Masters in Architecture in Australia: Course Guide for International Students
A full-time masters in architecture in Australia is a 2 year program offered to a student with a bachelor’s degree in architectural design or a bachelors in architecture and an environment or equivalent can apply for this course. The program fees ranges from 34,700 AUD to 135,720 AUD.
- More than 15 universities in Australia have made it to the top 200 universities of the QS World Rankings 2020 for architecture program.
- With higher possibilities of getting employed as a surveyor or architectural engineer, an entry-level graduate can enjoy an annual package of 51,000 AUD.
- To support international students financially to study in Australia, the Australian Government offers many scholarship programs. More than 1000 funding programs are also run by private agencies and universities in Australia.
Why study Masters in Architecture in Australia?
At present, Australia boasts of a total of 517,519 International students in different reputed universities. This international student enrollment has gone up by almost 11% since 2017. A few of the reasons for studying Masters in Architecture in Australia have been mentioned below:
- The Australian Government contributes 300 million AUD every year to scholarships for international students for unleashing talents.
- 15 universities of Australia offering Masters in Architecture are among the top 200 universities in the world according to QS University Rankings 2020 for Architecture program.
- Job openings are expetced to rise by 9000 over the time of upcoming 5 years with 1800 jobs being introduced each year, as per Job Outlook Australia.
- An architect or architectural designer observes a 9% increment every 15 months in Australia compared to the national average of 8% (inclusive of all careers).
- Australia is ranked 4 in the top 7 countries. It offers the highest paid jobs for architects with a monthly salary of 4,750 AUD/month (=2,14,694 INR).
- As per Arch Dialy, among the top 100 architecture firms of the world, 7 are housed in Australia namely GHD, Hames Sharley, Hasell, Cox Architecture, Woods Bagot etc. These organizations employ M. Arch graduates with a median salary of 85,000 AUD/year.
Masters in Architecture in Australia: Course Highlights
|Course||Masters in Architecture (MArch.)|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in Architecture/ Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture and Environment|
|Tuition fees||34,700 AUD to 135,720 AUD|
|Admission process||UG in relevant subject, TOEFL or IELTS or PTE or Cambridge (Advanced)|
|Job profile||Architect, Architectural Drafter, Architectural Technician, Architectural Designer, Architectural Manager|
|Entry-level package||66,500 AUD- 84,000 AUD|
Top Universities for Masters in Architecture in Australia
As per QS Rankings 2020 for Architecture, the top universities offering Masters of Architecture in Australia are tabulated below. Given below is also a detail of the program duration and fees:
|Name of University||QS Ranking 2020||Program duration||Program Fees ( in AUD)|
|University of Melbourne||17||2-3 years||135,720|
|University of Sydney||18||2 years||84,000|
|RMIT University||25||2 years||82,560|
|University of New South Wales||27||2 years||87,200|
|Curtin University||51-100||2 years||65,400|
|Monash University||51-100||2-3 years||82,000- 123,000|
|Queensland University of Technology||51-100||1 year||34,700|
|University of Queensland||51-100||2 years||81,280|
|University of Technology Sydney||51-100||2 years||77,472|
|University of Adelaide||101-150||2 years||74,000|
The duration of the program for some of the Australian universities is dependent on the previous degree. If you have a previous qualification in subject other than architecture, you will be required to pursue the program for an additional year.
Masters in Architecture in Australia: Course and Curriculum
Masters in Architecture is a studio-based program that allows students to bring progressive thinking into designing. Thus, students are able to align environment, ethics, aesthetics and creative skill in the architectural profession.
- Usually a two-year program at universities in Australia
- Each academic year is divided into 2 semesters.
- The curriculum includes subjects as construction methods, architectural methods, architectural technologies, applied architectural practices, designing, etc.
- You may be required to submit a design thesis.
Universities in Australia also offer a master of architecture program as a research-based degree. Other options or variables to the Masters of Architecture in Australia are the Masters in Landscape Architecture, Master of Urban and Regional Planning etc.
How to apply for Masters in Architecture in Australia?
