Master of Public Health in Australia: Comprehensive Course Guide
A master’s program in public health exposes graduates and practitioners to extensive and in-depth knowledge in the field and consolidating their expertise and specialization in this field. Masters of Public Health in Australia spans for a duration of one to three years with a total cost ranging from 30,500 AUD to 100,500 AUD depending on the institution.
- A bachelors in a relevant field with a minimum 60% average is required for admissions.
- Two intake seasons are available for international student admissions.
- Top specializations include biostatistics, epidemiology, public health practice, public health economics, etc.
Why Study Master of Public Health in Australia?
- Top 10 Australian universities rank globally amongst the top 150 universities offering masters in public health abroad.
- The healthcare and medical industry were among the fastest-growing in Australia in 2017, with job opportunities increasing by 11.1%.
- The average annual salary for graduates entering the health industry is around 127,000 AUD. (equivalent of 61 Lakhs INR)
|Program Duration||1-3 years (FT)|
|Fees Range||30,500 AUD to 100,500 AUD|
|Program Resumption Date||Start Year Entry: February|
Mid-Year Entry: July
|Top Specialization||Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Epidemiology, Health Program Evaluation.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||World Health Organization, International Research Agencies, National Hospitals|
|Job Positions||Public Health Analyst, Public Health Consultant, Epidemiologist|
|Average Annual Salaries||110,000 AUD|
Masters of Public Health in Australia: Top Universities
Master of public health is available in some top-ranking universities in Australia. These universities are outlined below according to the world-course ranked by Academic ranking of world universities (ARWU) along with the program, duration of study and program fee.
|ARWU Ranking||University||Program Offered||Program Duration||Program Fee (AUD)|
|23||University of Melbourne||Master of Public Health (MPH)||Two Years||100,499|
|23||University of Queensland||Master of Public Health (MPH)||18 Months||50,136|
|35||University of Sydney||Master of Public Health (MPH)||18 Months Full Time||73,500|
|48||Monash University||Master of Public Health (MPH)||One – Two Years||40,300 - 80,600|
|51-75||University of New South Wales||Master of Public Health (MPH)||One year (Full time)|
Two years (part-time)
|48,280 – 96,560|
|51-75||University of Western Australia||Master of Public Health (MPH)||18 Months||58,650|
|76-100||Queensland University of Technology||Master of Public Health (MPH)||Two years (Full time)|
Four years (part-time) *
|31,800 – 127,200|
|76-100||Australian National University||Master of Public Health (MPH)||Two years||96,000|
|101-150||Curtin University||Master of Public Health (MPH)||Two years||72,500|
|101-150||Griffith University||Master of Public Health (MPH)||12 – 18 Months||30500 – 45,750|
* Applicants with a bachelor degree in a health-related area (such as Behavioural science, psychology, health information management, Medicine (Australian degrees only), Nursing, Nutrition, dietetics, Paramedic science, and Public health) may be eligible for 48 credit points of advanced standing on entry to the course. This will reduce the course duration to 18 months full-time or three years part-time.
Master of Public Health in Australia: What Is It About?
Master of public health is mostly a coursework program that spans for about one – three years in full-time study and two to five years in a part-time program. However, the duration of study in an institution like Monash University, etc depends on the entry qualifications. Students entering with a postgraduate qualification spend lesser duration than students entering with a bachelor’s degree.
In most universities in Australia, masters in public health have three components:
- The core course component which is about six to eight subjects depending on the program structure of the institution
- The specialist/elective components where students focus on their specialization and develop the skills required to work in their chosen public health field.
- The capstone subjects which offer the student the opportunity to apply what they have learned across the core subjects and specialization/elective subjects in real-world projects. The experience component may take the form of a research project with an expert in the field, a practice placement with a recognized organization or selective subjects.
Most international students specialize in one or more of the following key areas are Indigenous Health, Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Nutrition, Aging, Primary Care, Epidemiology & Biostatistics, Sexual Health, Gender and Women’s Health, Global Health, Health Program Evaluation, Health Economics & Economic Evaluation, Indigenous Health, as well as Health Social Sciences
The course has a robust curriculum built from the undergraduate course structure to consolidate and build expertise and specialization amongst students.
In the first year of study, core courses like Foundations of Public health, Prioritising and Planning in Public Health, Quantitative Research in Public Health, Biostatistics and Epidemiology are offered.
Elective courses like the sub-courses of Ageing are also offered. The second-year is usually a progression of the first-year subject plus the introduction of advanced methodology in healthcare practices with research work and work experience.
Graduates of the master program in public health who wish to further their studies and have successfully completed the institution allocated credit point may apply for entry to the Master of Applied Science (Research) or the Doctor of Philosophy as the case may be.
Master of Public Health In Australia: Admissions
Applicants opting to pursue a Master's program in Public Health in Australia must be aware of the following mentioned details.
Where to Apply
Applicants should visit the university's application webpage or the program page on the official website of the institution they wish to apply to. In addition to the official school portal, admission to University of Queens (UQ) and University of Western Australia (UWA) can be processed through Approved UQ Agent and Approved UWA Agent respectively in the applicants country.
