Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur is inviting applications for admission to the Ph.D. Programme [Regular, Sponsored, Working Professionals, and Individual Fellowship (i.e. CSIR/UGC/DBT/ICMR/INSPIRE categories)].
The admission process is open for all disciplines of Engineering, Technology, Science, Architecture & Regional Planning, Humanities & Social Sciences, Rural Development, Law and Management. Students can apply online through the official website from 1st April 2020. The last date of online submission of application is 10th May 2020. Students willing to apply for a Ph.D. in IIT Kharagpur should have a minimum of 60% in their previous educational qualification. Students also need to have NET/ GATE scores for applying for admission in Ph.D. courses in IIT Kharagpur.
|Name of University||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur|
|Admission for ||Ph.D. Program|
|Link to Notification||Check Here|
|Date of commencement of online application||April 01, 2020|
|Last Date of online submission of application||May 10, 2020|
|Last date for receipt of hard copy of the completed application (for Ph.D. through Project category only) at the Academic(PGS&R) Section||May 10, 2020|
|Test & Interview to be conducted in the respective Departments/Centres/Schools (for shortlisted candidates)||To be declared later on the official website|
|Issue of Offer letters to the Selected Candidates ||To be declared later on the official website|
| M.Phil/Ph.D in Management,|
M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Architecture,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Law,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Science,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts
|Admission Link |
IIT Kharagpur Ph.D. Departments
Here is a list of the various departments at IIT Kharagpur where you can apply for a Ph.D.:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agricultural and Food Engineering
- Architecture and Regional Planning
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering
- Geology and Geophysics
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture
IIT Kharagpur Ph.D. Admission 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Students who desire of pursuing their Ph.D. program from IIT Kharagpur need to check out the eligibility criteria before applying for admission. You would also require to keep all your previous mark sheets and work papers if any with you during the online application. Here are the general eligibility criteria for admission to IIT Kharagpur for PhD.:
- Minimum 60% marks or a CGPA of 6.5 in 10 point scale in the qualifying examination (3.2.a and/or 3.2.b) in Engineering /Science /Commerce /Management/ Law and/or equivalent
- Minimum 55% marks or a CGPA of 6.0 in 10 point scale in the qualifying examination (3.2.a and/or 3.2.b) in Humanities/Social Science/MBBS degree and/or equivalent
Minimum Qualifying Degree for Ph.D. Program
Here are the minimum qualifying degree for applying for Ph.D. programs in IIT Kharagpur:
- M.Tech (Master of Technology) / MS / ME (Master of Engineering)/ M.Sc.(Engg.,)
- M. Arch./ MCP (Master of City planning) /MRP (Master of Regional Planning)
- M. Phil. (2 years program)
- MBA / PG Diploma in Management of 2-year duration (after completion of B.Tech/M.Sc/MA/M.Com)
- LLM (2 years program) after EITHER at least 5 years of integrated LLB degree after 10+2 examination OR 3 years LLB degree after 10+2+3 examination
- A degree equivalent to any of the above
Check IIT Kharagpur Admission
IIT Kharagpur Ph.D. Admission Selection Process
The admission of a candidate to the Ph.D. program is recommended by the Departmental Academic Committee (Post-Graduate and Research), abbreviated as DAC (PG&R), of the Department/Centre concerned on the basis of
- Overall Academic Performance
- Written/Computer Test
- . Interview
Read more: IIT Kharagpur Courses & Fees
How to Apply for IIT Kharagpur Ph.D. Admission?
Application for IIT Kharagpur Ph.D. courses is open online. Students need to visit the official website and fill up the application form with the application fees. You would need to register with your email id and other details to apply for admission.
Here are the steps you can follow to apply for Ph.D. admission in IIT Kharagpur:
- Visit the official PhD portal of IIT Kharagpur i.e. www.iitkgp.ac.in/phd
- Click on the link that reads, ‘Ph.D. Program (Regular, Sponsored, CSIR/UGC, INSPIRE Fellowship) - Apply Online’
- Register with Your Email Id and Login.
- Fill appropriate and necessary information in the application form
- Complete the payment process and submit
- Download the final filled up form and keep a printout for future reference.