To apply for Masters of Architecture in Australia a student is required to follow a few basic steps:
- Choose the university and course as per choice
- Note the application dates and deadlines
- Obtain test score for English proficiency
- Keep all the required documents in hand and upload on the official portals at time of applying
- After receiving an acceptance letter from the preferred university apply for an Australian student visa
Eligibility for Masters in Architecture in Australia
Academic requirements to apply for a Masters of Architecture in Australia are as follows:
- Australian Universities expect applicants to have four years, full-time Bachelor’s degree in Architecture and design or equivalent.
- Alternatively, international students can have a three years of full-time bachelor’s degree with honors in architectural studies.
- Applicants from a few countries might also need a one year of full-time post-graduation studies in architecture from recognized universities.
- A minimum of 5.0 GPA (65%) or equivalent in the undergraduate course.
- A portfolio of design work from undergraduate studies in a digital format must be mandatorily submitted.
If you have a bachelors degree in subjects not relevant to architecture, you can still apply for the program. However, you will be required to pursue the degree for an extended year in most cases.
Language Proficiency for Masters in Architecture in Australia
Non-native English speaking students need to appear English language proficiency tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE (Academic) and Cambridge (Advanced) to prove their fluency in speaking this language. Different universities have different minimum score requirement. These are detailed below:
|University||Minimum Required Scores for TOEFL (iBT)||Minimum Required Scores for IELTS||Minimum Required Scores for PTE||Minimum Required Scores for CAE|
|University of Melbourne||79||6.5||50||176|
|University of Sydney||96||7.0||68||--|
|University of New South Wales||94||7.0||65||185|
|Queensland University of Technology||79||6.5||58||176|
|University of Queensland||87||6.5||64||176|
|University of Technology Sydney||79-93||6.5||58-64||176-184|
|University of Adelaide||79||6.5||58||176|
Documents Required for Masters in Architecture in Australia
Documents required to be submitted along with the admission applications to universities in Australia for Masters in Architecture are:
- Completed application form.
- Complete records of passed out examinations collected from previous institutes or universities.
- Personal Statement: statement outlining the motivation for applying for the Masters in Architecture program.
- CV including personal details, academic achievements and any professional experience.
- A digital portfolio that includes a package of images, drawings, sketches, paintings, models, photographs, computer work, etc. of personal creative/design projects.
- Proof of English language proficiency through tests such as TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or CAE.
Australian Student Visa
International students applying to study in Australia need to have a student visa to Australia. Documents required for visa application include:
- Passport or birth certificate
- Evidence of financial support for full duration of the program
- Proofs of GTE or Genuine Temporary Entrant
- Offer letter from the university
- Test score for English language competency: IELTS (5.5), TOEFL (iBT) (46), PTE (Academic) (42), Cambridge (Advanced) (162)
Students will need to appear for a student visa interview with the Australian Embassy in their respective home countries.
Cost for Studying Masters in Architecture in Australia
To study abroad, the costs that are involved can be graded into pre-arrival expenses, living cost and tuition fees. being familair with the breakdown works in the favor of an international student. The pre-arrival expenses include the costs you may spend on various tests etc before leaving for the country. The post-arrival expense is majorly formed by the tuition anf cost of living. The details of the same are provided below:
Before heading to Australia for higher education, students need to know the pre-arrival expenses that include application fees, visa and flight charges, and even the university registration fees. The table below shows the details as:
|Type of expenses||Costs (AUD)|
|Visa application fees||575|
|IELTS application fees||340|
|TOEFL application fees||300|
Tuition fees for Masters in Architecture in Australia
Tuition fees are an important part of the total expenses incurred for studying abroad. For a Masters of Architecture in Australia, total tuition fees range between 34,700 AUD to 135,720 AUD.
As depicted in the graph, the lowest annual fees for masters in architecture in Australia is of Curtin University. However, as the total program duration of Queensland University of Technology is only one-year, the overall cost of pursuing the program is lowest from QUT.
Cost of Living in Australia
Living cost is an important aspect while considering the stay in a foreign land during the entire program duration. At times, students wish to stay back, hence managing the finances can be possible if the expenses are known beforehand. The cost of living depends on the type of student accommodation in Australia, and other expenses such as groceries, transportation, etc.
|Type of expenses||Expenses (in AUD/week)|
|Homestay||450 – 1200|
|Students Hall||440 – 1100|
|Rent of Apartment||750 – 1700|
The weekly expenses of an international student vary between 775 AUD and 1,135 AUD. However, these average expenses may vary depending on personal circumstances or spending habits.
