IISER, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research was established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) as an autonomous institute for higher education to promote good research as well as education in basic science. The university is more than 10 years old and is very well recognised in scientific teaching, publications and research.
IISER Kolkata offers a varied research program of Ph.D. As of now it has five academic departments. The institute is located in the well-connected city of Kolkata which is a metropolitan city.
- Students can apply for PhD programmes if they have completed their Masters degree
- Applications can be submitted through the online application portal.
- The PhD selection interviews are held twice a year.
- The candidates have to clear JAM (Joint Admission Test) in their respective fields for being eligible to apply for PhD programmes.
The campus is vibrant with a really good faculty which is a very reputed one.
IISER Kolkata PhD Admissions Highlights 2020
|Type ||Full time|
|Duration||5-6 years |
|Selection Criteria||Application and interview|
|Course fee/ year||INR 77,950|
| M.Phil/Ph.D in Science,|
M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts
|Admission Link |
IISER Kolkata PhD Admission Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for PhD programme is as follows:
- The candidates having master's degree such as M.Sc/MS/ME/M.Tech/MVSc/MSc(Ag) degree or equivalent from any recognized college are eligible to apply.
- They should have scored a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination.
Check IISER Kolkata Courses & Fees
IISER Kolkata PhD Selection Procedure
- List of shortlisted candidates (based on merit, subject specialization and required research area) for interview will be published in the IISER-Kolkata website.
- The Institute will not provide any TA/DA or accommodation for attending the interview.
- The selected candidates will receive the offer letter containing also the last date
Also check IISER Kolkata Admission
IISER Kolkata Ph.D Entrance exams
The applicants who have qualified in the following nationwide aptitude tests in the year 2020 only can apply for the PhD programmes :
- For Biological Sciences: JAM (Biology and Biotechnology) / JGEEBILS
- For Chemical Sciences: JAM (Chemistry)
- For Earth Sciences: (a) JAM (Geology) OR (b) JAM Chemistry for research in
- Environmental Science OR (c) JAM Physics for research in Computational Mineralogy
- For Mathematical Sciences: JAM (Mathematics)
- For Physical Sciences: JAM (Physics)/JEST (Physics)
How to Apply for Ph.D at IISER Kolkata?
The application form can be submitted online through the Institute’s official website. Candidates can apply by following the given steps:
- Fill the application form online properly and carefully by submitting all the information required.
- Upload the required valid documents.
- Pay the application fee through an online payment option available.
- Submit the application form.
Application Fee: The candidates have to pay an application fee of INR 2000 for General and OBC category and INR 1000 for SC/ ST/ PH categories through Net banking/ credit/ debit card.
The documents required are:
- Attested copies of mark sheets and certificates of all examinations starting from secondary examination.
- Original/Self Attested copy of the qualifying examination certificate.
- Proof of qualification in nationwide aptitude tests.
- Photo identity.
- Proof of age.
- Statement of Purpose mentioning research interest and potential supervisors (if any).
IISER Kolkata Ph.D Reservation Criteria
Reservations for candidates will be as per the norms of Government of India
Eligible applicants of the PhD programme are encouraged to apply for the attractive Prime Minister's Research Fellowship (https://pmrf.in/) in addition to applying to IISER Kolkata regular admission.
Ques. How are the remaining Interviews being conducted?
Ans. The institute may be compelled to further postpone the interviews and/or may consider conducting interviews online using Skype/Zoom. Any changes will be informed to the applicants beforehand.
Ques. Can the students who have completed their Masters apply for PhD if they have no fellowship?
Ans. No, the college does not accept applications without having external fellowships. They must have their own PhD fellowships like UGC/ CSIR-NET, JRF or any other equivalent fellowships like DBT-JRF, ICMR-JR and INSPIRE.
Ques. What all facilities are offered by the college?
Ans. The university has all the basic facilities such as IT infrastructure, labs, hostels, guest houses, a well maintained library, high speed Wifi, Virtual Classrooms, Mind and body care centres, cafeteria, etc.
Ques. Is the candidate allowed to stay in the hostels during the interview?
Ans. No, the university does not offer accommodation to the candidate during his/her interview. They have to arrange their accommodation on their own. However, the interview does not last long. So, they can plan their travel accordingly.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College