IIT Patna provides the opportunity of pursuing PhD both in full time and part time in the following streams
- Social sciences
The admission is done on the basis of GATE/NET scores, along with interview and written tests.
Candidates can avail application form from official website. The application fees of 300/- is charged for General/OBC category candidates, while 150/- is charged for SC/ST/PwD.
Read about IIT Patna Courses & Fee
| M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering,|
M.Phil/Ph.D in Science
|Admission Link |
IIT Patna PhD Eligibility Criteria
For PhD in Engineering
- M.tech/ME in engineering and technology with atleast 6.5 CPI or 60% of marks.
- Bachelors in engineering and technology with a relevant area having CPI 6.5 or 60% marks.
- Master degree in science with a relevant area having CPI of 7.5 or 70% marks.
For PhD in Science
- M.Phil or Master’s degree in Science in relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% marks.
- Master degree in engineering and technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% marks.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering and technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI 7.5 or 70% marks.
For PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences
- M.Phil or Master’s degree in Arts/Commerce/Science/Management in a relevant area with a minimum of 55% marks.
- Master’s degree in engineering, technology and design in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% marks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.5 or 70% marks.
- *Candidates have to satisfy any of the one condition in all the above departments*
- The age limit is 28 years (B.Tech./MA/MCA/MBA) and 32 years for (M.Tech/ ME/M.Phil)
- The candidates from SC/ST have relaxation of 5% in marks or 0.5 in CPI.
- The part time option is only available for the residents of the country, foreign students have to opt for the full time.
- Candidates from (scheduled cast/scheduled tribe, OBC, Handicapped) enjoy a relaxation of 5 years.
IIT Patna PhD Selection Process
The candidates are selected on the basis of their score in GATE/NET, followed by written test and personal interview.
The list for the selected candidates based upon their written test and personal interview was released. Selected candidates can check their results from the official website.
The university provides admission to the exceptionally bright candidates directly (i.e. without the written test).
The candidates satisfying any of the following condition can be considered as waiver of the written test.
- B.Tech graduates from the IITs who have graduated in the respective disciplines within the last 5 years having CPI/CGPA 8/10 and above.
- Masters from the IITs/IISc who have graduated in the respective disciplines within the last five years having CPI/CGPA 8.5/10 and above.
The candidates in such cases have to apply online separately and have to submit all the documents to the assistant registrar of the academics.
No direct admission in the department of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Official website- www.iitp.ac.in
IIT Patna PhD Application Form
The candidates have to apply from the online portal of the IIT Patna. Candidates applying for different departments have to apply separately for each of the department and in the end the final pdf file should be made and submitted.
Steps wise process for application form;
- Go to on-line registration
- Click on New User Available on the Right side.
- Enter all details as required in Form.
- Verify your emaid id
- After Verification, Login to portal.
- Then click on the respective link “Vacancy: Faculty, Non-Faculty and Project Staff” and For Admission Click on: “M Tech/Ph.D”.
- Select the Department from the dropdown and after that click the post you want to apply.
- Fill all the details of Personal Details, Education/Experience, Research and Other Details.
- After filling all details click on save button and then preview the form.
- Note that you will not able to edit after final Submit.
- If required, click on Edit to make any changes.
- If you are satisfied, click on Submit. You will get a Unique Registration number generated by the system.
- Then, click on My Application link to download and print your saved application form.
- Send the hard copy of the application along with the enclosures to the address mentioned in the advertisement.
Information required while filling the application form;
- Valid email id (which you are using regularly).
- Scanned photograph up to 500Kb in jpg.
- Details of Education up to Higher Level.
- Experience Details.
- Postal address with pin-code.
The candidates from General/OBC (male) will be charged 300/- and the candidates from SC/ST/PD/FEMALE (all categories) will be charged 150/- through online mode.
Check IIT Patna Admission
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College