The Maharashtra Animal and Fisheries Sciences University or MAFSU offers education in veterinary science and animal husbandry. The University is quite very old.
- MAFSU was formally declared as a University through a notification issued on 17th November 2000 under the State Act No. 1998 on 3rd December 2000 with its headquarter in the Seminary Mountain area of Nagpur city.
- The university is recognized under UGC.
- It offers high quality education at postgraduate and doctorate level.
The affiliated colleges under this university are offering diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate studies and also Ph.D. in all the branches of animal and fishery sciences. The colleges are as follows:
- Nagpur Veterinary College.
- Nagpur, College of Veterinary and Animal Science.
- Maharashtra Animal and Fisheries Sciences.
- University College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences.
- The Parbhani and Bombay Veterinary College.
- The College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences.
- The Krantisinh Nana Patil College of Veterinary Science
- Music Club
- Literary Club
- Debating Club
- Nature & Wildlife Club
- The university also participates in every type of sports.
- Organized cultural festival.
- It has the collection of 26,432 books including all the branches
- It also subscribes to 35 national journals
- The hostel provides good quality of food and facility for recreation
- The hostel facility is offered equally to girl and boy students. It means the 50% seat is for boys and the rest 50% seat for the girls
Some of its reputed scholarships or fellowships are as follows:
- The AvrumGudelsky Veterinary Graduate Student Award for outstanding research in veterinary medicine as a graduate
- J. K. Goldhaber Travel Award for attending the American Veterinary Medical Association Meeting in Seattle
- The Merial Veterinary Research Award for Graduate Veterinarians, Athens, Georgia (USA.
- Richard B. Rimler Memorial Paper Award by American Association of Avian Pathologists
- Gold Medal for performance at MAFSU
- Dr K. S. Deshpande Memorial’s Gold medal