Master of Pharmacy in Australia: An Overview
The Masters in Pharmacy is a two years course and provides a direct pathway for registering as a pharmacist. Minimum eligibility criteria for applying to this degree is a B.Pharm. or related degree from a recognized university.
- Average tuition fees of Master of Pharmacy in Australian universities 31,900 AUD - 52,440 AUD per year.
- Average pharmacist salary in Australia is 70,944 AUD per annum.
- Chemist Warehouse, Priceline, Terry White, Amcal, My Chemist etc are some of the top companies recruiting master of pharmacy graduates in Australia.
Why Study Master of Pharmacy in Australia
- Jobs for Pharmacists are expected to grow from 25,500 in 2018 to 27,400 in 2023, according to Job Outlook of Australia.
- It is predicted that there will be around 2,600 pharmacist jobs per year in Australia for the next five years
- 68% of the pharmacists are working on a full-time basis in Australia.
- The percentage of female pharmacists in Australia is much higher than male pharmacists ie. 62%.
|Examination type||Sem Semester-System|
|Eligibility||Bach Bachelors in Pharmacy or related field|
|Course Fees (per year)||31,900 AUD - 52,440 AUD|
|Job Positions||Phar Pharmacy Executive, Medical marketing executive/manager, Pharmacist, Lecturer, Pharmacy In-Charge, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Chemist Warehouse, Priceline, Terry White, Amcal, My Chemist, Pharmacy 777, Terry White Pharmacy|
|Average Salary||70,944 AUD per annum|
Top Universities for Master of Pharmacy in Australia
Top universities for Master of Pharmacy in Australia, with their QS News World University Rankings for 2020, are mentioned below in the table.
|University||QS Ranking 2020||Course Fees (per year)|
|University of Sydney||42||49,000|
|University of Queensland||47||41,040|
|University of Monash||58||31,900|
|University of Western Australia||86||48,600|
|University of Technology Sydney||140||52,440|
|University of Canberra||193||38,500|
|University of Tasmania||291||36,200|
Master of Pharmacy in Australia: What It Is About
The masters degree in pharmacy provides advanced study in the field of pharmacy practice, clinical practice, pharmaceutics and also includes practical training in the community and hospital pharmacy. It is being designed to provide a strong basis of advanced medicine topics for enhancing career prospects.
Following types of postgraduate pharmacy degrees are offered in Australia:
- Master of Pharmacy: Provides advanced study in the areas of pharmacy practice, clinical pharmacy, pharmaceutics, medicinal chemistry, and also includes practical training.
- Masters of Pharmacy (Research): Perfect way for us to merge seamlessly into academic studies while opening new doors into broader pharmaceutical sectors.
- Diploma of Clinical Pharmacy: Provides an opportunity for registered pharmacists to develop clinical pharmacy skills and qualifications particularly those from rural and remote areas.
Specializations for Master of Pharmacy in Australia
The common areas of specializations offered by most Australian universities include the following emerging fields:
- Diagnostic Pathology
- Pharmacotherapy Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Clinical Research
- Radiopharmaceutical Science
- Pharmaceutical Medicine
Master of Pharmacy in Australia: Admission Process
To apply for a Master's degree in pharmacy, a bachelor's degree in this field is required. Also, many universities require you to be registered as a practicing pharmacist or having some experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
Another important factor is that you must have a clean criminal record. Being pharmacists, we work with potentially dangerous and addictive drugs. So, you can understand the university's concerns regarding criminal records.
When to Apply
Most of the universities in Australia offer admission intakes twice a year from January to June, and from June to November. The university recommends international students to apply well in advance of the specified deadlines so that they have enough time for the Australian visa process and secure admission to the program in the desired semester.
ELigibility for Master in Pharmacy in Australia Admission
Applicants eligible for admission into the Master of Pharmacy are subject to meeting the following criteria:
- Minimum 15 years of education with a 10+2+3 breakup
- A 3-4 year bachelor's degree in pharmacy field or other related fields.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Completed an eligible science or health science Bachelor degree within the past 10 years;
- Achieved an overall GPA greater than or equal to 5.0 (on a 7.0 point scale) or 60% in the last 18 months of undergraduate study;
Admission Requirements for Master in Pharmacy in Australia
Before applying for Master of Pharmacy in Australia, you should make sure to have following requisites:
- Application form
- Statement of purpose
- GPA scores
- TOEFL, IELTS or other similar English proficiency test scores
- Official transcripts and Bachelor’s diploma
- Updated CV
- Criminal record/police clearance
Proof of English Proficiency
IELTS, TOEFL or other equivalent test scores are required as a proof of English proficiency. Most universities accept the following minimum scores:
- TOEFL iBT: 88.
