Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Thiruvananthapuram is a government-aided institute and deemed university for the study and research of space science. The institute offers admission to its doctorate programmes twice a year i.e. January and July.
Candidates can apply for January Session through the online IIST portal http://www.iist.ac.in. Applications for departments like Aerospace Engineering, Avionics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics are being accepted for January session. Last Date to apply is November 11, 2019.
Eligible candidates will be shortlisted for interview on the basis of their GATE scores and qualifying post-graduate (PG) degree merit. Final selection for admission will be done on the basis of candidate’s performance in the interview/ entrance test. Check IIST Admission 2020
| M.Phil/Ph.D in Science,|
M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering
|Admission Link |
Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D. programme
IIST offers Ph.D. programmes in the following research areas:
Candidate should be an Indian citizen and below 35 years as on 11th of November of the concerned application submission year.
Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology
- Candidate should have secured first class or equivalentin his/her Master’s Degree in Engineering / Technology. He/she must have pursued Master’s degree on the basis of qualified GATE score
- Candidates with outstanding academic record (Minimum CGPA of 8/10) in MS in Engineering or equivalent from leading foreign Universities/MS by Research can be considered without GATE scores
- Candidates with Integrated masters degree (or Dual Degree) in Engg/Tech from IITs and IISc with minimum CGPA 7.0 or 65%.
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Technology
- Candidate should have Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a minimum CGPA of 9.0/10
- He/she should possess a valid GATE score of 675 or better. B.E. / B. Tech students from IITs with minimum CGPA of 9.0/10 do not require GATE.
For Ph.D. in Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry:
- Candidate must have obtained first class or equivalent in his/her Master’s Degree in the relevant area.
- He/she must have qualified UGC/CSIR NET/JEST (or) GATE in the relevant disciplines.
- Candidate applying through JEST then they must have ranks within 300.
- Candidates applying through GATE then they must have minimum of 500 marks(450 for OBC and 350 for SC/ST/Ph.d.)
For Ph.D. in Humanities:
- Candidate must have obtained first class or equivalent in his/her Master’s Degree in the relevant area
- He/she must have qualified UGC/CSIR NET -JRF in the relevant disciplines
How to Apply
Applications shall be submitted only through online registration process through the official IIST website.
- Once the application is submitted, candidate must pay the concerned application fee of Rs. 700/- per Department code (For SC/ST/PWD and Women - Rs.250/- per Department code) through Bank challan. The application fee is non-refundable
- If the candidate wishes to apply for more than one Department code, he/she must submit the application and fee for the respective Department codes separately
- All the candidates have to bring the Bank challan copy of the respective Department code at the time of the interview as proof
- Candidates employed in Government/Semi Government/PSUs/Autonomous Bodies should produce a “No Objection Certificate (NOC)” from the current employer at the time of interview. SC/ST/OBC/Persons with Disabilities (PWD) candidates shall upload the relevant certificate before the prescribed date
Admission Process for Ph.D. programme
Candidates shortlisted for the written test and interviews will be notified through the official website.
- The test will be of 90 minutes duration.
- It will be conducted in cities namely Thiruvananthpuram, New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Chennai.
- There will be two parts A (Quant and Mathematics) and B(Subject Areas).
- Part A is of 40 Marks and the time allotted for it is 30 minutes.
- Part B is of 60 Marks and the time allotted for it is 60 minutes.
Candidates who qualified the screening written test will be called for the interview process.
Final Shortlisted candidates list will be published on the official website.
Research Fellowships: The scholars will be required to assist the Departments in tutorials / practicals or related academic activities normally limited to 6 hours per week. Research Fellowships are as per Government of India norms.
- Research scholars who possess PG Degree in Basic Science with NET or equivalent qualification OR Graduate Degree in Professional Course with NET or equivalent qualification OR Post Graduate Degree in Professional Course will receive a Fellowship of INR 31,000/- per month
- After 2 years of research experience, candidate’s performance will be evaluated by a review committee. Based on the review, the fellowship amount may be boosted to INR 35,000/- per month
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College