Master of Arts [M.A] (Economics)
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- Masters in Economics at the University of Victoria is offered as a 24-month program.
- The University of Victoria also ranked 2nd in Maclean’s top Canadian Comprehensive Universities 2019.
- University provides a flexible MA program can be completed in a minimum of 12 months (without co-op).
- Some of the main courses that students go through in this program are:
- Macroeconomic Analysis
- Public Finance and Fiscal Policy
- Advanced Topics in Labour Economics
- Advanced Topics in Econometrics
- The Econometrics of Cross-Section Data
- It’s a way of thinking and a set of powerful quantitative and analytic tools that help students understand the impact of the decisions made every day.
- Department of Economics focuses on essential issues like poverty, climate change, housing markets, financial crises, immigration, health care, and much more.
- Faculty are exploring topics such as doping in sports, ticket sales and resale markets, and the intergenerational impacts of residential schools.
- University provides financial assistance assessed automatically for each applicant.
- This program’s Co-op option offers paid employment experience in government and industry.
- Co-op Students alternate their academic studies with paid, relevant work experience in the field of study.
- Students can enrich their academic studies by drawing on practical, real-world experience from the work terms.
- this is one of the department which has 33 regular faculty members including three Canada Research Chairs.
- This department has over 100 graduate students and the Male to female ratio is 57:43.
- Students may have job opportunities as a
- Data Analyst
- Economist, etc with an average salary of 41,772 USD per year.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 9746 for 2 years|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||September (Deadline - Feb 1)|
|Admission Intake||January (Deadline - June 1)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent from a recognized institution
- The degree must be with at least a "B" (5.0) average in the last two years (or the equivalent of 30 UVic units) leading to the degree.
- Submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, indicating any graded coursework completed and any degrees awarded and the date they were conferred.
- Be sufficiently well prepared in mathematics and statistics as well as written and verbal communication.
Work Experience Eligibility:
- Applicants with 3-year degrees may be considered for admission with one year of work experience.
- Students do not require any kind of work experience for this program.
- Students without related academic experience or work experience students should have also encouraged to apply, given they have following requirement:
- An overall average of at least 70% is required in any BA program.
Indian Student Eligibility:
Indian students are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Completed of both a Bachelor’s (3 years) degree and a Master’s degree.
The above requirements are the minimum requirements and do not guarantee admission. The admissions committee will consider all evidence in the file and decide. To know more about the requirem….Read More
Required Document List
Following Documents are required to attend this program:
- Statement of Purpose: An essay or other written statement written by the student.
- Resume/CV: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work and/or volunteer experience.
- Academic Documents: Submit copies of official transcripts from post-secondary institutions attended.
- Sample of written work: Students has to write something interesting as their sample essay in the application form.
- Statement of Interest: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
- Proof that students have enough money to support themselves during their stay in Canada.
- Letters of reference or any other documents the visa office tell students to bring.
|September||Feb 1, 2021|
|January||Jun 1, 2021|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Room And Board||$ 13323|
Times Higher Education 2021
Ranked #301 / 601
Economics [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Victoria University Future Leaders Scholarship||Variable||Yes||N/A|
|JN Tata Endowment Scholarship||Variable||Yes||Mar 15, 2021|
|Debesh Kamal Scholarship||$ 1385||Yes||Apr 30, 2020|
|GyanDhan Scholarship||$ 78443||Yes||Aug 31, 2021|
|Program||Delivery Type||Duration||Program Type||Offered By||Tution Fees|
|Economics||full time||2 years||on-campus, Course Based||Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Victoria||$3540|
VISA & Work Study
- International Students will need to apply for a valid Student VISA before entering Canada.
- A Student VISA is an immigration document that allows students to live and study in Canada.
- They must have a Student VISA to enroll in any degree, program or course that takes more than 6 months to complete.
- Whether students also need an Entry Visa depends on their country of citizenship.
- The Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa) is a stamp placed on their passport that allows them to enter Canada.
- In most cases, students Entry Visa will have the same expiry date as their Student VISA.
- A Student VISA is usually valid for the length of the student’s study program, plus an extra 90 days.
- The cost of the Student VISA is 112 USD.
- The students need these documents to apply for a Student VISA:
- Proof of acceptance i.e The offer letter that the student received from the university.
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support i.e Documents showing the financial status.
- Both full-time and part-time students can avail of Work while studying in Canada options.
- A student can be hired for only one Work-Study position. Students can find and apply for jobs on Career Exploration and Education website.
- Student eligibility for the Work-Study Program is based upon students meeting this criterion:
- Have proof of a government student aid package of at least 1500 USD
- Be registered at the University of Victoria as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in both terms.
- Have achieved a satisfactory academic standing with a minimum 2.0 institutional grade point average in their previous academic session
- The Work-Study Program gives the student a chance to work On-campus if the student is a full-time student:
- Work Part-time during the academic year to earn around 2250 USD
- Work Full time during the summer months to earn close to 4500 USD
Career and Placement after Course
- Financial risk analyst
- Data analyst
- Financial planner
- Economic researcher
- Financial consultant
- Investment analyst