Bachelor of Accounting in Canada: Comprehensive Course Guide
Bachelors of Accounting in Canada is usually available as a major to degrees like BCom (Bachelor of Commerce) and BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration). Bachelor of accounting in Canada is usually a 4-year full-time program costing anywhere between 94,000 to 2,74,000 CAD in total.
- Top universities in Canada offer intake to the program in majorly two sessions: Fall and Winter.
- You are required to complete 120 units (30 per year) for completing a bachelor of accounting in Canada
- Professionals in Accounting and Finance sectors in Canada earn an average salary of 163,000 CAD/year with an annual salary range of 74,700 CAD to 346,000 CAD.
- The salary forecast for the accounting sector in Canada has been on the rise since 2016. Given below is a graph depicted the average salaries:
As per this graph, it can be concluded that an increase of 4% was observed in the average salary from 2016-17. A rise of 3% followed in the next two years.
Why Study Bachelors of Accounting in Canada
- Most accounting degrees offered by the Canadian Universities are accredited by one of the largest national accounting organizations in the world, the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA Canada).
- Robert Half survey of more than 250 finance leaders in Canada quote 97% of finance leaders reported challenges in finding a skilled accounting professional.
- Accountants in the oil and gas and holding/conglomerate business sectors make the highest median salaries of 157,000 CAD and 150,000 CAD respectively.
- Smith School of Business records 98% of Bcom graduates employed within 6 months with a high base salary of 119,655 CAD/year.
- The chart focuses on the employment distribution of the 2018 BCom students with accounting specialization in various sectors.
Bachelors in Accounting in Canada: Top Universities
The enlisted table illustrates the top 10 universities in Canada (listed by QS World University Rankings: Accounting and Finance 2020) offering a 4-year undergraduate program with an accounts specialization. The table also enlists the schools, program offered and the program fees.
|QS World University Rankings||University||School/Faculty||Degree offered||Total Program Fees(CAD)|
|BAcc (Bachelors in Accounting)|
|51-100||Brock University||Goodman School of Business||BAcc||1,33,236|
|BCom (Bachelors in Commerce) Accounting Specialization|
|#29||University of Toronto (U of T)||UToronto, Mississauga||BCom||2,28,080|
|#51||University of British Columbia||Commerce and Business Administration||Bcom||1,96,950|
|#113||University of Alberta*||Alberta School of Business||Bcom||1,40,000|
|#140||McMaster University||DeGroote School of Business||Bcom||1,52,640|
|#173||University of Waterloo||School of Accounting and Finance||Bachelors in Accounting and Financial Management(BAFM)||1,41,600|
|#233||University of Calgary||Haskayne School of Business||Bcom||91,160|
|#239||Queen’s University at Kingston||Smith School of Business||Bcom||1,83,160|
|#280||Dalhousie University||Rowe School of Business||Bcom||94,500|
|#281||University of Ottawa||Telfer School of Management||Honours BCom Accounting||2,74,524|
*University of Alberta does not offer BCom accounting directly after completion of high school.
Bachelors of Accounting in Canada: Admission Process
The admission process for pursuing a Bachelor in Accounting in Canada is almost similar for international and domestic students. However, international applicants should present a senior level/Grade 12 English course for admission consideration, apart from fulfilling the program-specific academic/non-academic requirements of the Canadian universities.
How To Apply
Prospective international applicants can apply in one of two ways to the desired university of study for an accounting degree. Apply well in advance before the application deadlines to ensure enough time for obtaining a Canadian study permit.
- Directly to the university, by completing the online application on the official website of the respective university (or)
- The university specified application processing services.
Note: During the application process, prospective students are free to select a Commerce/ Business Administration/ other relative undergraduate degree program but will not officially be admitted to a formal program of study(specialist, major, minor) until after the first year.
Bachelors of Accounting in Canada: Eligibility
Most of the universities in Canada follow similar eligibility criteria for admission to a bachelor's accounting degree. However, the application requirements are university dependent. International students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the program:
- Applicants must have a minimum educational background of 12 years which mandates a break up of 10+2, proof of which is mandatory.
- Indian students can provide proof of CBSE/ICSE/GCE A level/Senior Secondary Education certificates.
- University of Waterloo Admissions: Minimum 12th grade percentage should be 75%
- Queen’s University Admissions: Minimum percentage 80% with English and Maths are core subjects.
- University of Calgary Admissions: Core subject requirements include applicants to have English and Maths are mandatory subjects while completing high school.
- International Baccalaureate students can provide a certificate of completion of a diploma
- International applicants should meet the minimum test scores in IELTS, TOEFL or other tests specified by the university to demonstrate proficiency in the English language
- The admission eligibility is also subject to high academic standing with a strong background in mathematics. However, a background in statistics or business will be an added advantage
English Language Proficiency for International Students
The enlisted table illustrates the university-specific minimum test score requirements in the English language for international students to secure admission to the program.
|University of Brock||6.5||88||CAEL: 70|
|University of Toronto||6.5||iBT:100||CAE:180|
|University of British Columbia||6.5||iBT:90||PTE:65|
|University of Waterloo||6.5||iBT:90||CAEL:70|
|University of Calgary||6.5||iBT:86|
|Queen’s University at Kingston||6.5||iBT:88|
|University of Ottawa||6.5||iBT:86||CAEL:70|
Bachelor of Accounting in Canada: Documents Required
International applicants should submit the following documents electronically before the document deadlines or along with the application including the payment of the application fee.
