Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has invited applications from eligible candidates for admission to Ph.D. Programs under Regular/Part-Time/External Schemes in various disciplines. Students need to visit the official website and check the notification for admission. It is advised to carefully check the instructions and eligibility criteria before applying. The application fee ranges from Rs 50- Rs 100 only. Students will be selected on the basis of merit, entrance exam tests like GATE, NET, and interview organised by the respective departments.
|Name of the University||Indian Institute of Technology Madras|
|Notification for||Ph.D. Admissions 2020|
|Start of Online Application||1 March 2020|
|Last Date of Application||3 May 2020 (5:00 pm)|
|Starting date of course||06 July 2020|
Check IIT Madras Courses & Fees
| M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering,|
M.Phil/Ph.D in Science,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Management
|Admission Link |
Minimum Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D. Admission at IIT Madras in Different Categories
Ph.D. in Engineering
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record.
- Master’s degree by Research in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record
- 5 Year Dual Degree in Engineering or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a good academic record
- Students with 2 Year M.Sc. from IITs (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above do not need to qualify in any National Level Examination
- Students must have a valid GATE score or UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF or equivalent qualification in the relevant area tenable for the year of registration.
- For Students with Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology AND possess more than 5 years of relevant work experience after the Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology, the requirement of a test score may be waived by the Selection Committee.
Ph.D. in Sciences
- Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and having a valid GATE score or UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF/NBHM/INSPIRE
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree/ 5 Year Integrated degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a good academic record.
- Students with a 2 Year M.Sc. from IITs (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above do not need to qualify for any National Level Examination.
- Students who get more than 8.0 CGPA in M.Sc. in Science Departments of IIT Madras are admitted directly to their Ph.D. program in Sciences with interviews at the departmental level.
Ph.D. in Humanities and Social Sciences
- Master’s degree / dual degree or equivalent in relevant discipline AND Qualifying UGC – NET or JRF / CSIR-JRF / GATE Score or equivalent qualification tenable for the current year in the relevant area or international level postgraduate admission examination such as GRE (Non-HTRA)
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree/ 5 Year Integrated degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a good academic record
Ph.D. in Management
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in any professional discipline of minimum four years duration or Master's degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline, with a good academic record.
- Qualifying in national level examinations such as GATE/CAT/UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF or equivalent or international level postgraduate admission examination such as GMAT/GRE (Non-HTRA).
- At least 5 years of managerial experience in lieu of the above examination. (This clause is applicable for Non-HTRA candidates only)
- Master’s degree in Engineering / Technology with a good academic record or a Master’s degree by Research in Engineering / Technology in a relevant discipline are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
- Candidates with MBA or 2 year PG diploma from Centrally Funded Technical Institute (CFTI) with CGPA of 8 and above are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
Read more: IIT Madras Admission
Selection Procedure for Ph.D. Admission at IIT Madras
Applicants who qualify for the minimum eligibility in the various courses of Ph.D. would be called for an interview by the Selection Committees of the respective departments. Students who have obtained a PG degree 10 years earlier as on the last date prescribed for receipt of the completed application, a departmental test will be conducted.
Documents required at the time of Interview
- A printed copy of the application mailed to the candidates after online registration.
- Copies of all Mark sheets/grade cards/provisional/degree certificates beginning from a first degree towards proof of qualification.
- Copy of Community Certificate in the case of SC/ST/OBC-NCL candidates issued by the respective State Government. The candidates claiming for EWS (Economically Weaker sections) reservation should submit a valid certificate issued by the concerned authority.
- Authorized Doctor’s Certificate of disability descriptions in the case of Person with Disabled (PwD) candidates.
- Copy of GATE score or NET (UGC-JRF/NEt/CSIR-JRF/ DAE-JEST) or other fellowship awards.
- Project Coordinator's certificate in the prescribed format and a copy of the project appointment letter from Dean IC & SR of IITM in the case of Project Associate if already appointed.
Documents Required at the time of Admission
Here are a list of the documents that students need to carry during their admission:
- The offer of admission.
- Birth Certificate.
- Aadhar No.
- The first page of SSLC/SSC/Matriculation certificate along with application form.
- Original GATE Score Card/UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF/DAE-JEST or other fellowship award letter.
- Degree certificate/Provisional/Course completion certificate/Grade Cards/Mark sheets of all the semesters of degrees obtained SC/ST/OBC-NCL community certificate for the candidate belonging to SC/ST/OBC-1NCL category. [OBC-NCL scholars to upload the latest valid Non-creamy layer community certificate in the prescribed format obtained after October 01, 2018]. The candidates claiming for EWS (Economically Weaker sections) reservation should submit valid certificates issued by the concerned authority.
- Relieving order/Resignation acceptance letter from the employer in the case of Regular candidates (HTRA / NHTRA / PROJECT / CSIR-JRF / UGC-JRF), if employed except candidates selected under IITM Staff scheme.
How to Apply for Ph.D. in IIT Madras?
The application form for Ph.D. at IIT Madras is available on the official website. Students who are willing to apply for the Ph.D. will have to check the official website and fill up the application form. Students need to first log in to the official website to fill up the application form. It should be noted that the application form will not be successfully submitted without paying the application fee. Students need to carry the printout of the application form with them for their interviews. Here are the steps you should follow to successfully fill up the Ph.D. admission form:
- Sign-up / Register at https://research.iitm.ac.in/user.
- use the “Apply to Department” menu to fill in the application ( Maximum 3 applications allowed per user).
- Upon registering, an email will be sent to the email ID which will contain a link to activate the account.
- Update profile information under the “My Profile” menu.
- An application number is generated after finishing the payment process.
- A mail containing application will be sent to mail ID.
Application Fee for Ph.D. at IIT Madras
The students who want to apply for a Ph.D. program at IIT Madras need to pay the application fee to fill up the application form successfully. Here are the application fees for the different categories of applicants:
|For GN/EWS/OBC-NCL Male candidates||Rs.100/-|
|For GN/EWS/OBC-NCL Female candidates||Rs.50/-|
|For SC/ST and PwD candidates||Rs.50/-|
Financial Assistance for Ph.D. Students
Students who are admitted to Ph.D. programs at IIT Madras under Regular Scheme are eligible for a Half-Time Research Assistantship (HTRA). The conditions which students need to fulfill in order to get selected for the assistantship are:
- They should work for 8 hours per week in the Departments to earn this assistantship.
- The assistantship is renewed every semester. Students should show good performance in the research and the preceding semester to continue with the assistantship
Award for HTRA
|M.Sc./M.A/M.Com or equivalent qualification with valid GATE/NET||Rs.31,000/- p.m. First 2 years||Rs.35,000/- p.m. next 3 years|
|M.E/M.Tech or equivalent qualification||Rs.31,000/- p.m. First 2 years|
Ques. What are the different modes of payment available?
Ans. The different modes of payment available are Debit Card/Credit Card /Net Banking.
Ques. What are the required documents for upload?
Ans. Photo is mandatory. If you have taken any Qualifying Exam, the Score Card of Qualifying Exam is mandatory. If you have got a University Rank, a certificate of the University Rank is mandatory.
Ques. How long is a GATE Score valid?
Ans. Only for 3 years.
Ques. I want to apply to more than 4 departments now, how to do?
Ans. You can submit separate applications to departments of your choice by paying a separate application fee.
Ques. I am not able to apply to any department?
Ans. You need to fill up the mandatory field in the “My Profile” section, Check the “Submit Profile” option and then move to the “Apply to Department” Page.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College