Masters in Law in Australia: Course Guide for International Students
Masters in Law in Australia is a 2 Years course one can usually pursue after bachelor’s in Law, which provides an in-depth study of the subject and helps in pursuing a legal academic career. Australia is a leading destination for pursuing higher studies in legal fields which gives it a unique position with one of the best lawyers in the world.
- After completing Masters one is expected to earn more than $30000. This could rise to $140000 with experience.
- Australia has 39 Universities providing LLM, out of which 6 Universities are best in the world when it comes to LLM.
Why Study Masters in Law in Australia?
- In some jurisdictions “ Masters of Law” is the basic professional degree for admission into legal practise.
- According to QS Rankings, 7 Australian Universities rank in top 100 Law Universities in the World.
- Australia has an overall of 38 accredited Law Universities.
- According to the Government of Australia, Higher Education including Masters in Law is the preference of 12% of all the International Students coming to Australia.
- In 2019, there are about 720,150 international students studying in Australia which is an 11% growth compared to the previous year.
- In 2019, 31% of International Students coming to Australia to complete higher education are from India which is a 33% hike from 2018.
After completion of the Master's program, an international student can stay in Australia for 18 months to gather work experience with the help of a Graduate Skilled Temporary Visa.
|Course||Masters in Law|
|Eligibility||Bachelors in any field, TOEFL/ IELTS scores|
|Recruitment Domain||Judge, Attorney, Immigration Executive, Candidate attorney etc|
|Entry Level Package||$30,000|
|Tuition fee range||$10000-45000|
Top Universities for Masters in Law in Australia
When planning to study law abroad, an international student wants to pursue his/her education from the bestest institute available. The top 10 Universities in Australia providing LLM with the specific rankings in the field of law, Program Name and Duration, Tuition fees and salary are discussed below in details:
|QS World University Ranking (Law)||University||Program Name||Tuition Fees|
|#10||University of Melbourne||Masters of Law||44416|
|#13||University of Sydney||Masters of Law||49000|
|#14||University of New South Wales||Masters of Law||43920|
|#17||Australian National University||Masters of Law||45864|
|#35||Monash University||Masters of Law||36000|
|#39||University of Queensland||Masters of Law||42272|
|#86||University of Western Australia||Masters of Law||38000|
|#106||University of Adelaide||Masters of Law||42500|
|#237||Macquarie University||Master of Law||37500|
|#320||Griffith University||Master of Law||23580|
Admissions in Masters in Law in Australia
The sections below details of admissions like procedure, eligibility, and documents required for an international student seeking admission to masters in law.
- Apply directly to the University accompanied with appropriate certificates.
- Students should go through the brochure that has the course details, fees, and the no of credit points that the student should need to complete their masters.
- If accepted the student will receive a letter of acceptance from the university.
- Bachelor in Law or Juris Doctor.
- Bachelor's from other fields may also apply but they will need a weighted average mark or WAM.
- 2 years minimum work experience is asked, especially when the student is from a different discipline.
- TOEFL, IELTS and PTE scores are generally accepted, with IELTS scores ranging in the area of 6.5-7 and TOEFL scores minimum at 570.
- GPA scores are also required depending on the University.
University-Specific Eligibility is tabulated below:
|University||Eligibility||Other criterias||ELP Test Score|
|University of Melbourne||Bachelors of Law(LLB), Juris Doctor or equivalent||2 Years of documented work experience||IELTS: 7|
|University of Sydney||LLB or Juris Doctor||-||IELTS: 7|
|University of New South Wales||LLb or Juris Doctor||If credit average is not available then 2 years of work experience||IELTS: 7|
|Australian National University||LLB or Juris Doctor with Honours Bachelor in another degree with a minimum GPA- 5||GPA: 4 with 2 years experience||TOEFL: 570(4.5 TWE)|
IELTS: 6.5(with no band less than 6.0)
|Monash University||secondary schooling in English medium Bachelor’s Degree||-|
|University of Queensland||LLB or Junior Doctor from a certified University||GPA: 4 2 Years of Work Experience|
IELTS: 6.5( with no band less than 6) TOEFL: 570
|University of Western Australia||LLB, Junior Doctor UWA weighted average marks of at least 60%||Completed 24 points of a graduate diploma in law from this University with UWA weighted average mark of at least 60%||GPA: 3|
|University of Adelaide||LLB or Equivalent qualification from an approved institution||-||IELTS: 6.5( with no band less than 6)|
|Macquarie University||Good WAM.||2 years of work experience||IELTS: 6.5|
|Griffith University||Bachelor's Degree in any discipline||A graduate certificate in Australian Migration Law and Practice with a minimum GPA of 4|
IELTS: 6.5( with no subscore less than 6) TOEFL: 575
- Graduation Certificate
- IELTS/TOEFL/ PTE scores: these are tests required to study in Australia
- Passport/ Birth Certificate/ Identification Card
- Medical Reports(If any)
- Criminal Records( If any)
- Attested Marksheets and certificates and work experiences letter
- Important telephone numbers and addresses in India and Australia
- Health Insurance details
Australian Student Visa
- Before applying for Visa, English Language Test Scores, confirmation of enrolment from the University in Australia and proof of funds must be obtained.
