IIT Patna PhD Admission 2019
Updated On - October 31st 2018
IIT Patna (Indian Institute of Technology, Patna) is one of the most renowned institutions in India, was established in 2009. The institute provides a number of undergraduate, postgraduate and research programs in engineering and technology field.
IIT Patna offers PhD program in 10 specializations and selection is based on the academic qualifications, work experience followed by interview/ written test. Bright aspirants can also get direct admission into the institution.
- Application forms will be available only in online mode and can be accessed by visiting the official IIT Patna website i.e. www.iitp.ac.in.
- Application fee of INR 300 for unreserved (General/ OBC male) and INR 150 for reserved category (others) candidates must be paid through Demand Draft payable at Patna.
- Application form along with DD and other relevant documents must be sent to the institute.
- Shortlisting will be based on their educational qualifications and work experience.
- Shortlisted candidates will be called to the venue (IIT Patna) on the allotted date and time for interview round.
- Document verification process will also take place on the same day.
IIT Patna PhD Disciplines
IIT Patna offers PhD in 10 disciplines in three streams i.e. Engineering, Humanities & Social Science and Science. All the disciplines are mentioned in the table below.
1. PhD Engineering Disciplines
|Chemical & Biochemical Engineering||Civil & Environmental Engineering|
|Computer Science & Engineering||Electrical Engineering|
Materials Science & Engineering
2. PhD Science Disciplines
3. PhD in Humanities and Social Science.
Important Dates M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering & M.Phil/Ph.D in Science
| Registration || 05th - 25th Oct, 2019 |
| Last Date for receipt of completed Application Forms by IIT Patna ||05th Nov, 2019 |
IIT Patna PhD 2019 Eligibility Criteria M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering & M.Phil/Ph.D in Science
Minimum eligibility criteria for admission into PhD programs is given below
For PhD in Engineering Programs:
- Candidates should have M.Tech/M.E degree in Engineering, with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% marks; or
- Should have Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from institutes other than IITs in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 8.0 or 75% marks; or
- Bachelor’s degree from IIT in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0 Master’s degree in Science in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.5 or 70%
For PhD in Science Programs:
- Candidates should have M.Phil. or Master’s degree in Science in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% marks; or
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% marks; or
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0; or
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area in Engineering/Technology (from any Institute other than IITs/IISc) in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 8.0 or 75% marks
For PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences Programs:
- Candidates should have M.Phil or master’s degree in Arts/Commerce/Science in a relevant area with a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree from an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0; or
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from any Institute other than IITs/IISc in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.5 or 80% marks
Check IIT Patna Admission
IIT Patna PhD 2019 Application Form M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering & M.Phil/Ph.D in Science
Application form can be downloaded from website www.iitp.ac.in.
Step wise process is given below.
- Go to the official website and click on the link “PhD Application Form”
- Follow the instructions given in the section “Instruction to the candidates”
- Fill the application form i.e. personal details, academic qualification and work experience with the course applied and specialization.
- Demand Draft must be made from any nationalized bank of INR 300 for General/OBC (Male candidates) and INR 150 for SC/ST/PD/Female candidates, in favor of "IIT Patna" and payable at Patna
- Candidates are requested to send duly filled in application form along with all the documents and demand draft to
"The Assistant Registrar(Academics),
Indian Institute of Technology Patna,
- Documents to be attached with application form
- self- attested copies of mark sheets & certificates (from class X to highest degree obtained/appeared)
- GATE /NET/Relevant certificate related to any fellowship
- experience certificate and other testimonials (both sides)
- caste certificate (if applicable)
- Demand Draft
- Other important certificates (if any
IIT Patna PhD 2019 Selection Process M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering & M.Phil/Ph.D in Science
Applicants will be selected in IIT Patna PhD program on the basis of following procedure
- Candidates will be shortlisted based on the performance in GATE/NET, work experience and grades/marks in the qualifying examination
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for Interview/ written test.
IIT Patna PhD Direct Admission
IIT Patna may admit exceptionally bright students and full-time (Institute Fellows) directly into the PhD program if they secured the top rank in the last qualifying degree from a reputed Institute/University including but not limited to the IITs‚ IISc Bangalore‚ IIM‚ NITIE‚ IISER‚ NIT‚ NISER. Also, SC/ ST candidates will be given relaxation of 5% marks or 0.5 CPI.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College