- TOEFL PBT: 570
- IELTS: 6.5 – 7.0
- C1 Advanced: 180
Visa Process for International Students
An international student must obtain Australian Student Visa to study and work in Australia for a period longer than six months. You can complete the visa application with the payment of the necessary fee of 413 AUD. The overall student visa acceptance rate is 90%-95% for all the levels of study.
Typically, students must submit the following for the visa:
- Scanned copy of Birth Certificate.
- Copy of passport bio-data page (some students may be asked to physically provide their passport)
- Certificate of Enrolment or Letter of Offer
- Evidence of sufficient funds
- Evidence of health insurance cover
- English proficiency test results
- Criminal record check results
- Four recent passport-sized photographs
- Australian student visa application form
Most visa applications take four weeks to get processed. If one studies in Australia for a particular course which is longer than ten months and gets finished at the end of the Australian academic year (usually mid-December), your visa will often be valid till 15th March the following year.
If your course is longer than ten months and gets finished from January to October, then your visa will usually be valid for two months following the completion of your course.
Cost of Study for Master of Pharmacy in Australia
Australia is one of the most popular study destinations in the world, but unfortunately, it is one of the most expensive countries as students need 20,290 AUD each year for living costs alone.
The 12-month living costs in Australia are as follows;
- For students or guardians - 21,041 AUD
- For partners coming with you - 7,362 AUD
- For a child coming with you - 3,152 AUD
The price that you will spend before reaching Australia is a part of your pre-arrival expense.
|Type of Expense||Cost (in AUD)|
|Australian Student Visa Fee||606|
|Health Insurance||450 - 600|
|IELTS Fee||282 - 300|
|TOEFL (iBT) Fee||245 - 380|
|PTE Fee||280 - 300|
|Air Travel||900 - 1700|
Cost of Living in Australia
Knowing the average living costs in Australia is an important part of your financial preparation. For the reference, here are some of the costs associated with living and studying in Australia (all costs are in Australian dollars):
|Types of Expenses||Cost per week (in AUD)|
|Shared Rental||95 to 215|
|On campus||110 to 280|
|Homestay||235 to 325|
|Groceries and eating out||140 to 280|
|Gas, electricity||10 to 20|
|Phone and Internet||15 to 30|
|Public transport||30 to 60|
|Food||120 to 280|
|Entertainment||80 to 150|
Scholarships for Master of Pharmacy in Australia
The universities and colleges provide a wide range of scholarships for international students in Australia. This helps them to bear the cost of study. The Australian government also offers some of the awards.
Before applying to any of these scholarships, you need to check the eligibility and criteria, along with the closing date.
Below is the list of the scholarships offered in Australia:
|Scholarship||Amount Offered (in AUD)|
|Griffith Family Scholarship||1,000|
|Equity Scholarships scheme||1,500 per semester|
|PhD opportunity: Modulating cardiac fibrosis||26,682|
|Full-Bright Scholarship||1000 – 2500|
|ADCO Sports Excellence Scholarship||10000|
|The Westpac future Leaders Scholarship – USYD||120,000|
|Accommodation Service Merit Scholarship||4000|
|Monash Support Scholarship||3000|
Scope of Master of Pharmacy in Australia
The average pharmacist salary in Australia is 70,944 AUD per annum. Employees with Pharmacists in their job titles earn an average of 6.5% more than the national average. Hobart, Tasmania, Sydney, Queensland, Perth are some of the highest paying cities in Australia for Pharmacy.
Job Opportunities after Master of Pharmacy in Australia
With the demand for pharmacists growing worldwide day-by-day, the career opportunities with a master's degree is vast and financially rewarding.
Some of the top companies for employing pharmacists in Australia with their salaries are as follows:-
|Companies||Salary in AUD (hourly basis)|
|The Chemist Warehouse||31|
|Terry White Pharmacy||33|
Australia is relatively affordable, and the scholarships provided to international students make it easier for them to fund their living and tuition costs.
For many people, a pharmacist is someone who wears a white coat and works behind a counter filling the prescriptions and providing advice to treat common illness. Pharmacy is not only just about filling prescriptions, but it is promotion of health awareness and contributing to the betterment of the community.
Ques. What is a Master of Pharmacy degree?
Ans. Masters in Pharmacy (MPharm) is a two years post graduation degree. It is required for registering as a pharmacist in that particular country.
Ques. Which countries are best for MS in Pharmacy?
Ans. The countries which are best for MS in Pharmacy are the USA, Canada, UK and Australia.
Ques. How much Pharmacists earn in Australia?
Ans. The average salary for a pharmacist is 43.07 AUD per hour in Australia.
Ques. What are the top universities for MPharm in Australia?
Ans. Top Universities in Australia offering this degree are University of Tasmania, University of Monash, University for Queensland, etc.