IIT Roorkee offers two year full time M.Tech courses with 39 specializations to choose from. The students can pursue M.Tech in any department of his/ her choice.
- The students should have completed B.E./ B.Tech from any recognized University with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks.
- The selection to M.Tech IIT Roorkee is done through GATE examination conducted annually.
- Sponsored candidates may be admitted through a written entrance test and Interview. However, preference is always given to candidates who are GATE qualified.
- Candidates seeking admission in M.Tech programmes offered by IIT Roorkee have to register at GATE COAP 2020 portal which is used for conducting centralized counselling.
- The total fee/ year of pursuing M.Tech is INR 2.17 Lakhs.
Among the 39 specializations offered, some of the most sought ones are:
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Industrial Metallurgy
- Chemical Engineering
- Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
IIT Roorkee M.Tech Admission Highlights 2020
The candidates interested in seeking admission to Ph.D. courses of Delhi University should have a look at the following facts. The 39 specializations are also tabulated below:
|Basic Eligibility Criteria||B.E./ B.Tech|
|Basic Admission Criteria||GATE|
The students should regularly check the dates and notices related to M.Tech admissions and entrance tests i.e. the GATE exam. Some of the information is provided below:
|GATE examination date||1st, 2nd, 8th and 9th February, 2020|
|Announcement of GATE Result 2020||March 16, 2020|
|Start of Online Application Process||March 20, 2020*|
|Last Date for Online Application Submission and Deposit of fee||April 15, 2020*|
(*The following dates are tentative and subject to change due to the ongoing Covid- 19 Pandemic.)
- The candidates must have completed B.E./ B.Tech from any recognized college with a minimum aggregate of 60%(For General and OBC category) and 55% (For SC/ ST/ PWD categories).
- The candidates must have appeared for GATE and obtained minimum qualifying marks.
- The candidates can also appear for direct admission without GATE if they belong to an IIT and have a minimum CGPA of 8.
Check IIT Roorkee Courses & Fees
IIT Roorkee M.Tech Selection Criteria
- The candidates are selected on the basis of marks obtained in GATE examination and entrance test followed by an Interview at IIT Roorkee.
- For the students who have not given GATE, they are selected on the basis of marks scored in Bachelors degree. Minimum CGPA should be 8.
The candidates are selected on the based on merit which is prepared by considering 70% GATE score and 30% Bachelors degree marks.
The previous year GATE cutoffs for securing a rank at IIT Roorkee for some of the major specializations are listed below:
|Specialization Name||GATE Cut-Off|
|Electronics and Communication Engg.||744|
|Computer Science and Engg.||844|
|Materials and Metallurgical Engg.||667|
Click here IIT Roorkee Admission
IIT Roorkee M.Tech Entrance exam
The students have to give GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) as an entrance exam to any of the M.Tech courses at IIT Roorkee. It is an online examination which includes MCQ’s as well as numerical based questions. The exam in conducted for 25 streams each having syllabus of its own subject with general aptitude being common in all.
- The maximum marks allotted are 100 and the exam lasts for 180 minutes.
- 1/3 for 1 mark MCQ and 2/3 for 2 mark MCQ are deducted for wrong answers.
GATE exam is conducted at various cities across the country as well as abroad. The six exam centers that are located outside India are in Dubai, Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, Singapore, and Kathmandu.
For admission to M.Tech programmes offered by IIT Roorkee the students need to fill an online application form available on the official website.
- The candidates need to login to the official account and read the PG Information Brochure carefully before proceeding to fill the application form.
- After registering, the candidates are required to fill the personal and educational details and upload the self attested copies of the required documents.
- The documents required are: Applicant’s photo, applicant’s signature, UG all semesters/year Marksheets, UG Degree, GATE Score Card, Class X and XII Marksheet, Caste Certificate (if applicable), Sponsorship Certificate and transfer certificate.
- The application form will be complete on successful payment of application fees.
- The candidates need to pay an application fee of INR 300 for General/ OBC Category and INR 150 for PWD/ SC/ ST category, online using net banking or debit/credit card facilities.
- Foreign national are exempted from paying any application fees.
As per the norms of the Government of India, certain seats are reserved for various categories such as :
- For Scheduled Caste: 15%, for Scheduled Tribes: 7.5%, for Other Backward Classes: 275 and for Persons with Disability: 3%.
- It will be entirely the responsibility of the candidate to prove his/ her eligibility for claiming seats under the reservation criteria.
- The candidates must have the proper eligibility for taking admission and should have a valid GATE score card.
Ques. Can a candidate seek admission to more than one course?
Ans. Yes, the candidates can seek admission to various departments and courses. The maximum Departments can be 4 and courses that they can apply for can be 13. However, the candidate should submit only one application form.
Ques. Is there any scholarship provided by the college for M.Tech students?
Ans. Yes, the meritorious students do receive monetary help as per Government norms. For example, apart from GATE score holders who get fixed stipend, B.Tech. Degree holders from any IIT with minimum CGPA of 8.00 and given admission without GATE are also eligible for MHRD assistantship.
Ques. How many times can a candidate appear for GATE?
Ans. There is no age limit for a candidate to appear for GATE and pursue M.Tech from IIT Roorkee or any other career choice.
Ques. How many choices of examination centers can one choose while registering for GATE?
Ans. The candidate can choose a maximum of 3 cities as his/ her choice. The choice should be made carefully as it cannot be changed afterwards.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College