- Official transcripts of all secondary and post-secondary studies attempted along with grades and scores
- Notarized translations of all transcripts other than English/French
- Passport, citizenship documents and other official ID are mandatory submissions post the admission offer.
- Financial affidavit as proof of funding to afford your studies abroad.
- Applicants with experience should submit their resume and their current statement of employment.
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Additionally, you may need to present specific subject prerequisites, personal profile or statement of interest if required.
Bachelor of Accounting in Canada: Cost of Study
International students incur a pre-arrival cost, tuition fee, and post-arrival costs while planning for a Bachelor of Accounting degree in Canada.
The major one-time pre-arrival expenses incurred by international students include the following:
|Visa Application Fee||150|
Bachelor of Accounting in Canada: Tuition Fee
The following graph compares the full-time tuition fee(approx) of the universities offering bachelor's accounting in Canada. Hence, the graph indicates that the cost involved in studying the program at top universities like U of T, UBC is comparatively higher than others.
The expenses are an overall cost of living in Canada. These include the cost of accommodation, food, local transportation and others which varies from city to city. However, the housing costs include 25% of your study in the Canada budget. The costs involved in various housing types in Canada are tabulated below:
|Housing Type||Cost (CAD)|
Bachelors of Accounting in Canada: Scholarships
International aspirants registered full-time in an undergraduate degree program with high academics are eligible for university specified international scholarship. The details of university specific scholarships are tabulated below:
|Brock University||Brock Scholars Award||Amount varies as per admission average grades|
|University of Toronto||International Scholar Award|
U of T Mississauga Entrance Scholarship
|45,000 CAD for 4 years|
3000 CAD for 4 years
|University of British Columbia||International Major Entrance Scholarship|
Outstanding international student award
|Variable scholarship offered|
In the first year and renewable for 3 years
|McMaster University||Provost Entrance Scholarship for International Students|
WOO family International Entrance Scholarship
|Up to 7500 CAD|
|University of Waterloo||International Student Entrance Scholarship||10,000 CAD/student for 20 students|
|University of Calgary||International Entrance Award|
International Entrance Scholarship
Award for International Student-Athletes
15,000 CAD (renewable)
Up to 10,000 CAD waiver of tuition & fees
|Queen’s University at Kingston||Principal’s Scholarship|
Queen’s University International Admission Scholarship
|Dalhousie University||CorpFinance International Limited (Kevin Andrews) Indian Scholarship||15,000 CAD for Indian BCom students|
|University of Ottawa||President’s Scholarship for International Students|
Challenger’s Scholarship for International Students
|7,500 CAD/year for 4 years|
6,500 CAD/year for 4 years
For details on scholarships for studying in Canada, click here.
Bachelor of Accounting in Canada: Scope
Undergraduates of accounting degrees can pursue a master's degree/professional accountant status or work in entry-level positions as accountants.
Postgraduate Study Options
A master’s degree or its equivalent is required for more lucrative accounting careers in Canada and other parts of the world. Pursuing higher studies enhance the growth prospects to broaden the spectrum of career opportunities for students. The postgraduate study options with the leading universities and global business schools are as follows:
- Master of Accounting
- Master of Commerce
- Master of Finance: You can also study Masters in Finance in Canada or any other foreign country
- Master of Business Administration: Planning your MBA from Canada, or other countries like USA is an easy task post completion of Bachelors of accounting
- Master of International Business
Note: Accounting graduates can also pursue Graduate Diploma (GDip) programs and other short-term programs from Canadain diverse specializations of accounting offered by leading universities apart from the master’s degree.
Bachelor of Accounting in Canada: Job Prospects
A career in Accounting involves the preparation and review of financial records to ensure accuracy and payment of tax obligations on time. Hence, they are recruited by an outstanding network of employers in Canada and around the world. The major areas of employment for accounting professionals in Canada include the following.:
- Accounting Firms
- Banks and Financial Institutions
- Insurance Companies
- Educational Institutions
- Federal, Provincial and Municipal Governments
- Organizations in a wide range of industries in virtually every sector of the economy
Some of the popular recruiting agencies include: TVOntario, Ernst & Young, Deloitte, AME Learning, Lafarge North America, etc.
The following graph details the lucrative positions for accounting professionals in comparison with entry-level and high-level salaries.
For a rewarding career in accounting, ambitious students can pursue a Chartered Professional Accountant followed by a BCom degree with a specialization in accounts. The enlisted table details the average annual salary of top designations for accounting professionals in Canada:
|Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)||66,165|
|Certified Management Accountant(CMA)||84,000|
|Certified General Accountants(CGA)||61,928|
|Certified Information Systems Auditor(CISA)||92,000|
|Certified Credit Professional(CCP)||61,000|
|Certified Payroll Manager(CPM)||78,000|
|Payroll Compliance Practitioner(PCP)||53,000|
Based on the recent salaries and reports, the Accounting and Finance salaries will have a rise of 3% in 2020 than those of 2019. Hence the trend forecasts a slow and steady increase in salaries in 2021 and the future years. By 2022, there will be around 19,400 job openings for accounting professionals. These trends suggest that pursuing a bachelors of accounting from Canada will bring a high ROI and open many doors for students who wish to pursue their studies further.