MS Biotechnology in Australia: Course Guide for International Students
Masters in Biotechnology in Australia is a 1.5 to 2 year program costing international students a minimum of 40,000 AUD. For an Indian student this is equivalent to Biotechnology as a subject is placed among the top 10 courses in Australia as per the Scientific American Overview.
- An Entry-level Research Scientist of Biotechnology earns around AUD $80,842 according to salary explorer.
- International students can apply for two intake seasons in Australia: February & July.
- Some popular universities in Australia have their agents in various other countries like India, China, etc. International applicants from these countries can apply directly through agents.
Why to study MS in Biotechnology in Australia?
- As per Scientific American Worldview Australia is considered to be among the top 5 countries for Biotechnology surpassing countries like the United Kingdom and Germany.
- The city of Melbourne is preferred over all other cities for Biological Sciences. The University of Melbourne is ranked number 1 in Australia for Biological Sciences.
- Melbourne is also the site for 27 leading biotechnology research institutes that are globally renowned. AusBiotech, a very notable institute is also located in Melbourne.
- The Biotechnology industry is expected to have a turnover of approximately $1 trillion by the year 2025.
- Australia has shifted its focus on biotech based research in related fields like medicine, agriculture and environment. Government has willingly supported the growth of the industry.
- The R&D industry has been reaping benefits and enjoying international investments due the refundable tax offsets implied since July 2011.
- There are funds like the Medical Research Future Fund that offers AUD $20,000 billion and the Biomedical Translation Fund which can bring in AUD $500 million for Biotech companies in Australia.
- Australia has a very high visa acceptance rate being nearly 90-95%. There are relaxations for international students when compared to the UK/US.
- Regarding safety the country is famed for its low crime rate. It is ranked in the top 20 countries on the safety index.
Top Universities for Masters in Biotechnology in Australia
As per the QS World Rankings, 2 Universities in Australia feature in the top 50 of the list for Biological sciences. The University of Melbourne is ranked 36th and The Australian National University is placed at the 50th. Many Biotechnology courses are offered in these universities.
|Universities||Rankings||Courses||Total Program Fees (AUD)|
|The University of Melbourne||#36||Master of Biotechnology||90725|
|Australian National University||#50||Master of Biotechnology, Master of Biotechnology(Advanced)||91728|
|Monash University||#50-100||Master of Biotechnology||83800|
|University of New South Wales, Sydney||#50-100||Master of Science Biotechnology(Research)||89,856|
|University of Western Australia||#51-100||Master of Biotechnology||80220|
|The University of Adelaide||#101-150||Master of Biotechnology(Biomedical)||81000|
|Deakin University||#251-300||Master of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics||56000|
|Griffith University||#251-300||Master of Biotechnology||66000|
|La Trobe University||#301-350||Master of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, Master of Biotechnology Management||76400|
Masters in Biotechnology in Australia: Admissions
The basic details of intakes and application to Australian universities is described in the image below:
Eligibility for MS Biotechnology
The basic eligibility criteria involved an international student to have studied bachelors in a relevant field and provide scores for tests required to pursue education in Australia. There are various specific score and admission requirements set by the universities. Some of these are detailed below:
|University of Melbourne||Majoring in life sciences or chemistry(65%)||6.5 overall, with each band of minimum 6||79|
|ANU||GPA of 5.0 on 7.0. The applicant must have 2 courses in Chemistry||6.5||80|
|Monash||70%, majoring in subjects of Biomedical Science/Applied Science||6.5 overall||79 overall|
|UNSW||An undergraduate degree with majoring in Biological Sciences||6.5||90|
|University of Western Australia||50% with UG in science stream||6.5||pBT: 570 cBT: 230|
|University of Adelaide||An undergraduate degree in Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field.||6.5||79|
|Griffith University||An undergraduate degree with Honors with a GPA of 4.5 on a 5.0 scale||6.5||pBT: 575 iBT: 79|
|La Trobe University||Majors in Biological Sciences||6.5||-|
Deakin University: Applicant must have the same course in bachelors if the course varies applicant must have a three-year work experience.
Admission Details for Top ranking MS biotechnology Universities
- University of Melbourne, the first intake is in the month of March and the second one is in the month of July. Apart from basic student visa requirements, there is not much needed for the application.
- University of Queensland, the two-semester system is only applicable. Semesters begin in May and November respectively. The University of Queensland offers the masters program with an extensive research-based course.
- Deakin University, the trimester system is followed. The rule under this system is that the student while studying Trimester 1 may not avail the same campus in Trimester 2 and 3. Trimester 1 begins in March and Trimester 2 in July.
- Monash University, the two-semester system is applicable. The first begins in February and the second in July. The application season begins in early August and ends in late November.
- La Trobe University, the two-semester system is applicable. The first semester begins in March and the second one in July. Here there are two courses on MS in Biotechnology, namely: Master of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics and Master of Biotechnology Management.
