Quock Updates 2020: IIT Bombay PhD Admission
April 24: Reservation norms for OBC quota has been updated. Check
April 24: Regulations for applying under EWS category released. Check
April 24: Vaccination certificate for PhD candidates. Check
IIT Bombay invites applicants for PhD admissions for the 2020-2021 session in a total of 26 categories. The announcement was made through its official website and newspaper publications on 15 March 2020. Online applications have been extended till 15 May 2020 for Autumn semester.
Students who completed a Master’s degree from a recognised university and are selected through National-level exams like UGC-NET can apply for this program. However, candidates will be selected based on their performance in written tests and personal interview.
Students can apply from the official website of the institute. The details and links are provided in the table below:
|Name of Institute||IIT Bombay|
|Online Application||PhD Admission 2020-2021 (Autumn Semester)|
|Online Application Dates||15 March 2020 - 15 May 2020|
|Online Application Fee||300/- (General), 150/- (Women/ SC/ ST/ EWS)|
|Online Application Link||Click Here|
|PhD Admission Brochure Link||Click Here|
|Registration Portal Link||Click Here|
|PhD Program Schedule Link||Click Here|
| M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering,|
M.Phil/Ph.D in Design,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Law,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Management,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Science
|Admission Link |
IIT Bombay Ph.D Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates applying for PhD programs need to have completed a Master’s degree in arts, commerce, science, technology or engineering.
- Additional requirements include a valid score through GATE/CEED/UGC-NET
- Candidates should be selected through any national level exams like UGC-NET, IISc, IISER or IIIT.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience is required after completing all the aforementioned degrees.
The documents that are required for online applications to PhD programs are as follows:
- Scanned copies of photographs and signature
- Statement of Purpose in 250 words containing details of academic and problem interests, future plannings after PhD, 200 words on current relevant activities and 50 words on motivation for applying.
- Research proposal
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- Mark sheets for all academic degrees
Read more:IIT Bombay Admission
IIT Bombay PhD Admission: Selection procedure
The selection procedure can be categorised into two broad phases: application shortlisting and written/interview phases.
- Shortlisting is done based on previous academic records and GATE/UGC-NET scores
- The relaxations are considered based on the Government of India norms which are as follows:
General/ OBC(NC)/ EWS
- An aggregate of 60% marks or first class in the Master’s degree
- Alternatively, minimum 6.0 CGPA or equivalent on a scale of 10
- Minimum 55% marks in Master’s degree in Arts, Commerce or allied subjects as Design and Social Science
- An aggregate of 55% marks or first-class specified by University in a Master’s degree
- Minimum of 5.5 CGPA or equivalent in a scale of 10
- At least 50% marks in masters degree in arts, commerce, design or social sciences
- The final selection is done based on the performance at written tests and personal interview. This is solely pertaining to the Teaching Assistance category.
- Written tests are department-specific and students need to apply for written tests according to their research area of interest.
- Students shortlisted from the written test will be notified and called for an interview.
Note for PWD candidates: PWD candidates can apply for one-time second class railway fare for the shortest route between the place of residence and institute. PWD candidates applying for more than 1 discipline will be only 1 grant.
Also, check IIT Bombay Courses & Fees
How to apply online for PhD admissions?
Applications for IIT Bombay PhD admissions are submitted online. Students need to apply through their official website, the steps for which are as follows:
- Visit the IIT Bombay online portal for PhD admissions.
- New users need to register with a valid email address and password.
- The email address will be used as a communication pathway to share details of the application form link.
- Apply with all the personal details and academic records.
- Make the payments through net banking, credit cards or debit cards.
- Submit the application.
Note for students: There are no downloadable forms available. Additionally, no application can be complete without payment of application fees. Students are advised to download a copy of the application submitted for future reference.
Financial Support for PhD candidates
IIT Bombay provides financial support to all its PhD candidates based on MHRD norms categorically for Teaching Assistantship (TA), Research Assistantship (RA) and TA or RA through projects. The details for which are stated below;
Teaching Assistantship (TA)
- Payable assistantship is available for 5 years and even upto submission of thesis
- For first 2 years, monthly rate is 31,000/- and following years will be 35,000/-
- Candidates will be applicable for working as Teaching Assistants for 8 hours every week
Research Assistantship (RA)
- Candidates will be selected for payable assistantship for 5 years and till thesis submission
- Monthly stipend is 35,000/- for first 2 years and then 39,000/- for the remaining period.
- Candidates have to look for laboratories and assist in research work for 20 hours a week
TA and RA through Research Projects
- Candidates who applied in this category are sponsored by the projects of which they are a part
- Payable upto 5 years and until thesis submission
About the Institute:
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay is a government technical and research institute. Founded in 1958 in Powai, Mumbai, Parliament decreed IITs as institutes of national importance in 1961. At present, IIT Bombay offers PhD programs in 26 prominent fields.
Ques. How to apply for PhD programs in IIT Bombay?
Ans. Application has to be made online through the official website of IIT Bombay. There is no downloadable application form available.
Ques. What is the application fee for PhD admissions at IIT Bombay?
Ans. The application fee is 300/- (general candidates), and women/SC/ST/EWS candidates have to pay 150/-.
Ques. Is there any cut-off of NET scores for IIT Bombay PhD admissions?
Ans. There is no specific cut-off mentioned for NET yet students need to have at least 60% marks across all examinations.
Ques. What is the mode of payment for application?
Ans. Payment can be made through net banking, credit or debit cards.
Ques. What should be done if any issue arises while filling an online application form?
Ans. Click on the ‘Report Problem...Otherwise’ tab on the portal and submit the query. The staff will revert back to the candidate.
Ques. Is there any scope for a written test waiver for IIT Bombay PhD admissions?
Ans. Yes, students who graduated from the IITs with a minimum of 8.0 CGPA can apply for a written test waiver.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College