Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar also known as IIT Gandhinagar offers doctoral programs in a variety of subjects. Around 12 disciplines of Engineering, Technology & basic Science streams are offered for Ph.D admissions.
Candidates with at least 60% or 6.5 CGPA marks in MA / M.Sc / M.Tech or any equivalent degree in appropriate discipline will be eligible for Ph.D admission in IIT Gandhinagar.
A limited number of candidates are selected based on the academic scores in the previous qualifying examination and scores obtained in national level examinations like GATE or UGC-NET or JRF or CSIR for direct interview call.
The shortlisted candidates are called for a written test and/or personal interview. Final selection is based on the performance of the candidates in all areas of evaluation.
Application forms for various Ph.D programs offered by IIT Gandhinagar for admission should be filled online from the official website. Candidates can apply for more than one course also.
Eligible candidates are offered fellowships also at IIT Gandhinagar for Ph.D. admissions. The students who are enrolled in the regular program and the ones who have experience as well are offered monthly stipends between INR 31,000 to INR 35,000.
IIT Gandhinagar Ph.D Admission Highlights 2020
|Institute name||Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar|
|Course Name||Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D)|
|Course Type||Full Time/Continuing|
|Minimum Eligibility||Post graduate + Qualified national level exam|
|Selection Criteria||Merit + entrance + GD/PI|
| M.Phil/Ph.D in Science,|
M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Medicine
|Admission Link |
The following tabulation gives the important dates for Ph.D admission
|Application submission deadline (Phase 2)||May 10, 2020|
|Announcement of Shortlisted candidates for interview||May 24, 2020|
|Interview (Phase 2)||TBA|
IIT Gandhinagar Ph.D. Course Details
There are two admission categories for Ph.D at IIT Gandhinagar:
- Admission Category I: Full time regular admission for those candidates who pursue residential research (RR).
- Admission Category II: This is for those candidates where there are faculty members who are teaching in an institution. They are offered admission to a 90 day advance residency program. (CDP)
Ph.D is offered at IIT Gandhinagar in the following disciplines:
|Biomedical Engineering||Chemistry||Cognitive Science||Electrical Engineering|
|Chemical Engineering||Civil Engineering||Computer Science & Engineering||Earth Science|
|Mathematics||Mechanical Engineering||Material Science & Engineering||Physics|
- Candidates should have completed post graduation in the relevant subject from any recognized University or Institute
- Candidates should have secured 60 % marks in aggregate or 6.5 CGPA marks in the previous qualifying examination to be eligible to apply for Ph.D admission.
- For SC/ST/PD category candidates, a relaxation of 5 % is applicable and they must secure 55 % marks or 5.5 CGPA in master’s examination.
Check IIT Gandhinagar Courses & Fees
A list of selected candidates based on the academic merit of the candidates in the previous qualifying examination and published on the official website of IIT Gandhinagar.
The selected candidates should visit the Institute on the mentioned date to attend the written test and/ personal Interview.
Final selection is based on the performance of the candidates in the written test and/ interview.
- The written test is generally based on the topics related to:
- General Aptitude which includes logical reasoning, analytical and numerical ability
- Writing Skills
- Basic courses of various disciplines studied at the undergraduate level.
- Candidates who do not qualify in the written test need not appear for the personal interview.
- Students who qualify for either GATE or UGC-NET or JRF or SLET or even CSIR are exempted from appearing for the internal examination. They will be notified to appear directly for the interview if they meet the other criteria (like academic performance, scores in the national level exams, etc).
Read more about IIT Gandhinagar Admission here.
IIT Gandhinagar Phases of Ph.D. Admission
IIT Gandhinagar Ph.D. Admission is done in two phases:
- Applications received before February will be considered along Phase 1.
- All the applications received after February will be considered for Phase 2.
- Applications sent after the last date of submission will be rejected.
IIT Gandhinagar Ph.D. Fee Structure
The following tabulation gives the semester fees for Ph.D program
|Tuition fee||INR 5000|
|Academic facilities services||INR 2000|
|Annual Fee||INR 23,500|
|Application Fee for General Category||INR 200 |
|Application Fee for SC/ST||INR 100|
IIT Gandhinagar Ph.D. Application Procedure
Interested candidates should check for eligibility criteria and apply from the official website of the college.
- Visit the official website of IIT Gandhinagar PhD – www.iitgn.ac.in/admissions/phd and apply from “National PG or International PG”
- Candidates should register themselves with their email ID and mobile number and login in the portal with their credentials
- Click on the application form and fill in the required details and upload the required documents.
- Make payment and submit the application form
- Application number and a link to download application form will be generated after submitting the application form
- Candidates should download and print out the hard copy of the application form and should carry it at the time of personal interview.
Candidates need to upload the following documents with the application form.
- Class X and XII mark sheets
- Scanned copies of photograph and signature
- Scanned copy of birth certificate
- Scanned copy of passing certificate and qualifying mark sheets
- Category certificate (if required)
Candidates need to carry the attested copy of the above documents at the time of interview.
How to check for IIT Gandhinagar Ph.D. Phase 1 Results?
Students who qualify for the internal exam conducted by the institute, are shortlisted to appear for the interview. Candidates can check their exam results by:
- Logging on to the official website.
- Click on Phase 1 Results hyperlink
- A form would appear where the candidate must fill in his application number and DOB.
- On submitting the details the result would appear.
IIT Gandhinagar Ph.D. Fellowships
Students joining the Ph.D. program in the regular mode (RR) will be considered for Institute Fellowship based on the following norms:
- An amount of INR 31,000 per month. Is offered to those applicant who hold:
- PG Degree in basic Science and are NET/GATE qualified or
- Graduate Degree in Professional Courses like B.Tech/B.E. and qualified NET/GATE exam or
- PG Degree in Professional Courses like M.Tech/M.E. and qualified GATE.
- Qualifications mentioned above with at least two years of Research Experience are offered INR 35,000 per month.
Ques. What is the Selection process of Ph.D Admission?
Ans. The selection process consists of a written test. Candidates qualifying the written test should undergo a personal interview. The candidates should report to the institute by 8.15 AM and the written test will begin by 9.00 AM. The list of candidates shortlisted for interview will be announced on the same day. Candidates who do not qualify the written test need not appear for the interview.
Ques. What is the syllabus for the written test?
Ans. The written test is generally based on the topics related to general aptitude (which includes logical reasoning, analytical and numerical ability), writing skills and basic courses of various disciplines at undergraduate level. The reserved category candidates will be given relaxation in cut off marks as per institute rules and regulations.
Ques. Have the new dates for Phase 2 admission for interviews been announced?
Ans. No, the dates are yet to be announced for both the written test results and shortlisted candidates for interview are yet to be announced. The admission process was postponed from April 21, 2020 due to the country-wide lockdown for COVID-19 pandemic.
Ques. Is the application form needed at the time of the written test?
Ans. Yes, candidates need to bring the hard copy of the application form at the time of the written test. If the candidates face any issue while downloading or accessing application form, they should drop a mail and request for the application form to email@example.com. Candidates should mention their application number in the mail and the email should be sent from the email ID mentioned in the application form. The application form will be sent to the mail within 5 business days.
Ques. Are fellowships offered to continuing Ph.D students also?
Ans. No, students who are enrolled in the regular program and the ones who have a certain level of work experience are offered fellowships or stipends.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College