A 500 subclass visa covers a maximum of 5 years of study. You can apply for the Australian Student visa here and pay AUD $620 as a basic fee. The document required for applying for your Australian study visa are listed below:
- Offer letter
- Valid visa
- Receipt of application fee
- Genuine Temporary Entrant(GTE) statement
- Academic and co-curricular records
- Proof of English proficiency test scores
- Proof of financial ability
- Health Insurance(Overseas Student Health Cover)
- Statement of Purpose
- Passport-size photographs
Masters in Biotechnology in Australia: Cost of Study
\the cost of studying abroad may burn a huge hole into your pockets, hence you must be familiar with the costs. The same has been detailed in the sections below:
Pre-arrival costs are basically the ones you spend before leaving for the country. These include application fees, exams fees, visa fees and other. Some of these are given below:
|Visa registration fee||415|
|Average application fee||50-100|
Tuition Fees for MS Biotechnology in Australia
The tuition fees for popular universities offering MS Biotechnology in Australia are compared below in the graphical image:
As per the image, it can be clearly concluded that though ANU ranks after the University of Melbourne for its masters in biotechnology it will yet cost you more. For a student looking for a cheaper tuition fee Deakin University is one of the best options to choose from.
Cost of Living in Australia
The cost of living in Australia will be highly affected by your lifestyle choices. Some of these expenses are detailed below:
|Groceries and dining out||80-280/week|
|Gas and electricity||35-140/week|
|Phone and Internet||20-55/week|
|Rent of an apartment of 480 sq ft in a normal area||1,439|
|Rent of an apartment of 900 sq ft in a normal area||2,024|
Currently, the average cost of living for a family of four excluding expensive and luxury items is around AUD $2800-3200 per month. Big cities like Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane are a notch higher on the expensive list compared to others. It is 4-5 times costlier than India.
Apart from on-campuses residences, students can live in Homestay facilities. Australian Homestay Network helps students get an affordable living space. There is also Homestay Australia and Homestay Direct. Listing sites are also popular with students that offer rentals and shared accommodations. Some of these listing sites where students can search accommodations in Australia are Scape, Flatmates, Unilodge and Urbanest.
Masters in Biotechnology in Australia with Scholarships
There are about 1,000 scholarships in Australia available to international students offering up to AUD $15,000 every year. Some of the most prestigious scholarships for Asian students are Endeavour Leadership Program, Australia Awards and Dr Abdul Kalam International Postgraduate Scholarship. Some of the popular university-specific scholarships are listed below:
|Monash International Merit Scholarship||WMA 85. submit a statement of minimum 500 words. To retain the scholarship the student must maintain a distinction mark of 70% in class.||10,00 per year|
|School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences Indian Scholarship-The University of Queensland||Indian citizen. Must have achieved a GPA of 75% undergraduate degree||50% of the tuition fees and 100% SSAF for the minimum duration of the program|
|Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship by University of Technology||The applicant must be an international student.||An amount of AUD $5000 for the first session of UTS.|
|Macquarie University Vice Chancellor’s International scholarship||Must maintain WMA 60%||AUD $10,000 for tuition fee|
|La Trobe Excellence scholarships||Weighted average of 65%||WMA: 65-69.99 will get 15% scholarship on annual fees. WMA: 70-74.99 will get 20% scholarship on annual fees. WMA: 75% and above will get 25% scholarship on the annual fees.|
Masters in Biotechnology in Australia: Scope
Biotechnology transcends many disciplines so there are many employment opportunities in various sectors like patent law, manufacturing, science, policy and business development.
But 69% of Biotechnology resides within the health and biomedical field. Traditional job roles like Clinical Researcher, Biodiscovery Research Scientist or Biotechnologist.
The average weekly payment is nearly AUD $1794 with an average employment size of 9600. A Research Scientist with 1-4 years experience. earns a hefty amount of AUD $80,842 while with 5-9 years experience they can earn AUD $83,427.
A biomedical engineer earns around AUD $80,000 and a pharmacist earns around AUD $101,000. An average person earns a staggering figure of AUD $97,500, with salaries beginning from AUD $12,400 and reaching up to AUD $146,000. Some of the job roles you can apply for post MS biotechnology in Australia are listed below
|Job titles||Salary (AUD)|
Australian Biotechnology has contributed heavily in the growth of the field. A notable case was that of Ian Frazer and Jian Zhou who collectively discovered a cervical cancer vaccine. They conducted their research at the University of Queensland Australia also has the Global Talent Scheme that compensates for the skill shortage in the sector. Australia boasts of a record number of international students in Biotechnology opening up a bright future and a bright pay.
Ques. Why should one opt for Australia to study Biotechnology?
Ans. Biotechnology is considered to be a popular course in Australia. Australia is considered to be among the top 5 countries offering the course.
Ques. Where can one study Biotechnology in Australia?
Ans. A student can opt for MS in Biotechnology in many leading colleges in Australia including the University of Melbourne. There are over 42 biotechnology masters degree programs in Australia.
Ques. What is the average cost of studying Biotechnology in Australia?
Ans. Masters in Biotechnology in Australia can range from 40,000 to 90,000 AUD.
Ques. What is the average salary of a Biotechnology graduate?
Ans. As per salary explorer, the basic salary of a Biotechnology graduate is AUD $96,500. Usually, the salary range of the Biotechnology graduate varies between AUD $12,400-146,000. The salary mostly varies depending upon the work experience of the graduate.
Ques. What is the eligibility for an MS in biotechnology program in Australia?
Ans. For most universities, the admission requirement is a bachelor's degree with majors in biological sciences. The minimum weighted average must be 60% or above. For the Colleges considering GPA, the minimum requirement is 5.0 on a 7.0 scale.
Ques. What are the basic English Language test scores requirements for MS in biotechnology in Australia?
Ans. The minimum IELTS score accepted by most colleges is 6.5 or above and the minimum overall TOEFL score accepted is 79+.