Quick Update 2020
March 31: The application process for IIT Guwahati M.Tech Admissions was closed on April 30, 2020.
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG) offers postgraduate level program M.Tech in 9 departments. Candidates holding a bachelor's degree or masters degree in the relevant discipline can apply for the programme.
- Admission is based on GATE scores.
- IIT B.Tech holders and non GATE qualified candidates will have to attempt a written test/ interview.
- The course is available on full time as well as part time basis.
- The application form is available on the official website of IIT Guwahati.
- The course fee for M.Tech programme at IIT Guwahati is INR 50750.
The specializations are offered in the following departments :
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Rural Technology
- Data Science
- Food Science and Technology
IIT Guwahati M.Tech Admissions Highlights 2020
|Type||Full Time / Part Time|
|Application mode||Online / Offline|
|Course Fee||INR 50750|
IIT Guwahati M.Tech Important Dates
|Application forms||Mar 2 - Apr 30, 2020|
|GATE Registrations||Sept 3 - Oct 5, 2019|
|GATE Examination||Feb 1, Feb 2, Feb 8, Feb 9, 2020|
IIT Guwahati M.Tech Eligibility Criteria
- Minimum CPI of 6.0 in a 10-point scale or a minimum of 60% of total / aggregate marks in Qualifying Degree.
- Candidates still to appear in their qualifying degree examinations may also apply, provided they appear in all their qualifying degree examinations and complete all requirements for their degrees before July 15.
- For the academic programmes M.Tech. in Data Science and M.Tech. in Food Science and Technology, the candidates can apply only under the studentship category of Regular with GATE or Regular and IIT BTech without GATE.
- MTech in Food Science and Technology is a joint degree program of IIT Guwahati and Gifu University Japan.
Check IIT Guwahati Courses & Fees
IIT Guwahati M.Tech Selection Process
- The final admission to regular candidates with GATE is based on
- Either 100% weightage to the performance in GATE and with / without counselling.
- Or 70% weightage to the performance in GATE and 30% weightage to other components like performance in written test and / or interview conducted by the concerned academic department / center, academic credential of the candidates, etc.
- While preparing the rank list for (regular category) admission into MTech Programme, if two or more candidates scored the same GATE Score or same final Composite score for admission, the following rules shall be followed :
- Aggregate/ Total Percentage of Marks obtained in Class 12
- Aggregate/ Total Percentage of Marks obtained in Class 10
- Date of Birth, the candidate senior / older in age to be ranked higher.
- If there is a tie even after this, such candidates will be assigned the same rank.
- The final admission to other candidates is based on the performance in the written test and/ or interview conducted by the concerned academic department/ center, academic credentials of the candidates, etc.
IIT Guwahati M.Tech GATE Cut Off 2020
The following are cut offs of GATE 2019 and the cut offs this year would be around the same numbers.
Check IIT Guwahati Admission
|Computer Science and Engineering||Computer Science and Engineering||763||722||696||541||_|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Signal Processing and Machine Learning||749||730||665||548||430|
|RF and Photonics||542||_||549||_||_|
|Systems Control and Automation||749||757||700||552||435|
|Mechanical Engineering||Machine Design||771||680||710||470||403|
|Manufacturing Science and Engineering||579||508||509||575||319|
|Fluids and Thermal Engineering||706||681||596||329||491|
|Aerodynamics and Propulsion||653||_||451||544||_|
|Civil Engineering||Structural Engineering||738||644||704||509||470|
|Water Resources Engineering and Management||364||_||360||_||254|
|Transportation Systems Engineering||593||541||533||419||474|
|Infrastructure Engineering and Management||652||_||635||267||467|
|Earth System Science and Engineering||478||_||304||_||_|
IIT Guwahati M.Tech Entrance Exam
The candidates will have to take the GATE entrance exam to any of the M.Tech courses at IIT Guwahati. It is an online examination which includes MCQ’s as well as numerical based questions. The exam will be conducted for 25 streams each having syllabus of its own subject with general aptitude being common in all.
- The maximum marks allotted are 100 and the exam lasts for 180 minutes.
- 1/3 for 1 mark MCQ and 2/3 for 2 mark MCQ are deducted for wrong answers.
GATE exam is conducted at various cities across the country as well as abroad. The six exam centers that are located outside India are in Dubai, Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, Singapore, and Kathmandu.
How to Apply for IIT Guwahati M.Tech?
Eligible candidates can apply through Offline/ online application procedure on or before the due date.
- Visit the official website and register to the department/ center and fill out the required details and upload the necessary documents.
- At the end of online application process, candidate needs to make payment of application fee online in case of offline/ paper form, the application fee is to be submitted in the form of demand draft in favour of the Registrar, IIT Guwahati payable at Guwahati along with the application form.
- The application form is available online, candidates should download the application form and then fill and submit it by post or in person to IITG to whomsoever the offline is applicable.
- Application fee for female/ transgender/ SC/ ST/ PwD candidates is INR 150 and for other candidates is INR 300.
M.Tech course is available full time and part time.
How to apply for GATE?
The application process for GATE exam is as follows:
- Registration on the official website of GATE.
- Fill the application form with personal, academic, qualification details, you will have to choose the preferred exam centre.
- The process of uploading documents like photographs, signature, eligibility certificate and SC / ST certificate (if there) must be done.
- Fee payment of INR 1500 or INR 2000 (based on various criteria) must be done.
- Submission of application form.
IIT Guwahati M.Tech Reservation
- The minimum marks requirement is relaxed by lowering 0.5 in CPI or 5% in marks for SC / ST / PwD candidates
- Seats are reserved for Indian Nationals under the categories Scheduled Caste (SC) / Scheduled Tribe (ST) / Other Backward Classes (OBC) Non-Creamy Layer / Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and Persons with Disability (PwD) according to the Government of India rules.
- The candidates having less than 40% of disability are not entitled for claiming reservation under PwD category.
- Persons who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SC / ST / OBC and whose family has gross annual income below Rupees Eight Lakh are to be identified as EWSs for the benefit of reservation.
- The candidates under non-regular category can occupy a maximum of 10% seats. The Institute has all rights to modify the above given seat matrix before the commencement of seat allocation process.
Ques. Are students provided with any financial assistance?
Ans. Regular students are entitled to receive Financial Assistantship / Scholarship from IIT Guwahati at the rate of INR 12400 per month (tenable for a maximum period of 24 months) as per the governing rules subject to satisfactory academic progress and satisfactory performance in assigned teaching assistant duty.
Ques. What are the career options after M.Tech?
Ans. After M.Tech has been completed, career opportunities can be going for a degree in science, including PhD, doing a job right after finishing M.Tech in research and development organizations, manufacturing firms and IT companies as Project Manager, Research Associate and Senior Engineers. Joining university of engineering as instructor.
Ques. How many GATE papers can a candidate apply for?
Ans. Candidates can appear for the GATE paper unlimited number of times. However the validity of scores is till 5 years only.
Ques. Does IIT Guwahati conduct interviews for M.TEch Admissions?
Ans. IIT Guwahati provides admission on the basis of GATE scores. However, for non-GATE candidates, the authorities conduct a written exam and interview to zero down on the best candidate.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College