Master of Engineering in Australia: A Detailed Course Guide
Master of engineering in Australia is a professional course of 2 years duration offered by over 45 universities. This program is aimed at training highly qualified engineers who design, evaluate, develop, test, modify, install, and maintain a variety of products and systems. MEng from Australian universities is academically equivalent to Master of Science (MS) degree.
- Students having a bachelor's degree in engineering or science in a related discipline are eligible to apply for this program.
- Various specializations available in Australian universities are civil, mechanical, electronics and communication, electrical, chemical, environmental, software, etc.
- Annual tuition fee of MEng in Australia is between 29,600 AUD to 48,000 AUD.
- An engineering graduate can earn an average salary of 81,500 AUD in Australia.
Why study for a Master of Engineering in Australia?
- According to the Australian National Engineering Taskforce (ANET) figures, the enrollment of international students in engineering programs of Australian universities has increased by 81.8 percent between 2002 to 2010.
- In 2010, about 43% of students enrolled in engineering courses were international citizens.
- About 2.4% of the total vacancies in Australia comprise of engineering jobs in 2019.
- Number of vacancies in engineering sector is expected to increase up to 7.9% by 2020
- Over 4,092 engineering jobs are advertised per month in the year 2019 in Australia.
|Average Program Fees||54,000 AUD – 98,000 AUD|
|Intake Month||February and July|
|Top Specializations Offered||Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Software, Chemical, Environmental, etc|
|Job positions||Technical and Managerial Roles|
|Average Salary||81,500 AUD|
Top Universities for Master of Engineering in Australia
Following are the top universities of Australia offering Master of Engineering program:
|University||QS World Ranking||Specialization||Total Program Fees (in AUD)|
|Australian National University||29||Electrical, Mechatronics, Photonics, Fluids etc||60,222|
|University of Melbourne||38||Environmental, Electrical, Civil, Biomedical etc||141,030|
|University of Sydney||42||Software, Civil, Intelligent Information etc||92,000|
|University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney)||43||Civil, Electrical, Environmental, Mechanical etc||98,000|
|University of Queensland||47||Electrical, Mechanical, Petroleum etc||92,947|
|Monash University||58||Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, etc||96,000|
|University of Western Australia||86||Oil and Gas||60,000|
|University of Adelaide||106||Mechanical, Electronics, Electrical etc||86,000|
|University of Technology Sydney||140||Civil, Structural, Computer, Manufacturing etc||59,280|
|University of Wollongong||212||Computer, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil etc||75,072|
Master of Engineering in Australia: Course Curriculum
Master of Engineering in Australia is a course of a total of 72 credit points to be completed in 1 to 2 years. The 72 credits are divided as follows:
- The professional engineering stream consists of 18 credit points.
- 42 credit points are for major choice. Students can choose any one major like Civil, Biomedical, Robotics, Cybersecurity, Telecommunication & electronics, Environmental, Geotechnical, Manufacturing & Management, etc.
- Remaining 12 credits are for the elective courses. Students can choose any 2 electives each of 6 credit points.
- Students can choose the electives according to their career goals and this can include subjects that are not related to engineering or subjects that can give more deep knowledge in their major streams.
Admission Process for Master of Engineering in Australia
Students are required to have a bachelor of engineering or bachelor of science degree to apply for master of engineering in Australia.
Where to Apply: Applications are accepted directly via respective university’s application portals. Some universities accept offline applications too.
Eligibility for Master of Engineering in Australia Admission
Minimum eligibility requirement for applying to Australian universities is tabulated below:
|University||Minimum Eligibility Required|
|Australian National University||4-year bachelor's degree in engineering with 60% overall|
|University of Melbourne||3-year bachelor's degree in science 65% overall|
|University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney)||3 or 4 years bachelor of engineering with 70% overall|
|University of Queensland||Bachelor's degree with 60% overall|
|University of Western Australia||Bachelor's degree in engineering with 65% overall|
|University of Adelaide||4 years bachelor's degree in engineering in respective fields|
|University of Technology Sydney||Bachelor's degree in engineering, less than 25% of subjects failed|
|University of Wollongong||4-year bachelor's degree in engineering with 60% average|
Proof of English Proficiency
International students whose native language is not English will have to prove their English language proficiency through standardized tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, CAE, etc. Usually, the candidates who have completed their previous studies in the English language can choose to not take these exams. The minimum scores accepted by these top universities of Australia are:
|University||Minimum IELTS Score Required||Minimum TOEFL (iBT) Score Required|
|Australian National University||6.5||80|
|University of Melbourne||6.5||79|
|University of Sydney||6.5||85|
|University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney)||6.5||94|
|University of Queensland||6.5||87|
|University of Western Australia||6.5||82|
|University of Adelaide||6.5||79|
|University of Technology Sydney||6.5||79|
|University of Wollongong||6.5||86|
Documents Required for Master of Engineering in Australia Admission
- Transcripts of all the institutes attended, showing all the subjects attempted and the results.
