Cegep de Chicoutimi: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Cegep de Chicoutimi is post-secondary education or pre-university institution located in Quebec, Canada. Quebec is regarded as one of the best cities for international students in Canada which provides tons of entertainment and recreational options for the aspirants. The hospitality of its people, safe environment, and affordable housing make it an ideal environment for international students willing to study in Canada.
Founded in 1967 through the CEGEP network, it was the first CEGEP in Quebec to obtain its letters patent. CEGEP stands for the College of General and Professional Education, it is regarded as the first level of higher education, followed by university.
This institution offers educational training, vocational education, and technical knowledge through state-recognized diploma programs. With a population of up to 3,000 students and employees ranking up to 600, the school is poised to achieve excellence in its service delivery. The institution receives repeated approvals from the Canadian government in forms of funds through the Canadian International Development Agency's Skills for Employment Initiative, Quebec's Ministry of Economic Development, Innovation and Export Trade, Industry Canada, amongst others.
Cegep de Chicoutimi, Canada is ranked
- 48th in the list of best College of Higher Education in Canada by Webometrics in 2020
- 13172nd the list of best College of Higher Education in the world by Webometrics in 2020
- 10156th in the list of the best college of general and vocational education globally by Unipage in 2020
- 196th in the list of the best college of general and vocational education in Canada by Unipage in 2020
|Type of Institute||Public|
|A total number of Students||3000 Approx.|
|The International student’s tuition fee for Pre-university program||CAD 6059 per semester|
|The international student’s tuition fee for Technical program||CAD 7845 per semester|
|Test Scores Accepted||Proof of French Language Proficiency|
- LEED-certified CGQ buildings that were built in 2011 which includes offices, laboratories, conference rooms, amongst others
- The institution has a student population of 3,000 and a staff population of 600.
- The school campus is made of buildings categorized into ten wings such as Wing A, Wing B, Wing C, Wing D, Wing L, Wing T, Wing E, Wing G, Wing F, and Wing H.
- The residence halls are located at the Wing L which is the Lemieux residence building and Wing T is the Tremblay residence building
- Wing B is used to house the library, IT support services, the English department, and the French writing center and the French and English language departments.
- Wings C, E, F, and H are used for classrooms, laboratories, multipurpose halls, auditoriums, gallery halls, and student services buildings
- Buildings in Wing H is also used for athletic purposes and general student life
- Students at Cegep de Chicoutimi participate in a lot of student engagements and socio-community services in seven ways which include social and community, politics, scientific, sportsman, school work volunteer, entrepreneurial, and cultural and artistic.
- The school's student sports teams participate in eight different games and leagues.
- There are two residence halls in Wings T and L called Tremblay residence building and Lemieux residence building respectively. The residence halls make up a total of 185 rooms.
- Rooms in Tremblay and Lemieux Pavilions are available as small rooms, large rooms, and studio-styled.
- Room features include a single bed, closet, working table, a sink, chair, cabinets, and tiled floor.
- Amenities available include cable TV, internet, common areas, box office, laundry,
- In the school residences, students will have to provide themselves with things such as bedding, refrigerator, toaster oven, dishes, microwave, and personal effects.
- The institution provides off-campus accommodation details for students who have to live off-campus through its directory of rooms and accommodation off-campus.
- Cegep de Chicoutimi offers programs as pre-university, technical, and DEC (DEC is a college-level diploma in Quebec).
- Cegep de Chicoutimi is the only public CEGEP institution in Quebec to offer an aviation program recognized by the Ministry of Education, Recreation and Sports in Canada
- There are five pre-university programs, one double DEC/pre-university program, one DEC springboard/pre-university program, and 17 technical programs offered at Cegep de Chicoutimi.
- Programs at Cegep de Chicoutimi run for a period of nine months to three and a half years.
International students seeking admissions at this institute can follow the below-mentioned admission details:
- Application portal: SRASL admission portal
- Application fee: 85 CAD
- Supporting requirements (To be admitted, at least one of these criteria must be met)
- Submit a certificate of training that the Cégep considers as an equivalent
- Submit a high school diploma (DES)
- Submit a professional studies diploma (DEP) and have completed the following courses: Secondary 5 language of instruction; Secondary V second language; and Secondary IV mathematics
- More so, the Cégep may conditionally admit an applicant who missed six units or less to obtain a high school diploma. However, such students will then have to pass these missing units during the first session of college.