- Application for Australian student Visa is submitted through Immi Account which is a tool to create, submit, make payments and manage all online visa-related applications in one window.
- Visa Application fee: $413, it can be paid online through MasterCard, VISA, American Express etc
- A student may opt for Subclass 500 Student Visa or Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa according to his need. Temporary Graduate Visa allows the student to stay for 2 years after completing his education to gain work experience.
- For Higher Education Sector Student Visa processing time is around a month and the acceptance rate is around 23%
- The Validity of Student Visa is for the duration of the course only.
- Incomplete Documents, Choosing a course not related to previous academic studies, the financial inability of the student, low marks in English Proficiency Tests, Health Issues are some of the reasons for Visa's refusal.
Cost of Studying Masters in Law in Australia
When planning to study abroad, Australia is a comparatively less expensive country to study in. The sections below discuss the costs of studying master's in law in Australia.
The Costs of studying in Australia begins way before physically landing on its shores. Below are some of the costs that one has to endure before reaching there, like visa fees, IELTS fees, TOEFL fees are some more:
|Visa Application Fees||413|
Post arrival Expenses
The Government of Australia states that one must prove to have $14600 for living costs per year. If the person has a partner then $5100 is added and if the person has a child then $2200 is added per child.
Along with these the person must prove to have funds to travel by air and also bring every family member along with him. The Study in Australia guidelines states that any person should have a budget of $ 60-317 per week.
Australia has Universities that are costly but also have Universities that are less pocket pinching. Some Universities have tuition fees that go beyond $50000, but some Universities are also present that are offering the same course at a price that is as low as $15000. The graph below compares the costs of tuition for popular universities:
Cost of Living
The cost of living in Australia is reasonable. Sydney is 18% cheaper than London and 28% cheaper than in New York City. Sydney is the most expensive city in Australia.
|Groceries and Eating out||80-280|
|Gas and Electricity||25-100|
|Phone and Internet||14-40|
Funding for Studying Masters in Law in Australia
Australia has a whole range of scholarship programs for international students that help with the expenses. Most of them are academic in nature. All Universities offer scholarships that are unique to the University, some of them, are:
|Name||University Name||Award (AUD)||Special Note|
|International Postgraduate Coursework Award||Melbourne University||25-100% Fee remission||Last Date: 31st Dec 2020 No of Students: 50|
|Sydney Scholars India Scholarship Program||University of Sydney||Up to $50000||Open Date: 1st April 2020 Closing Date: 31st May 2020|
|International Scientia Coursework Scholarship||University of New South Wales||Full tuition fee||Deadline: 31st March 2020|
|ANU College of Law International Excellence Scholarship||Australian National University||$10000 per annum||Deadline: Open all year round No of Students: 5|
Find out more about scholarships available to international students in Australia, here
Masters in Law in Australia: Scope
A whole range of jobs are available after completing LLM in Australia. The average income of a person in a legal background is $60000 which can rise to $92000. Around 25% of the people with legal backgrounds earn more than $76000. The best hike is expected after 2-5 years of job experience. After completing Masters in law one is expected to get a hike of around 29%.
|Administrative Law Judge||86584|
Legal career gives you more returns than the national average. Average earnings in Australia is $54000 but the average income of a person having legal background is $60000. In Australia, it is likely there will be an increment of 8% every 16 months which is decent compared to other countries.
Australia is a large, beautiful but also a unique country. Apart from the hundreds of birds and animals that is native to the place, it’s education system is also native to this part of the world. No wonder millions of students flock to this region. Australia has built its teaching system keeping in mind the millions of international students that come here for a better future.