The Gujarat Technical University was established in 2007 to the Ph.D. course. The institute offers a Ph.D. program in 21 specializations of Engineering under 4 groups. Admission in the Ph.D. program is based on the results of the entrance exam conducted by GTU. The eligibility for the Ph.D. course is Masters in relevant stream.
The duration of the course is a minimum of 3 years for a full-time course and 4 years for a part-time course whereas the maximum time period to complete the course is 6 years. The course has been divided into groups combining various specializations as follows:
|Combination of Branches||Group|
|Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science, Instrumentation and Control Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Power Electronics, Power Electronics & Electrical Drives, Electronic and Communication Engineering & Electrical Engineering||G-1|
|Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management, Infrastructure Engineering||G-2|
|Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Metallurgy Engineering, Armament Engineering, Energy Engineering, Textile Engineering||G-3|
|Chemical Engineering, Rubber Engineering , Plastic Engineering||G-4|
GTU Ph.D Admission Highlights 2020
|Name of the University||GTU|
|Type||Full time/ Part-time|
|Basic Eligibility Criteria||Post-graduation with minimum 55% marks|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Entrance based|
| M.Phil/Ph.D in Management,|
M.Phil/Ph.D in Pharmacy,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Medicine,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Science,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts
|Admission Link |
GTU Ph.D Eligibility Criteria
Full-Time Research Scholars
- Candidates seeking admission to the Ph.D. program of GTU shall have a Master's degree or a professional degree declared equivalent to the Master’s degree with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade.
- Candidates possessing Postgraduate Diploma in Management with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade have to submit an institutional certificate obtained from Association of Indian Universities that their Two Year Full-Time Postgraduate Diploma in Management has been equated with MBA Degree for the purpose of admission to a higher degree.
- CA, CMA, and CS qualified candidates with at least 55% marks and who are registered with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India or the Institute of Cost Accountants of India or the Institute of Company Secretaries of India are also eligible to apply.
- Master's Degree or a professional degree declared equivalent to the Master's Degree with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from (55% to 50%), or an equivalent relaxation of grade, is allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/SEBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled or for those who had obtained their Master's degree prior to 19th September 1991.
Part-Time Research Scholars
- a) Full-Time teachers of University Departments/University/Colleges affiliated to the University or any working employee of institution of higher learning in Gujarat.
- Full-Time persons working in Gujarat at R&D Departments/National Laboratories/Units of Government/Quasi Government or any other research laboratories or are sponsored by the respective employer (having not less than 2 years of relevant experience) are eligible to apply under Part-Time Ph.D. Programme.
- Candidates shall submit a ‘No Objection Certificate’ on the letterhead duly signed by the appropriate authority of the employer organization clearly stating the following-
- The applicant shall also submit endorsed documents that the laboratory/experimental facility is available at their proposed place of work or if they plan to do an experiment in any other University/institute etc. then the candidate must produce a “No Objection Certificate” (NOC) from the respective HOD/Director of the University/Institute etc.
Full-Time Sponsored Research Scholars
Regular teachers of University Departments/University/Colleges affiliated to the University or any working employee of an institution of higher learning, full-time employees working in Gujarat at R&D Departments/National Laboratories/Units of Government/Quasi-Government or any other research laboratories or are sponsored by the respective employer.
Such candidates should not have less than 2 years of relevant experience are eligible to apply under Full-Time Ph.D. Programme provided they fulfill the eligibility norms and are fully relieved for the period of study.
Such candidates shall submit an additional ‘Certificate’ on the letterhead duly signed by the appropriate authority of the employer organization clearly stating the following-
For the period of his/her studies in the Programme, the candidate would be treated as on duty with usual salary and allowances, and
That he/she will be fully relieved and granted study leave for a minimum period of 3 years at the time of admission.
Check GTU Courses & Fees
GTU Ph.D Entrance Test
The Entrance Test of applicants shall be conducted by the University. It shall consist of MCQs, wherein 50 marks of Research Methodology (Paper-I) of one hour will be followed by 50 marks of Subject-Specific (Paper-II) of one hour for each discipline having one mark each with no negative marking.
Entrance Test shall be qualifying with qualifying marks of 50%. Qualifying marks for SC/ST/SEBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled candidates will be 45%.
Results of the Entrance Test and Research proposal presentation shall be valid for one year only.
GTU Ph.D Entrance Test:
The syllabus of Paper-I will be based on Research Methodology
The syllabus of Paper-II will be Subject Specific as mentioned below:
(i) All Engineering branches: GATE syllabus [except quantitative/general aptitude and engineering mathematics]
(ii) Pharmacy: GPAT syllabus
(iii) Management and Computer Science: GSLET/CAT/MAT syllabus
(iv) Environment Engineering
Exemption from Entrance Test:
Candidates with one or more of the following qualifications are exempted from appearing in Entrance Test:
- Qualified UGC-NET(including JRF)
- Qualified UGC-CSIR NET(including JRF)
- Qualified SLET
- Qualified GATE
- Qualified GPAT
- Foreign Scholars who apply through Ministries of Government of India or Foreign Scholars under a Cultural Exchange Scholarship Programme of Government of India.