- Birth certificate
- Post-secondary Transcripts
- Recent diplomas or degrees
- Proof of French Language proficiency
French Language test requirements
|TFI (French Test international)||750 points out of a possibility of 990 points.|
|General TCF (French knowledge test)||499 points out of a possibility of 699 points.|
|TEF (French Assessment Test)||400 points out of a possibility of 699, or 698 in the old notation.|
|BRIGHT (Bright language)||The result required from the two tests: 3.7
Listening comprehension: 3.0; Written comprehension: 3.0
|DELF B2 (Dome lome of studies in the French language)||50 minimum points out of a possible 100 points including a minimum of 10/25 for each of written comprehension, written production, oral comprehension, and oral production.|
|DALF C1/DALF C2 (Advanced French language diploma)||Level C1 or C2.|
Language test exemptions are for:
- Applicants who have studied in a French lycée recognized abroad and approved
- Applicants who have studied at a French-speaking institution in Canada. Such applicants may still have undergone the test of French language if their academic results in the discipline of French at a level comparable to the equivalent of a Secondary V in Quebec are not enough.
- Applicants who studied in France or Belgium. Such applicants may still have undergone the test of French language if their academic results in the discipline of French at a level comparable to the equivalent of a Secondary V in Quebec are not enough.
- Receive the Offer Letter or Letter of Acceptance and then prepare a proof of identity (valid passport and two recent passport photographs), proof of financial support and letter of explanation
- Apply for a study permit with the documents above
- Collection of a valid visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) after study permit is granted.
- Moreover, detailed information for processing a study permit will be included in the applicant's offer of the admission package.
Cost of Attendance
For international candidates aspiring to study at the university, it is mandatory to have an estimate of the cost of living in Canada to survive comfortably in a foreign land. The list of basic expenses to be considered for applying for admission at the institute is as detailed below.
|Fee||Amount per annum (CAD)|
- Each year, there is a scholarship of ten free one-year residences for students from outside the region
- An Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Students in Technical Training scholarship holder is eligible for protection from the Régie l'assurance-maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
- Financial aids that international students at Cegep de Chicoutimi qualify for are scholarships, grants, student jobs, and external aids
- Examples of financial aids available to international students include:
- Tuition fee Exemption Program for Foreign Students: International students from countries where rights of enrolling in a full-time program leading to a technical DEC apply are eligible to be tuition fee exempted at Cegep de Chicoutimi
- Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Students in Technical Training: With an amount of 15,000 CAD per year for a maximum of three years, these scholarships go out to qualified international students as determined by Cegep de Chicoutimi
- Canadian Bureau for International Education scholarships: This organization offers varying scholarships such as Excellence Awards to deserving international students
- Irving K. Barber Premier's International Scholarship: With a worth of 6,000 CAD to 10,000 CAD, this is an external scholarship that needs a separate application.
Alumni benefits include:
- Career services
- Transcripts services
- Networking events
- Alumni collaboration
- Cegep de Chicoutimi has a 100% job placement rate
- Popular employers at include CGI, ciussu, Rio Tinto, Telenet, Bagotville base, The Web Shop, CGQ, eLogic, etc
- The average salary of Forest Technology graduates in 2019 per hour was 21.75 CAD
- The higher salary for Architectural Technology graduates in 2019 was 30.00 CAD per hour
The campus and neighboring region are also filled with industries and public services providing opportunities for apprenticeships or work-while-study. Graduates here are guaranteed with 100% placement over recent years.
FIND A PROGRAM
After high school, I was looking for a diploma course outside India. I was well-versed in French so applied to this college. It has a 100% placement rate. I paid my application fee of $65 and applied online. I also required to Quebec Acceptance Certificate before applying. It offers 20 different programs.
Course Curriculum :
My program has exclusive courses in French and Philosophy. We are taught about the evolution of four main periods of history. They are: Antiquity, the Middle Ages, the Modern Period, and the Contemporary Period. We also have thematic dinners and educational dinners. The courses often cross-over or merge with other departments.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary