Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Biotechnology)
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology at York University is offered as a 3-year teaching program.
- This BSc program in Biotechnology is offered by the Faculty of Science on both a full-time and part-time basis.
- York’s Biotechnology program prepares students for a career in this exciting, steadily growing field.
- This BSc program teaches not only the underlying science but also exposes students to relevant social, legal, ethical, and business issues.
- In this four-year honors Biotechnology program, students will study courses related to
- Molecular and cell biology
- Fourth-year students complete an intensive thesis course that provides the first-hand experience in independent research and laboratory techniques.
- This Biotechnology program at York University has been designed to provide a well-coordinated synthesis of carefully selected courses in molecular and cell biology, genetics, and biochemistry with others in computer science, economics, business, and ethics.
- This BSc Biotechnology program combines the required technical and conceptual scientific rigor necessary for mastery of the discipline with a fundamental education relevant to the socio-economic aspects of biotechnology.
- Students frequently compete in the Sanofi-Pasteur Healthcare and Biotechnology Venture Challenge.
- This is a unique opportunity at York University for Biotechnology and Schulich MBA(offered by Schulich School of Business) students to create business plans to get products out of the lab and on to the market.
- Teams comprised of York’s Biotechnology and Schulich MBA students were awarded over $10,000 in prizes.
- Students after graduating from this BSc program in Biotechnology at York University have many job opportunities as follows:
- Biomanufacturing scientist,
- Regulatory affairs officer,
- Agricultural product researcher, etc., with an average salary of around 40,000 USD per year.
|Degree Type Offered||Bachelor|
|Fees||$ 83070 for 3 years|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||summer (Deadline - Feb 15)|
|Admission Intake||fall (Deadline - June 15)|
|Admission Intake||winter (Deadline - Oct 15)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Students must complete an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) degree.
- Students must have to complete the following course such as:
- English (ENG4U)
- Advanced Functions (MHF4U)
- Biology (SBI4U)
- Chemistry (SCH4U)
- And two additional 4U or M courses - recommendation(s) below:
To gain admission to this program, the student’s academic average should be in the low-to-mid 80s.
Indian Student Eligibility
Indian students are eligible to apply for this BSc Program in Biotechnology if they have any one of the following certificates:
- All-India Senior School Certificate (AISSCE)
- Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC)
- Indian School Certificate (ISC)
- Intermediate Examination Certificate
- Pre-University Examination Certificate
The above requirements are the minimum requirements and do not guarantee admission. The admissions committee will consider all evidence in the file and decide. To know more about the requirem….Read More
Required Document List
Following Documents are required to attend this program:
- Statement of Purpose: An essay or other written statement written by the student.
- Resume/CV: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work, and/or volunteer experience.
- Academic Documents: Submit copies of official transcripts from post-secondary institutions attended.
- Sample of written work: Student has to write something interesting as their sample essay in the application form.
- Statement of Interest: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
- Proof that students have enough money to support themselves during their stay in Canada.
- Letters of reference or any other documents the visa office tell students to bring.
|summer||Feb 15, 2021|
|fall||Jun 15, 2021|
|winter||Oct 15, 2021|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Go Clean Scholarship||$ 3500||Yes||Dec 31, 2020|
|(ISC)² Women’s Cybersecurity Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Feb 19, 2021|
|Collegedunia $150 Scholarship Program||$ 150||Yes||N/A|
|Jared J. Davis Grant||$ 1000||Yes||N/A|
VISA & Work Study
- A Student VISA authorizes students to study in Canada legally.
- International students will receive their Study Permits in the form of a paper document which will usually be attached to the passport at the Canadian port of entry.
- Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs), commonly called Entry Visas, are to be obtained by foreign nationals who require visas to enter Canada, while Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) allows foreign nationals from visa-exempted countries to enter Canada without a visa.
- The student must have a valid study permit for the period of employment.
- He/She should meet the specific skills and experience requirements set by the sponsoring department.
- All students are permitted to accept one Work-Study position only per program period.
- Non-degree students (i.e. visiting students, students on a LOP) are not eligible for Work-Study.
- Students are not eligible to hold a work-study position in the same term in which they are holding an NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award (or equivalent).
- Hourly rates vary with the nature of the job, the scope of responsibilities and work experience.
- The salary range will be indicated on the job posting and/or students will be advised by the employer during the interview.
- Work/study students are paid by their hiring department through York's payroll system.
- Student Financial Services does not pay students and cannot make adjustments to pay.
Career and Placement after Course
Possible career opportunities are:
- Biomanufacturing Scientist
- Regulatory Affairs Officer
- Agricultural Product Researcher
Biotechnology is a very underrated and unexplored line of work in Canada and has one of the best programs in Biotechnology. It is uncommon to see Indian students choose biotechnology but a good chunk of them end up in York and that is mainly cause of the name the uni and program has had all over the country. It's also competitive in keeping their prices for each course or each semester i.e better money saving at York
Course Curriculum :
The course is almost identical to a normal biology program i.e multiple courses in physics, chemistry, biology and where it differs is with the application of basic computer application, economics both micro and macro and I feel kicking the economics part out of the program makes the program more relevant and everything else does fit with the program description and the course can be completed in 3 years if taken in full load.