- Teacher fellowship holder
- Passed M.Phil. program
- Teachers affiliated to the University departments or affiliated colleges having not less than 15 years of Full-Time teaching experience subject to submit 3 letters of recommendation from eminent academic experts (not below the rank of a Professor) in the proposed research field.
GTU Ph.D Selection Criteria
- Selection for admission to Ph.D. Programme will be as per subject to availability of vacant seats in order of merit and consent of one of the Supervisors who has declared seats for taking the students in the particular academic year.
- Scoring greater than sixty percent marks (>60%) - for candidates belonging to Open Category during Research Proposal Presentation.
- Scoring greater than fifty five percent marks (>55%) - for candidates belonging to SC/ST/SEBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled Categories during Research Proposal Presentation.
Check GTU Admission
How to Apply for GTU Ph.D?
Online Applications for admission to Ph.D. Programme will be invited once in a year through advertisement including University’s website. Candidates desirous of admission into the Ph.D. Programme shall submit the online application form available on the website.
- Aspirants are required to apply informally and send the academic vitae to the University earlier.
- The online application form can be filled from University’s website www.gtu.ac.in after ensuring eligibility and other requisite criteria.
- Deposit the requisite application fee of Rs. 1200/- for Open Category and Rs. 1000/- for SC/ST/SEBC/Differently-Abled Category through SBI online payment.
- After successfully submitting the application online, candidate will be assigned system generated Application Number.
- Take a print out of the Application Form (Duly signed) and shall attach self-attested requisite certificates and a copy of Bank Challan receipt, etc. and must be produced at the time of Admission.
Documents Required at the time of Admission
- Date of Birth
- Caste Certificate No. & Date of issuance (if applicable)
- Non-Creamy layer Certificate No. & Date of issuance (if applicable)
- Physical Disability Certificate No. & Date of issuance (if applicable)
- Marks obtained in various examinations from class X onwards
- Experience in years & months (if applicable)
- Reference no. on SBI challan generated through Online payment
- Scanned copy of the passport size photograph and signature less than 100 KB, etc.
Following are the List of requisite enclosures (self- attested documents to be submitted along with the application form)
- School Leaving Certificate
- Graduation Certificate
- Post Graduation Certificate
- CA/CMA/CS Certificate (if Applicable)
- Caste Certificate (if Applicable)
- Valid Non-Creamy Layer Certificate for SEBC (If Applicable)
- Certificate of Physical Disability (If Applicable)
- No Objection Certificate on the letterhead of the current employer organization stating mentioned conditions (in Original)
- A Certificate on the letterhead of the current employer organization stating availability of study leave and other conditions, etc. (Applicable to Full-Time Sponsored Research Scholars)
- Equivalence Certificate from Association of Indian Universities
- UGC-NET/UGC-CSIR NET/JRF/SLET/GATE/GPAT Certificate (If Applicable)
- M.Phil Certificate and Marksheet
- Teacher fellowship holder Certificate etc.
- Bank Challan receipt (hard) copy of Fee payment
- Proof of Local Residential Address
- Migration Certificate (in Original)
- Three Recommendation Letters from eminent persons not below the rank of a Professor in the proposed research field (required for GTU Faculty having not less than 15 years of Full-Time teaching experience).
GTU Ph.D Reservation
For the purpose of admission, the seats shall be reserved for the candidates who are of Gujarat origin and falling under the following categories and in following proportion, namely:
- 7% for SC
- 15% for ST
- 27% for Socially & Economically Backward Class - SEBC (Non-creamy layer)
A candidate seeking admission on reserved seat shall be required to produce a Certificate of Caste; provided that the candidate belonging to socially and educationally backward classes shall be required to produce a certificate to the effect of non-inclusion in Creamy Layer in addition to the caste certificate.
Three percent (3%) of the available seats in each category shall be reserved, in accordance with the provisions of the Persons With Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation).
A candidate with a disability shall have to submit a certificate of disability issued and duly signed by the competent medical authority.
- Vacant seats of ST category shall be transferred to SC category and vice-versa whenever necessary to fill-up the number of vacant seats.
- In case, no eligible reserved candidates are available, the vacant seats in the reserved category shall not be filled by any non-SC/ST candidates.
Ques. How many subjects are offered in Ph.D. program?
Ans. The University offers many subjects to study under Ph.D. including Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science, etc.
Ques. Is there any reservation in GTU for students?
Ans. Yes, GTU provides reservation in seats for physically handicapped candidates as well as needy and backward class students.
Ques. What is the mode of payment for application fee?
Ans. Mode of payment of fee is through online SBI portal. Fee submitted through any other mode will not be accepted. Fee once paid will neither be adjusted for any subsequent examination nor refunded under any circumstances.
Ques. How much is the fees of the course?
Ans. Rs. 22,350/- is the total fees for open category candidates and Rs. 20,350 is the fees for reserved category students.
Ques. What is the enrolment criterion in the Ph.D. course?
Ans. Candidates whose selection is recommended by the Interview Committee and approved by the competent authorities subject to availability of vacant seats in order of merit will be offered admission and will have to deposit prescribed fee along with enrolment form.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College