 2014
Model Training Course on "Natural Resource Management for Sustainable Agriculture"
December 15-22, 2014
Division of CESCRA
12 Sep 2014
Model Training Course on "Mass production technologies for natural enemies of crop pests"
Nov 24- Dec 01, 2014
Division of Entomology
11 Sep 2014
Model Training Course on "Valorization of Horticultural and Arable Crops"
Dec 04-11, 2014
Division of Food Science Post Harvest Technology
- Library Services: IARI Library is one of the largest and the finest agrobiological libraries in South East Asia housing a total of 6 lakh publications including 1 lakh books/monographs, 45,000 bulletins, 30,000 news clippings, 15,000 post graduate theses, 3,50,000 journal volumes, 10,000 pamphlets, 30,000 reports and other reference materials.
- Hostels: Institute has five hostels for Boys (Hemant, Vasant, Shishir, Grishm and Sharad), one for Girls (Varsha) and one Saraswati Apartment for married students.
- Sports Activity: The Institute encourages extra-curricular activities that enrich cultural, physical & social life of students. Spacious playgrounds are provided for outdoor games like cricket, hockey, football, volleyball, tennis, badminton and various athletic events. There are facilities also for indoor games like Chess, Carom & Table Tennis.
- Phytotron Facility: The Institute established a National Phytotron Facility in 1997. This is the first facility of its kind in the country to study the live responses of plants under controlled conditions and the possible impact of climate change and greenhouse gases.
- Dr. B. P. Pal Auditorium: The Auditorium is named after the ex-director of the institute Dr. B. P. Pal. It has seating capacity of 350.There are 9 other auditoriums in different divisions of IARI:
Conference Room IARI Library
Agril. Extension Auditorium
Plant Physiology Auditorium
Agril. Physics Auditorium