Master of Physiotherapy in Australia: A Complete Course Guide
Master of Physiotherapy in Australia is offered, by over 23 universities, to students having a medical background. It is a 1 to 3-year duration program with a practical training module integrated into studies. Over 53 postgraduates courses in physiotherapy are offered in Australian universities.
4.6% of the total registered health practitioners in Australia in 2018 were physiotherapists. Their number also increased from 24,166 in 2013 to 31,419 in 2018, according to the Physiotherapy Board of Australia.
- A bachelor's degree in physiotherapy or related disciplines is required to apply for Master of Physiotherapy in Australia.
- Some universities such as Curtin University also accept students with undergraduate degrees from any field if they have relevant work experience.
- Tuition fee of universities offering masters in physiotherapy in Australia is between 37,000 AUD to 59,000 AUD per annum.
- Average salary earned by a graduate of Master of Physiotherapy in Australia is 163,000 AUD per annum.
Why Study Physiotherapy in Australia?
- As per the Australian Job Outlook report, there will be 2,600 job openings per year for physiotherapists in Australia, till 2023.
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment included physiotherapists in the list of occupations having skill shortage in Australia.
- Over 13,000 new jobs in Australia are expected to be created for physiotherapists up to 2023.
- Australia is also the second-highest paying country for physiotherapists with an average salary of 83,000 AUD per annum.
- An up-gradation from bachelors to Master of Physiotherapy in Australia increases the salary of a student by 33%.
- Starting with an average salary of 102,000 AUD per annum, a physiotherapist in Australia with 5 to 10 years of experience can earn up to 170,000 AUD per annum.
Due to booming job prospects and lucrative salaries offered, more number of international students are coming to study physiotherapy program in Australian universities.
Top Universities offering Master of Physiotherapy in Australia
According to QS News World University Ranking of 2020, following are the top universities offering Master of Physiotherapy in Australia:
|QS Ranking 2020||University||Program Duration||Total Tuition Fees (in AUD)|
|38||University of Melbourne||3 years||1,37,096|
|42||University of Sydney||2 years||114,000|
|47||University of Queensland||2 years||117,840|
|140||University of Technology, Sydney||2 years||100,280|
|230||Curtin University||1 year||37,200|
|274||University of South Australia||2 year||91,600|
|383||Swinburne University of Technology||2 year||83,196|
|400||La Trobe University||2 year||92,800|
|424||Flinders University||2 year||86,000|
|484||University of Canberra||2 year||96,000|
Apart from the above institutions, some other top-ranked universities that offer postgraduate courses in physiotherapy are
- James Cook University: Master of Rehabilitation
- University of South Australia: Master of Advanced Clinical Physiotherapy (Sports) and Master of Advanced Clinical Physiotherapy (Musculoskeletal)
- University of Western Australia: Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology
Course Curriculum of Master of Physiotherapy in Australia
The course of Master of Physiotherapy includes therapeutic exercise and the application of electro physical modalities along with manual exercise expertise. The subjects which are covered in this program in top universities of Australia are listed below:
- Foundations of Physiotherapy- Fundamentals of Communication, Movement & Exercise
- Foundations of Physiotherapy- Fundamentals of Examination & Measurement
- Health Sciences Research Discovery
- Theory, Practice & Research: Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy – Upper and Lower Limb, Lumbar Spine, Cervical and Thoracic Spine,
- Practice & Research in Physiotherapy Across the Lifespan
- Theory, Practice & Research: Cardiothoracic Physiotherapy
- Health Promotion, Participation, and Preparation for Physiotherapy Practice
- Clinical Practice & Professional Studies - Intro Musculoskeletal & Acute Care
- Theory, Practice & Research: Neurological Physiotherapy.
Admission Process for Master of Physiotherapy in Australia
Students with a background in the healthcare-related fields such as a degree in any of the healthcare discipline or relevant work experience can apply for Master of Physiotherapy in Australia.
Where to Apply: Students can apply to Australian universities directly via the official website.
When to Apply: Intake months for studying in Australia is usually February and July. Some universities also accept applications for March and August month.
Eligibility for Master of Physiotherapy in Australia Admission
- Bachelor's degree in physiotherapy or related field
- 60% or above at undergraduate level
- Proof of English proficiency
Proof of English Proficiency for International Students
International students are required to provide evidence of English proficiency by submitting IELTS or TOEFL scores. The minimum score required for admission in some Australian universities is provided below:
|University||Minimum IELTS Score Required||Minimum TOEFL (iBT) Score Required|
|University of Melbourne||7.0||79|
|University of Sydney||7.0||96|
|University of Queensland||7.0||100|
|University of Technology, Sydney||7.0||79|
|University of South Australia||7.0||94|
|Swinburne University of Technology||6.5||79|
|University of Canberra||7.0||79|
Documents Required for Master of Physiotherapy in Australia Admission
Some universities may also require submission of following additional documents for admission in Master of Physiotherapy:
- Personal Statement
- Registration with Physiotherapists Board in Australia
- Reference letters
- Certificate of immunization
Cost of Studying Master of Physiotherapy in Australia
Various expenses incurred while studying abroad include tuition fees and cost of living. In addition to this, students also have certain expenses to pay while applying to a university known as pre-arrival cost.
