University of Calicut offers 24 undergraduate and 22 postgraduate programs. In addition to it, Calicut University also offers full time and part time Ph.D. programs. There are 28 postgraduate teaching and research departments at the university. For admission to either of the research programs offered by the university, one must have had obtained a master’s degree in the same or related field of research. Application forms for Ph.D. program are available online on the official university website. Moreover, the university also offers education through distance learning mode via School of distance education, Calicut University.
Admission to Ph.D. is based on an entrance examination conducted by the University Department and the marks obtained in the qualifying examination. Candidates who clear the entrance exam will then be called for an interview at the university. The final Admission decision will be a resultant of all the three factors taken together. Also, check Calicut University Admission 2019.
University of Calicut Result 2019:
Candidates may check their result from the official website by choosing respective course. Students may follow these steps to download the result from the official website:
- Visit the official website of the university.
- Go to the students’ and click on “Examination Results”.
- Select the desired course and fill in the required details.
- Click on “Submit” after filling the details.
Foe more details, check Calicut University Result.
Calicut University Application Process
You can apply for Ph.D. program through online mode on the official website of Calicut University.
- You can pay application and entrance examination fee to Calicut University Fund by e-payment (SBT online/SBT e-challan/Friends/Akshaya e-challan/Payment gateway).
- Visit official admission website of Calicut University and Click on “Fee Remittance” link. Select the purpose 'Application and entrance examination fee for Ph.D. admission 2019-20'.
- The print out of the application duly attested with e-challan receipt should reach the Head of the University Teaching Departments on or before the last date. In case of those subjects which have not been offered in the Teaching Departments of this University, the applications, in that case, should be submitted to-
Directorate of Admission,
Tagore NIkethan, University of Calicut
The online registration ID number is mandatory for downloading hall tickets. Students should keep the ID number for all future communications. Hall tickets for the entrance examination should be downloaded 3 days prior to the examination day.
Shortlisted students after the entrance examination, or otherwise eligible should apply directly for admission to the Department or Centre or Affiliated Colleges (based on their preference) in the prescribed forms along with the application fee.
Candidates have to apply for entrance test and pay the fees separately if they are applying for two different disciplines.
General candidates: INR 550/-
SC/ST candidates: INR 235/-
- Self-attested copies of Certificates and Mark sheets
- E-challan receipt
- Community Certificate (only for SC/ST candidates)
- A self-addressed stamped envelope of size 23 x 10 cm
Eligible candidates after the entrance examination should apply for admission in the prescribed format along with a challan of Rs.50/-.
Calicut University Eligibility Criteria
The University of Calicut offers full-time and part-time research Ph.D. programmes in University departments under the following faculties:
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Language & Literature
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Commerce & Management Studies
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Journalism
- Faculty of Fine Arts
Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D. programs:
- One should have passed Master Degree Examination or a professional degree recognized as equivalent by University of Calicut with at least grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale or equivalent or at least 55% marks.
- Applicants who have passed M.Phil. degree with a minimum of grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent are eligible to do research work leading to the Ph.D. degree.
- The ones working in National Laboratories- Universities/Institutes/Government/Private Organization nominated/sponsored by the respective employer and also have a postgraduate or a professional degree with at least grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale or at least 55% marks in aggregate.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST categories will be given a relaxation of 10% and OBC candidates will be given a relaxation of 5%.
- One whose M.Phil. dissertation has been evaluated and the viva score is pending may be admitted to the Ph.D. programme of the same institution.
The following applicants are exempted from appearing for the Entrance Exam-
- Those who qualify UGC-NET/JRF, UGC-CSIR-NET/JRF, SLET, GATE and research fellowships of Central and State Government departments/ agencies as approved by the University.
- Full-time teachers of the University departments/Govt. or Aided Colleges affiliated to the University of Calicut.
- Foreign nationals who are eligible for admission.
- Those who have been selected on the basis of a written Test and interview, working in a research project under the guidance of a research guide of the University.
- M.Phil. Degree holders.
Reservation of Seats
- SC/ST : 20% of the seats shall be reserved for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes to be filled up on merit basis.
- Out of the 5% reserved for Scheduled Tribes, one percent (1%) or five seats, whichever is higher, are reserved for Primitive Tribes in the districts of Thrissur, Palakkad, Malappuram, Kozhikode, Wayanad.
- 20% of the seats for admission will be reserved as management quota.
- 10% of the seats will be reserved for the community to which the college belongs (this will be 20% in the case of colleges belonging to Backward Communities)
- 50% of the seats will be reserved for admission on open merit. (40% in the case of colleges belonging to backward communities).
Calicut University Selection Procedure
Admission to Ph.D. is based on ranking in the entrance examination conducted by the research Department and the marks obtained in the qualifying examination.
About Entrance Test
The entrance exam will be conducted by Research Departments in December. The Candidates who secure minimum 50% marks (40% marks for SC/ST candidates, 45% marks for OBC candidates) in the entrance examination are eligible to apply for registration to the Ph.D. programme.
Students who have been shortlisted after appearing for the entrance examination, or otherwise eligible, shall apply to the Department/Centre/Affiliated Colleges directly in the prescribed forms along with application fee for admission.
Those candidates who are exempted from the entrance test can seek admission any time during the academic year.
Those candidates who wish to appear for the entrance exam in 2 different disciplines should contact the concerned departments so that the departments could make the necessary arrangements to conduct the exam accordingly.
Rules and Regulations
Here are few rules and regulations that are to be followed as per the university organization, which are listed as follows:-
- Inclusiveness: Opportunity for one and all to do research, registration on liberal basis and joining of teachers from any school for part time research without attempting entrance examination.
- Openness: Research guide-ships to all non-faculty members, liberal attitude towards every affiliated college for promoting research, permanent affiliation after ten successful years and all teaching departments are deemed to be research centers.
- Quality Measures: Course work made compulsory, research publication obligatory and check measures against fake practices in research.
- More Research Opportunity: Research positions of guide increased from five to eight and all faculty members become research guides from their date of joining.
- Protecting Civil Rights: Measures to curb unethical research.
- Evaluating Mechanisms: Simple but smooth evaluating mechanisms and time-bound evaluation made compulsory.
For further details regarding rules and regulations regarding Ph.D admission to Calicut University, Read Here
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College