Master of Science [M.Sc] (Psychology)
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- Masters in Psychology at the University of Victoria is offered as a 24-month program.
- The University of Victoria also ranked 2nd in Maclean’s top Canadian Comprehensive Universities 2019.
- In this program, there are five training areas at the MSc levels. they are:
- Cognition and brain science (including an accelerated option)
- Lifespan health and development
- Social psychology
- Clinical psychology (specializing in lifespan development or neuropsychology)
- Individualized programs
- With more than 50 labs and a community-based Psychology Clinic, students will find a home for their ideas and their questions.
- University provides financial assistance assessed automatically for each applicant.
- Its Co-op option offers paid employment experience in government and industry.
- Co-op Students alternate their academic studies with paid, relevant work experience in the field of study.
- Students can enrich their academic studies by drawing on practical, real-world experiences from the work terms.
- The department of Psychology includes 23 regular faculty members including three Canada Research Chairs.
- This department has over 100 graduate students and the Male to female ratio is 47:53.
- Students may have job opportunities after graduation like:
- Health Psychologist,
- Counselor, etc with an average salary of 41,772 USD per year.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 22896 for 2 years|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||September (Deadline - June 1)|
|Admission Intake||January (Deadline - Oct 1)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Applicants are required to have completed a BA or BSc with a concentration in psychology
- Successful applicants normally have an upper second or first-class average (3.5 on a 4-point scale or a minimum B+) in their recent academic work, with a specialization in psychology.
- Students with Honour’s degree or equivalent research experience are preferred.
- Students applying to the clinical program will be required to attend an interview with clinical faculty prior to being accepted for admission.
Work Experience Eligibility:
- Applicants with 3-year degrees may be considered for admission with one year of work experience.
- Students do not require any kind of work experience for this program.
- Students without related academic experience or work experience students should have also encouraged to apply, given they have the following requirement:
- An overall average of at least 70% is required in the UG program.
Indian Student Eligibility:
Indian students are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Completed both a Bachelor’s (3 years) degree and a Master’s degree.
- Or, minimum requirement overall i.e First-class division(75% or above, Distinction or Outstanding).
Required Document List
Following Documents are required to attend this program:
- Statement of Purpose: An essay or other written statement written by the student.
- Resume/CV: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work, and/or volunteer experience.
- Academic Documents: Submit copies of official transcripts from post-secondary institutions attended.
- Sample of written work: Students have to write something interesting as their sample essay in the application form.
- Statement of Interest: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics, and that references should submit along with the application system.
- Proof that students have enough money to support themselves during their stay in Canada.
- Letters of reference or any other documents the visa office tell students to bring.
|September||Jun 1, 2021|
|January||Oct 1, 2021|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Room And Board||$ 13323|
Times Higher Education 2021
Ranked #101 / 501
Psychology [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Victoria University Future Leaders Scholarship||Variable||Yes||N/A|
|Saryu Doshi Graduate Fellowships in Liberal Arts & Sciences||$ 4078||Yes||N/A|
|Axol Science Scholarship||$ 2000||Yes||Jul 1, 2020|
|Aga khan Foundation Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Mar 31, 2021|
VISA & Work Study
- International Students will need to apply for a valid Student VISA before entering Canada.
- A Student VISA is an immigration document that allows students to live and study in Canada.
- They must have a Student VISA to enroll in any degree, program, or course that takes more than 6 months to complete.
- Whether students also need an Entry Visa depends on their country of citizenship.
- The Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa) is a stamp placed on their passport that allows them to enter Canada.
- In most cases, students Entry Visa will have the same expiry date as their Student VISA.
- A Student VISA is usually valid for the length of the student’s study program, plus an extra 90 days.
- The cost of the Student VISA is 112 USD.
- The students need these documents to apply for a Student VISA:
- Proof of acceptance i.e The offer letter that the student received from the university.
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support i.e Documents showing the financial status.
- Both full-time and part-time students can avail themselves of Work while studying in Canada options.
- A student can be hired for only one Work-Study position. Students can find and apply for jobs on Career Exploration and Education website.
- Student eligibility for the Work-Study Program is based upon students meeting this criterion:
- Have proof of a government student aid package of at least 1500 USD
- Be registered at the University of Victoria as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in both terms.
- Have achieved a satisfactory academic standing with a minimum 2.0 institutional grade point average in their previous academic session
- The Work-Study Program gives the student a chance to work On-campus if the student is a full-time student:
- Work Part-time during the academic year to earn around 2250 USD
- Work Full time during the summer months to earn close to 4500 USD
Career and Placement after Course
- Clinical Psychology
- Counseling Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Teaching and Research
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Sports Psychology
- Agency/Community Counseling
- Educational Psychology