This includes registration fees of various tests required to get admission in Australian universities, application fees, Australian student visa registration fee, etc. A glance at these costs can be taken from the table below:
|Expense Type||Amount (in AUD)|
|Australian Student Visa Fees||606|
|IELTS Registration Fee||282-300|
|TOEFL (iBT) Registration Fee||245-380|
|PTE Registration Fee||280-300|
Tuition Fees for Master of Physiotherapy in Australia
Curtin University has the lowest tuition fee of 37,200 per annum for Master of Physiotherapy. The program duration of this university is also only 1 year.
Cost of Living in Australia
The living cost in Australia for international students comprises of accommodation, food, utilities, transportation costs etc. Monthly expenses can be broken down as follows:
- Homestay: 450 – 1200
- Student halls of residency: 440 – 1100
- Rent an apartment: 750 – 1700
- Food: 500 – 1000
- Transportation: 30 – 70
- Internet: 70 – 120
- Books and Study Material: 500 – 1000
Scholarships to Study Master of Physiotherapy in Australia
Universities offer scholarships for international students in Australia as financial help to lower the expenses required for studying here. Some of these scholarships are linked with admission application and students are automatically considered for them whereas some require submission of specific applications.
|University||Scholarship||Amount (in AUD)|
|University of Melbourne||Melbourne Mobility Awards||Up to 6000|
|Graduate Research Scholarships||100% fee waiver up to 1,10,000|
|Gates Cambridge scholarships||Fully paid study|
|University of Sydney||Sydney Scholars India Equity Scholarship||Up to AUD 60,000|
|University of Queensland||Alfred and Olivia Wynne Memorial Scholarships||3,000|
|UQ future students a postgraduate scholarship for high achievers- India||10,000 in two equal instalments|
|University of Technology, Sydney||International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship||Full Tuition Scholarship|
|UTS Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship||5000 for the first year|
|UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework||3000 for the first year|
|Curtin University||Curtin Alumni and Friends International Scholarships||25% of Tuition Fees|
|Meng Fei Innovative Future Leader Scholarship||25% of Tuition fees up to AUD 10,000|
|University of South Australia||International Merit Scholarship||25% of the Tuition fees|
|International Excellence Scholarships||50% of the Tuition Fees|
|Swinburne University of Technology||Swinburne International Scholarship||50% of Tuition fees|
|Swinburne International Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship||21,000 for 2-year coursework degree|
|La Trobe University||Excellence Scholarships||25% of Tuition Fee|
|University of Canberra||University of Canberra International Course Merit Scholarship||25% of Tuition Fee|
|University of Canberra International High Achiever Scholarship||20% of Tuition Fee|
The Australian government and various other organizations also offer external grants and awards for meritorious students which can be tapped through the international student’s office of the universities.
To know more about scholarships for international students in Australia, click here.
Scope of Master of Physiotherapy in Australia
An average salary for a physiotherapist in Australia is 162,000 AUD per year. The entry-level earnings start at 102,000 AUD per year while most experienced workers make up to 235,000 AUD per annum.
Some of the job role available for physiotherapy graduates in Australia is tabulated below:
|Position||Job Responsibility||Average Salary (in AUD)|
|Physiotherapist||Helping people in recovering from accidents via physical exercises, massages etc||94,000|
|Occupational therapist||Uses everyday activities to treat patients||75,000|
|Sports Therapist||Treats injury incurred while playing sports,||87,116|
|Acupuncturist||Treating hypertension or anxiety via acupuncture techniques||66,675|
|Exercise Physiologist||Developing physical exercise plans for clients||81,041|
After completion of Master of Physiotherapy in Australia, students become eligible to register with Physiotherapists Board in Australia. University forwards the details of the students to the board and there is no payment for this. However, certain documentation or immunization process may be required to register with the board.
Physiotherapy courses are gaining popularity in the developed countries due to medical conditions arising out of the sedentary lifestyle. This makes Master of Physiotherapy a lucrative option for students from around the world.
Ques. Name some of the popular universities offering Master of Physiotherapy in Australia.
Ans. University of Melbourne, University of Sydney, University of Queensland, University of Technology Sydney and Curtin University are some of the popular universities offering Master of Physiotherapy in Australia.
Ques. How much is the expense of pursuing Master of Physiotherapy in Australia for international students?
Ans. The annual tuition fees of universities offering Master of Physiotherapy in Australia is between 37,000 AUD to 59,000 AUD. Other expenses incurred include the cost of living which is approximately 1,700 AUD per month.
Ques. Is it worth pursuing Master of Physiotherapy in Australia?
Ans. Physiotherapists are included in the list of occupations with skill shortage in Australia by Department of Education, Skills and Employment. Thus, more qualified professionals are needed in this field. Also, more than 13,000 new jobs are expected to be created for physiotherapists by 2023. All these factors imply that there are enough career opportunities for international students pursuing a Master of Physiotherapy in Australia.
Ques. What are the requirements for applying to Master of Physiotherapy in Australia?
Ans. Bachelors degree in physiotherapy or medicine related field with 60% or above is required to apply for Master of Physiotherapy in Australia.
Ques. How much does a physiotherapist earn in Australia?
Ans. A graduate of Master of Physiotherapy in Australia is offered an average annual salary of 163,000 AUD. At entry-level, the average salary offered is 102,000 AUD per annum.