IIT Kharagpur Ph.D. Admission 2020 Application Fee
|For Unreserved/OBC/EWS/Transgender candidates||Rs.1000/-|
|For SC/ST/PwD/ Women candidates||Rs.500/-|
|Mode of Payment||Through online payment gateway only.|
IIT Kharagpur Admission Additional Requirement
Apart from the minimum regular requirements, there are some additional requirements that students interested in applying should check. These additional requirements vary on the different types of admission and the course structure. The different categories of admission and their requirement details have been discussed below:
Regular with institute Assistantship
Candidates should have the following qualifications to apply for a regular Ph.D. with institute assistantship:
- Students should possess a valid GATE score above the cut off level (accepted for M.Tech./MCP admission in a particular year) as decided by the Senate from time to time
NET qualification with Lectureship/Assistant Professorship for the award of Institute Research Assistantship.
- A candidate who is currently employed has to resign if his admission is accepted by the university. He has to produce the acceptance of resignation by the employer at the time of joining or produce a document that he/she is not receiving any salary from his/her employer along with a proper document of sanctioned leave.
- No Research Student shall be permitted to receive any emoluments, salary, stipend or any other scholarship/assistantship during the tenure of Institute Research Assistantship.
- Award- Rs. 31,000/- pm for first 2 years
Rs. 35,000/- pm for the next 3 years
Individual Fellowship (CSIR/UGC/DBT/ICAR/INSPIRE etc.)
Students applying for the individual fellowship should meet the following criteria:
- must have valid award letter with fellowship issued by the respective fellowship agency (i.e. CSIR/UGC/ DST/DBT/ICMR etc.).
- shall not be entitled for Institute Research Assistantship.
- Students having provisional Individual Fellowship award letter must give an undertaking that “In case of cancelation/withdrawal of Provisional award of fellowship by the funding agency, the admission at IIT Kharagpur will be canceled from the date of joining the Ph.D. program and there is no liability on the part of IIT Kharagpur in this regard”.
The requirements for a sponsored PhD at IIT Kharagpur are:
- Minimum of two-year job experience in the following fields
- Defense or other ministries of the Government of India or any other government organizations;
- Established industrial research and development organizations;
- Autonomous bodies and public undertakings;
- Reputed industries as may be recognized by the Institute.
- must submit his/her application in the prescribed form along with No objection cum sponsorship certificate for admission through his/her employer
- Students are required at the time of joining the Institute, to produce the certificate in the prescribed form from the employers to the effect: (i) that he/she has been officially released from his duties for purpose of joining the program and has been granted leave for the required period; (ii) that his services shall be retained with the employer.
- the minimum residential requirement is one year at a stretch subject to the successful completion of course work.
- A candidate sponsored by an industry, an R&D organization, educational institution or a Government organization having adequate research facilities may be allowed to work externally subject to his/her fulfilling all such conditions prescribed in the Regulations.
Ph.D. through Project
The additional qualification requirements are:
- A candidate should be working in a sponsored project of the Institute (i.e. under auspices of SRIC of the Institute)
- must submit his/her application in the prescribed form for admission through Principal Investigator, Head of the Department/Centre/School, and Dean (SRIC) with suitable endorsement.
- The minimum remaining period of the project as well as the tenure of the project employee should be at least 2 years from the date of joining the Ph.D. program.
B.Tech from IITs
- Tech degree and Dual Degree (B.Tech & M.Tech ) holders having final CGPA >= 8.00 from Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) will be given direct admission in Ph.D. program with Institute Research Assistantship.
Ph.D. program for Working Professionals with Minimum Residential Requirements
- She/he should be having (at least) B Tech/BE/MBBS/MSc degree (or equivalent degrees) from a reputed educational institution with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 in a 10 point scale or 75 percentage of marks in their Bachelor’s as well as Masters’ degree (if applicable). However, any conversion of CGPA to marks (or vice versa) to meet this criterion will not be permitted.
- Two years of post-qualification experience
- Candidates need to provide a ‘NO OBJECTION’ certificate issued from their company, stating it has no issues with the candidate pursuing PhD under the proposed scheme: PhD Program for Working Professionals
Ques. Can I pay the registration fees through DD?
Ans. No, you cannot pay your registration fee through DD. Payment has to be made by online mode only.
Ques. Do I need to send any document/print-out of the Application form to the GATE office, IIT Kharagpur?
Ans. There is no need to send any hardcopy of the application form or other documents to IIT Kharagpur. All necessary documents have to be uploaded at the time of filling the application. However, you may keep a print-out of the application form for your reference.
Ques. What are the documents that I have to upload at the time of filling the application?
Ans. You have to upload proof of qualification e.g. qualifying degree certificate or final year marks sheet which indicates the overall percentage of marks/CGPA. If you belong to SC/ST/OBC-NCL/EWS category, then the necessary and valid category certificate has to be uploaded along with the qualifying certificate. Persons with Disability (PwD) candidates have to upload the necessary PwD certificate along with the other documents listed above.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College