Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) offers admission in the research field under Science, Engineering, Technology, and Management & Humanities departments.
Students can pursue M. Phil, M.S (By Research) & Ph. D. degree in VIT Universityschools by fulfilling the desired norms & regulations. Academic performance & marks secured in the written test i.e, VITREE followed by an Interview.
Every year notification regarding admission in research programs is published in the leading newspapers by the university. With respect to the number of applications received, students are shortlisted & called for the written test followed by an interview.
The university offers the students Ph.D. and Integrated Ph.D. programs.
Students can opt for the below-mentioned categories in Ph. D. program:
- Internal Full Time: For those students who want to work on sponsored projects carried out in the institute.
- Internal Part Time: It would be applicable to staff members of the institute.
- External Full Time: Applicants who are working in academic institutions or sponsored by Research & Development (R & D) departments, National laboratories & industries having R & D facilities.
Check VIT Admission 2019
Important Dates M.Phil/Ph.D in Science , M.Phil/Ph.D in Management & M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts
| Last Date for Payment of Fees ||17th Jul, 2020 |
| Start of Academic Session ||22nd Jul, 2020 |
Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D. in Engineering/Management/Science/Humanities is given below:
Ph.D. in Engineering/Management:
- Master’s degree in Engineering / Technology / Business Administration with a first-class or a minimum 60% marks (CGPA 6.5 on a 10 – point scale) or equivalent like M.Sc (Engineering) / M.S. by Research/ M.Tech. by Research
Ph.D. in Sciences/Humanities/Languages:
M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering
- Master’s degree with a minimum of 60% in Sciences / Master’s degree with a minimum of 55% in Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages
Ph.D. in Management:
- The candidate should possess a Master of Business Administration or M.E./M.Tech. with a first-class or a minimum of 60% marks. If the University/Institute does not award any class, the CGPA of the candidate must be 6.5 on a 10 point scale to pursue the degree.
Ph.D. in Law:
- The candidate should possess Master of Laws (LLM) from any recognized University/Institute, with a first-class or a minimum of 55% marks.
Ph.D. in Fashion Technology:
- The candidate should possess M.Tech./M.E./M.Fashion Tech/M.S.[By Research]/M.Tech[By Research] in the field of Textile/Textile Engineering/Fibre Science/Textile Chemical Processing/Fashion/Apparel/Garment with a first-class or a minimum of 60% marks.
For Integrated Ph.D. in Engineering
The university offers an Integrated Ph.D. in Engineering with the following specializations:
Students with an outstanding academic record in the Bachelor’s degree in the above-mentioned disciplines with an aptitude towards advanced scientific and technological research are eligible to apply.
- A minimum of 80% marks or a CGPA of 8.0 is the primary prerequisite. Candidates who are appearing for the final examination can also apply.
How to apply for M.Phil & Ph.D. Courses M.Phil/Ph.D in Science & M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts
Ph.D. aspirants will be notified about the release of the applications through an open advertisement in the leading newspapers.
- The prescribed application form can be obtained from the Admission Officer by sending a Demand Draft of INR. 600/- drawn in favor of ‘VIT University’ payable at Vellore.
- All entries made in the Application form should be in the student’s own handwriting.
- The candidates must appear for VITREE
- The name should be in the same way as mentioned in the degree certificates. Changes, made any should be supported by Gazette officer.
- Latest passport size photograph must be affixed in the space provided in the application form.
For Integrated Ph.D. the applicants must undergo VITMEE (VIT Masters Entrance Examination)
Documents required to be enclosed along with the application form:
- SSC & HSC certificates & Marks sheet
- Degree certificates
- Migration certificate from the school last attended
- Employment certificate from present employer ( This document is very important for all categories of students under External Part-Time category)
- Complete application form super scribed with ‘Application to Ph. D./ M. S by research/ M. Phil.’ must be sent to:
VIT University, Vellore-632 014
Tamil Nadu, India
- If any student is looking for admission in more than one school then he/she should apply through a separate application form.
- In case a student is already employed; his/her application must be confirmed by their employer.
- Application without the required documents will not be entertained.
Admission Procedure for M.Phil and Ph.D. Courses M.Phil/Ph.D in Science & M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts
Applicants must satisfy the eligibility requirements to appear for the VIT Research Entrance Exam conducted by the University. Qualified candidates will receive a call from authorities regarding the Interview.
Selection will be based on the overall merit index of the candidate which will be arrived at by taking into account the candidate’s performance in the previous university examinations at Master’s level and the performance in the written test and the interview.
Performance in the Master’s degree:
Performance in Written/Interview:
In the case of Integrated Ph.D.
Selection will be done on the basis of the overall merit index of the candidate which will be arrived at by taking into account the candidate’s performance in the previous university examinations at the Bachelor’s level and the performance in the written test (VITMEE) and the interview.
Written test and Interview:
Note: Students who qualify in GATE 2019/ CSIR-UGC NET will be exempted from the written test.
The final seat will be confirmed only after payment of a prescribed fee of INR 600 & verification of certificates. Selected students have to register for Ph. D. program within one month from the date of admission.
Vellore - 632 014
Fax: 91-416-2243092, 91-416-2240411
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College