Master of Public Health in Australia: Eligibility
The minimum eligibility requirements for studying at some of the top ranking public health universities of Australia are as follows:
|University||UG Degree Requirements||TOEFL||IELTS|
|University of Melbourne||60%||58-64||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|University of Queensland||UG in relevant field||87 with no section less than 19.||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|University of Sydney||UG degree in relevant field||85 with no section less than 19.||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|Monash University||60%||79, with minimum scores: Reading 13, Listening 12, Speaking 18 and Writing 21||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|University of New South Wales||Relevant degree, 2 years of work experience||90 (min. 23 in writing, 22 in reading, listening and speaking)||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|University of Western Australia||60% in relevant degree||82||7.0 (with no band less than 6.5)|
|Queensland University of Technology||65%||90 (min. 21 in writing, 18 in speaking, 16 in reading, and listening)||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0|
|Australian National University||63%||100 with a minimum of 27 in Writing, 24 in Reading and Listening, and 23 in Speaking||7.0 (with no band less than 6.5)|
|Curtin University||Relevant degree||79 with a minimum of 21 in Writing, 13 in Reading and Listening, and 18 in Speaking||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|Griffith University||Relevant degree||79 (no sub-score less than 19)||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
The application fee is required (the amount varies) by some courses and universities but not all universities in Australia charge a fee for the application. Some universities require advance payment before the commencement of school.
Along with your applications you are required to submit the following documents:
- Transcripts – Transcripts showing full details of subjects and grades offered in the previous institution(s) are required.
- Photocopies – Photocopies of all official certificates.
- Certified copies of evidence of course completion if not included on the Transcript
- One – Three Reference or Recommendation letter(s)
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence of English Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Course-specific required documents
- A copy of the passport or photo page of the passport.
- Financial Statements (not necessary)
- Statement of purpose
The applications for all the universities listed above are always carefully reviewed and decisions are mostly released two to twelve weeks on average. Where relevant, admission is usually awarded to the highest ranked applicants or applicants selected based on the relevant requirements.
Masters of Public Health in Australia: Cost of Study
International master’s applicants interested in pursuing a master's program in Public Health in Australia must have sufficient funding which is distributed into three categories- the pre-arrival cost, the cost of study and the cost of living. It costs an average of 9,000 AUD to 58,000 AUD to study a master's program in Public Health in Australia.
The table highlights the pre-arrival cost for international students.
|Type of Expense||Amount (AUD)|
|Program Application Fee||50 – 150|
|Visa Application Fee||620|
|Health Insurance||609 – 938|
|Airfare||545 – 1,800|
Note: These values given are just average and estimated value. Some universities do not charge any amount for application.
Masters in Public Health in Australia: Tuition Fees
Given below is an image comparing the tuition fees for some of the top universities offering the program:
Other Expenses for Studying Masters in Public Health in Australia
The table below highlights the cost of living in Australia. This includes the average of minimum expenses of food, clothing, entertainment, cost of accommodation and transportation required for pursuing a master of public health in Australia.
|Type of Expenses||Amount (AUD) per Annum|
|Hostel and Guesthouse||4,360 – 46,500|
|Share Rentals||4,900 – 36,500|
|On-Campus||5,720 – 37,500|
|Homestay||12,220 – 36,500|
|Groceries and Eating Out||5,230 – 15,600|
|Public Transport||520 – 8,320|
|Entertainment||840 – 7,800|
Masters of Public Health in Australia with Scholarships
The table below shows some available scholarships for international students in Australia pursuing a Master's program in Public Health.
|Scholarships||Amount Offered (AUD)||University|
|Marie Sk?odowska-Curie Actions||20,000 – 160,000||University of Melbourne|
|Oei Family Scholarship||5,000||University of Queensland|
|The Harvey Sutton Public Health Scholarship||10,000||University of Sydney|
|Monash International Merit Scholarship||10,000||Monash University|
|Australia's Global University Award||5,000 – 10,000||University of New South Wales|
|Australian Development Scholarship||25,000||University of Western Australia|
|Faculty of Health International Merit Scholarship||25% of Tuition Fee||Queensland University of Technology [|
|Fulbright Scholarships||40,000||Australian National University|
|Meng Fei Innovative Future leader scholarship||Tuition Fee is waived off||Curtin University|
|Global Study Award||10,000||Griffith University|
Master of Public Health in Australia: Scope
The Master program in Public Health produces industry trained graduates who go onto a varied range of career pathways. International students can decide to work anywhere he/she finds a suitable work, depending on their area of focus.
In a recent survey conducted by the alumni network of Melbourne University, it was discovered that the most common type of organization to be employed in post-graduation were (highest to lowest) are:
- Non-Government Organizations. Examples are international health agencies (either based in Australia or overseas) and large and small local disease-specific agencies, research institutes, etc.
- Government affiliated organizations, such as hospitals, primary health care organization, large international health organizations;
- Government (Local, State, and Federal);
- Universities and Research Institutions;
- Private companies, usually based in Australia. These can be the larger consulting firms, smaller health-focused consulting firms, health communication companies or the pharmaceutical industry.
The job role obtained by master’s in public health degree holders varies due to the versatile nature of the program. Some job titles in this field are listed in the table below together with the average annual salary.
|Job Title||Average Annual Salary|
|Public Health Specialist||87,700|
|Public Health Consultant||102,000|
|Health Promotion, Planning and Evaluation Officer||125,000|
|Public Health Analyst||98,300|
|Healthcare Data Analyst||96,100|
|medical and health services manager||112,000|
Some examples of organizations that employ health workers and undertake public health work are Hospitals, Community Health Services, World Health Organisation, Universities, Health Research Institute, Consulting firms (PwC Australia; Deloitte Access Economics), Center for Disease Control, Family Planning and Sexual Health Centre, The Cancer Council, Department of Health (State government), Department of Health (Commonwealth government), Local Government, etc.
This program will benefit health professionals interested in moving into the public health area; mid-career health professionals seeking advancement in their area of work and clinicians wishing to broaden their range of expertise and/or move into management.