April 24: New application procedure for all the courses is updated.Click Here
Visvesvaraya Technological University offers Ph.D program in 9 specializations at Docotal Level. The selection criteria include the student’s overall performance in bachelor’s and master’s programs. There are total nine specializations that are offered by VTU for the Ph.D. course under its curriculum.
- Students looking forward to admission in Ph.D. course at VTU must have scored a minimum of 50% aggregate in their post-graduation or a 6.5 CGPA, as this is the basic eligibility criteria.
- The final selection of student in the research program is based on the entrance test conducted by the university and the interview session.
- Application for Ph.D. is an online process which requires that student to submit the application form along with the required documents through the guide.
- It is mandatory for all applicants to go through the entrance exam and the interview round for final selection.
Ph.D Program at Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) is offered in the following specializations:
|Physical Education||Electrical engineering||Computer Science|
VTU Ph.D. Admission Highlights 2020
|Name of the course||Ph.D|
|Duration of course||2 years|
|Type of Course||Full time/ Part-Time|
|Mode of application||Online and Offline|
|Admission Criteria||Work experience and previous performance|
|Eligibility||Post-Graduation with 6.5 CGPA|
| M.Phil/Ph.D in Architecture,|
M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Science,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Management,
M.Phil/Ph.D in Education
|Admission Link |
VTU Ph.D. Important Dates
|VTU Ph.D. Eligibility Test Application||Jan 18, 2020|
|Last date for filling in Application form||March 06, 2020|
|Hall ticket Availability for Eligibility test||March 11, 2020|
|VTU Ph.D. Eligibility Test date||March 22, 2020|
VTU Ph.D. Eligibility Criteria
- The university admission committee considers only those students eligible for PhD who have a master’s degree in technology or engineering from a recognized university in the country.
- The basic eligibility of the applicant will be based on the scores obtained by him/her in post-graduation and the university expects a minimum of 60% aggregate here. Equivalent to this in CGPA system, a 6.5 is required from all students.
- Applicants should also have a bachelors degree in technology or engineering with their scores being minimum 70% or a 7.5 CGPA out of 10.
- Candidates should have obtained patents or published research papers in order to be eligible for the Ph.D. program at VTU.
- All applying students for the Ph.D. program must give the entrance exam conducted by VTU to determine the candidate’s eligibility. The final selection will be based on whether the student has given the eligibility test or not.
- Full time Ph.D. students must have a guide from any of the 130 research centres that VTU has to be eligible for filling in the application form. The required documents for application have to be submitted through the guide only.
- Part time Ph.D. students have to present their employment certificate so they can be eligible for the part time program that the University offers.
Check VTU Courses & Fees
VTU Ph.D. Selection Criteria
- A student will only be considered for PhD if he had maintained good grades in his/her graduate and post graduate study. Minimum required aggregates have to be fulfilled by the student in order to be selected.
- Minimum marks have to scored by the applicants in the VTU eligibility test that is conducted for selection of candidates. It is a qualifying exam which further sends students to the interview session when final selection is done.
- A merit list is issued by VTU for candidates who have cleared the eligibility test stage and then the selected students move onto the interview stage. This is where the admission panel has a counselling session with the applicant.
- Selected candidates are then allotted the research centre and guide they had selected previously and their documents are sent for final verification. All these candidates are given provisional admission once the fee is paid.
- Selected students have to now submit a synopsis of their research title through their guide and the assigned research centre. Upon evaluation, the candidate is given a permanent seat in the program.
Read more: VTU Admission
VTU Ph.D. Admission Cut Off
Selection of students in the program offered by VTU under its Ph.D. curriculum is based on aggregate obtained by the student in his/her port-graduation. The final merit list though is based on the entrance test conducted by the university wherein the students must score minimum 50% out of the 100 marks allotted for the exam.
VTU Ph.D. Eligibility Test for Research
All Ph.D. applicants trying for VTU in the current year have to give the Eligibility test for research conducted by the University in order to qualify.
- The test is a 100 marks paper with two 50 marks sections and the applicant must score a minimum of 50% to be eligible for the next stage of admission.
- The Ph.D. entrance exam is divided into two parts, one is research methodology with 50 questions of 50 marks, whereas second is a programme based syllabus section with 50 questions again of total 50 marks.
- The exam paper for the eligibility test is based on the program that the candidate has applied for.
- Hall Ticket for the exam is available 10-15 days prior and the test centre will be notified to each student in advance.
How to Apply for VTU Ph.D?
- Applicant first has to find a guide of the stream from the research centre of VTU. The research centres that are affiliated to VTU have been listed on the official website for students to check.
- Once the guide is finalised, he/she will upload the application form with required documents on the official VTU website.
- The application fee of 700/- has to be paid next by the candidate and the online payment receipt should also be printed for submission.
- Hard copy of the application form along with the online fee payment proof has to be forwarded to the university with a NOC from student’s institution and his/her signature.
- As soon as the application form reaches the university, the student will be notified about the further application procedure and registration details.
- Certificate of graduation
- Certificate of post-graduation
- Valid competitive exam marks certificate
- Recognition certificates for research projects
- Caste certificate, if applicable
- Migration certificate, if from outside the state
- Latest passport size photographs
- Payment receipt of application fee
- Aadhaar card
- Income certificates, if applicable
Ques. Is Sports quota available for admissions into PhD courses?
Ans. The students do not have the option of sports quota for admissions into PhD courses. It is completely on the basis of the merit performance and entrance test results. To gather more information regarding admissions into PhD you can visit official website of Visvesvaraya Technological University.
Ques. Can I apply for more than one course under PhD?
Ans. No, the university does not have the option of choosing more than 1 subject under PhD. The students who apply for more than 1 subject will be prohibited to apply to the university for 3 years and strict actions will be taken against him/her.
Ques. When do the classes commence for the PhD courses?
Ans. Usually, the classes for the campus students begin around the third week of June for all the students who are successfully admitted to the college. Whereas the PhD classes start a little late around beginning of August. Before this, the entire admission process is completed along with document verification.
Ques. Can I change my full time course to a part time course?
Ans. Yes, it is possible to change from a full time to a part time course by writing a letter stating the reason for change to the VTU registrar and obtaining a no objection certificate from the guide. The entire process takes around one to three weeks for completion.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College