The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) offers Ph.D. and I.Ph.D. in numerous fields dedicated to Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Technology and Computer Science.
In addition to the Integrated Ph.D. and Ph.D. in various disciplines, the university offers a Ph.D. in Science Education program to its students every year. The candidate is shortlisted for admission to the above-mentioned course on the basis of their performance in the entrance examination conducted by the university.
Check TIFR Admission 2020
One can register either through online mode. Before registering, the candidate must have the following documents at hand:
- Passport-sized photograph
- Demand Draft or Debit/Credit Card
- Academic Details
Candidate can register themselves to the above-mentioned course by submitting the examination fee INR. 900/- (for male candidates) and INR. 300/- (for female candidates) through online payment modes.
The university offers research programs in various departments of the following faculties:
|School of Mathematics|| School of Computer Science and Technology||School of Natural Sciences|
Ph.D. in Mathematics:
- The eligibility criterion for admission to the Ph.D. program is a Master's degree in any of Mathematics, Statistics, Science or Technology (M.A. / M.Sc. / M.Math. / M.Stat. / M.E./ M.Tech.)
- The eligibility criterion for admission to the Integrated Ph.D. program is a Bachelor's degree in any of Mathematics, Statistics, Science or Technology (B.A. / B.Sc. / B.Math. / B.Stat. / B.E. / B.Tech.).
- Students with a four-year Bachelor's degree may be considered for admission to the Ph.D. program.
Ph.D. in Physics:
- M.Sc./M.S. in Physics, or equivalent, on completion of programs (s) of duration not less than 5 years in total
- For I.Ph.D. in Physics, the candidates must have a degree in M.E/M.Tech./B.Sc./B.S./B.E./ B.Tech./B.Chem. of duration not less than 3 years in total.
Ph.D. in Chemistry:
- M.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.Pharm. or equivalent degree.
- For I.Ph.D. in Chemistry, the applicant must have B.Sc./B.Pharm./B.S. degree or equivalent degree.
Ph.D. in Biology:
- Masters in Basic Science (M.Sc. Physics/Chemistry/Any branch of Biology) or any professional Master's Degree (M.Pharma./M.Tech.), or a > 4-year degree program (e.g. MBBS, BDS).
- For I.Ph.D. one must have a Bachelor's degree in any Physics/Chemistry/Any branch of Biology OR any 4-year degree program that awards a "Bachelor's degree" including B.Tech., B.E., B.V.Sc., B.Pharma. (4-year course).
Candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on written test marks, CV and Scientific Write-up.
Ph.D. in Computer and System Sciences (Communication and Applied Probability)
- B.Tech./B.E./M.Tech./M.E./M.C.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Computer Science/Electronics & Communications Engineering/Electrical Engineering or related branches.
- Exceptionally qualified students with B.Tech./ B.E./M.Tech./M.E./M.Sc. degrees in other disciplines may also be considered.
- Exceptionally well-qualified students with a three-year degree in related subjects may be considered for I-Ph.D.
Candidates in the final year of qualifying degree can also apply.
How To Apply
Pre-requisites for filling-up the application form:
- Recent Passport size photograph
- Credit/Debit Card details for online payment of application fee
- Academic details
|Male Candidates||INR. 900/-|
|Female Candidates||INR. 300/-|
Online Application Process:
For online submission of the application, candidates are required to follow the following steps:
- Candidate should create his/her profile by entering the requisite details for registration purposes.
- A notification containing the activation code will be sent to the candidate via SMS or email.
- Upon clicking the link, the candidate’s account will be activated and he/she can log in using the registered Email-id and password
- Next, the candidate should upload his/her recent passport size photograph, educational as well as professional qualifications.
- Proceed to pay the required fees through online payment modes.
Hall tickets will be issued or will be allowed to be generated from the student login account.
Candidates with a valid GATE score are exempted from the TIFR exam. They need not pay any application fees.
- There will be an Entrance Examination for admission to the program.
- The eligible candidates will have to first appear for a written screening test.
- Candidates who pass the screening test will be called to appear for an interview, which will serve as the main part of the examination.
In exceptional cases, a Special Entrance Examination may be administered at any time of the year to an especially promising candidate at the discretion of the Subject Board.
Provision for Foreign Students: The above provision for a Special Entrance Examination will also apply to especially promising candidates from abroad.
Technology and Computer Science-
- Admissions to Ph.D. programs in Computer Science and Systems Science will be done via a TIFR Entrance Exam followed by an on-campus interview.
- Students with a valid GATE score in EC, EE, MA (exams held during 2016-18) have the option to apply directly to the Systems Science Ph.D. program without taking the TIFR entrance exam.
Admission to Ph.D. programs in Biology/Chemistry/Physics is done through an entrance test conducted by TIFR.
Students with exceptional performance in the GATE examination in Electrical, Electronics and Communications Engineering, Mathematics may apply for the Ph.D. program in Systems Science without appearing for the TIFR Entrance Test.
Shortlisted GATE score based applicants will be invited to attend an interview.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College