- English translation of the transcripts/ mark sheets.
- A course-by-course evaluation of the transcripts.
- Scorecards of the English language tests
- A personal statement
Cost of Study for Master of Engineering in Australia
Cost of studying abroad usually includes the pre-arrival cost, tuition fees, and living costs.
Pre-arrival cost includes the expenses that are incurred before arriving at the campus. This may include the application fees, English language exam registration fees, Australian student visa application fees, application acceptance deposit, etc.
|Type of Expense||Cost (in AUD)|
|Application Fees||100 – 150|
|IELTS Registration Fee||329 – 368|
|TOEFL Registration Fee||276|
|Visa Application Fees||575|
Tuition Fees for Master of Engineering in Australia
Cost of Living in Australia
Cost of living in australia includes accommodation, food, transportation and other expenses.
Accomodation charges are tabulated below:
|Accomodation Type||Weekly Cost (in AUD)|
|Hostels and Guesthouses||90 – 150|
|Shared Rental||95 – 215|
|On-Campus||110 – 280|
|Homestay||235 – 325|
|Rental||185 – 440|
Other living expenses are provided below:
- Groceries and Eating Out: 140 - 28- AUD per week
- Gas, Electricity: 10 - 20 AUD per week
- Phone and Internet: 15 - 30 AUD per week
- Public Transport: 30 - 60 AUD per week
- Car (after purchase): 150 - 260 AUD per week
- Entertainment: 80 - 150 AUD per week
Scholarships for Master of Engineering in Australia
Following are the popular scholarships for international students in Australia pursuing Master of Engineering program:
|Australian National University||ANU College of Engineering & Computer Science International Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship||50% of the tuition fees|
|ANU College of Engineering & Computer Science International Postgraduate Merit Scholarship||25% of the tuition fees for up to 1 year|
|ANU College of Engineering & Computer Science International University Partnership award||5000 AUD per annum|
|University of Melbourne||Melbourne Mobility Awards||Up to 6,000 AUD|
|Student Grant (for financial need)||1,000 -10,000 AUD|
|University of Sydney||Dr. Abdul Kalam International Postgraduate Scholarship||50% of the tuition fees|
|The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney)||Joseph barling Fellowship||30,000 AUD|
|University of Queensland||UQ Engineering Latin American Scholarship||10,000 AUD for 1 year|
|Monash University||Master of Professional Engineering International Scholarship||10,000 AUR for 2 years|
|University of Western Australia||Ertech Master of Professional Engineering Scholarship||10,000 AUD|
|North West Shelf Venture Scholarship Gas Processing||8,000 AUD|
|University of Adelaide||The University of Adelaide Global Citizen Scholarship||15% - 30% reduction of the tuition fees|
|Global Academic Excellence Scholarship||50% reduction of the tuition fees|
|University of Technology Sydney||International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship||Full tuition fees|
|Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship||5,000 AUD towards the first session of UTS tuition fees|
|University of Wollongong||UOW Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship||30% discount on the tuition fee|
|UOW Alumni Postgraduate Scholarship||10% discount on tuition fee|
Scope for Master of Engineering in Australia
The world is changing every day with new innovations and technology. With this change, demand for qualified engineers is also increasing. With a master’s degree in engineering, the students get eligibility to become professionally accredited engineers.
In Australia, an engineering graduate can earn an average of 81,500 AUD per annum. The salary increases to about 32% - 36% after 2 to 5 years of experience.
MEng from Australia is specifically designed for students who have a BEng degree and want to gain specialized knowledge in their field. Students can also choose to pursue doctoral degree instead of looking for a job.