Scholarships for Masters in Architecture in Australia
Masters in Architecture in Australia is a well-known course among international students. As a fact, the universities find a huge turnout every year despite the program fees being high. Taking a cue from the fact that international students contribute 57 billion AUD to the country’s local economy, the Australian Government offers scholarship programs to unleash sheer talents. Some of the scholarships for international students in Australia are as follows:
|Australia Awards||All||IELTS: 6.5, PTE (Academic):58, TOEFL (iBT): 79||30,000|
|UNSW Scholarship Program||University of New South Wales||PG applicants||8,442 /year|
|Future of Change Scholarships||University of New South Wales||Meritorious Indian UNSW PG applicants||8,442 /year|
|International Scientia Coursework Scholarship||University of New South Wales||PG UNSW aspirants with PG LOR||33,729.66 for the entire program|
|Curtin International Scholarship||Curtin University||Merit-based;|
Enrolled in a PG Coursework program
|25% of tuition fees for first year|
|International fee waiver scholarship||University of Queensland||International students applying for M. arch in University of Queensland||50% of tuition fee|
Searching for more scholarships to study masters courses in Australia? Click here, to fin out more.
Job Prospects for Masters in Architecture in Australia
The opportunities for international students post studies in Australia after Masters in Architecture are immense. Most of the postgraduates expect a salary hike from other professionals even if they lack work experience. Architecture professionals working in Australia earn somewhere between 61,000 AUD to 100,000 AUD (maximum), annually. Salary distribution in the field of Architecture in Australia suggests almost 25% of the professionals earn 66,500 AUD, 50% around 83,900 AUD and the rest around 99,400 AUD.
Here is a detailed account of the job roles and average salary that an M.Arch graduate student in Australia can work for:
|Job Role||Average Annual Salary (AUD)|
|Assistant Architectural Manager||94,900|
With the majority of Australian universities being internationally recognized, Masters of Architecture in Australia has found a good name among International students. Considering research citations, academic excellence, and employment reputation, international students prefer to study in Australia.
The University of Queensland and Curtin University have made their positions stable in the top ranking universities of the world. Here, students can avail a postgraduate degree not only in architecture but also in sustainable construction with specialization in urban planning and conservation. Additionally, students can also expect a handsome paycheck after they graduate.
Ques. Is there a possibility for international students to stay back in Australia after graduation?
Ans. In most cases, international students prefer to stay back after completion of M. Arch. The reason is the immense opportunity to work in renowned organizations in Australia. Students can apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) to work in Australia for 2-4 years.
Ques. Can international students become registered architects in Australia?
Ans. Yes. Students applying for Masters in Architecture at the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (ACCA) accredited universities can be registered Architects. Also, they need to have an education in architecture for at least 5 years and upon completion of the degree, must appear for Architectural Practice Examination.
Ques. How to know whether the program is accredited by ACCA or not?
Ans. Access the list of programs accredited by ACCA from their official website. You can easily find out whether the univeristy you chose to pursue masters in architecture in Australia is approved under ACCA or not.
Ques. What are the basic eligibility requirements for Masters of Architecture in Australia?
Ans. To be eligible for the Masters in Architecture program in Australia, applicants must have a bachelor's degree (65%) in architecture from a recognized university or college in Australia or abroad. Students are required to submit their portfolio with a collection of their designs and layouts. You will be additionally required to studmit IELTS (6.5) and TOEFL scores (79).
Ques. What is the cost of studying Masters of Architecture in Australia?
Ans. The tuition fee for Masters in Architecture in Australia ranges from 34,700 AUD to 135,720 AUD for the full program. The whole program duration ranges from one to three years depending on the university and your bachelor’s degree.
Ques. How much can you earn with a Masters of Architecture in Australia?
Ans. You can earn as much as 105,000 AUD/year depending on your job profile. However, the average annual salary for a postgraduate in architecture in Australia is around 40-50,000 AUD annually at an entry level.