Cegep de Saint (Hyacinthe): Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The college Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe is a CEGEP (College of General and Vocational Education). It was established in the year 1968 by the collaboration of five pre-existing institutions. The college moved to its present location in 1975 and regained its autonomy in 1980. From 1980, the college strengthened its foundation and this led to the formation of two specialized centers: CTT group (in textile) and Cintech agroalimentaire (in agroalimentary).
The Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe enrolls more than 4,500 students in regular education and nearly as many in adult education every year. The college offers 5 pre-university programs in seven profiles and 18 technical programs, 12 of which alternate work-study basis. This college has a training and advisory center for companies, known as Synor. It is known for it’s “lifetime placement service” offered to all of its technical graduates and for the international internship programs it offers.
- Pre-University Programs last for 2 years (four semesters), preparing the students to pursue university-level studies. Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe offers these in fields like- Pure & Applied Sciences, Humanities, Literature, Visual and Media Arts as well as Cinema.
- Technical Diploma Programs are for three years (six semesters) and they prepare the students to enter the labor market directly in fields like- Nursing, Civil Engineering Technology, Business Management, and even Theatre Performance.
- Adult Training also known as Continuing Education provides full-time and part-time training programs.
- The benefits of these work-study alternation programs are that the students gain practical work experience related to one’s field of study and that they make themselves known by potential future employers.
Why choose CEGEP de Saint-Hyacinthe?
- Ranked 206th in Canada & 12329th in World: Webometrics, 2020
- The college has two centers for technology transfer – agri-food and textile.
- Runs partnership with College Technology Transfer Center and CTT Group
- Offers 12 work-study programs and international internship programs
- Dedicated training and business advisory center: Synor
- Offers lifetime placement service to all its graduates
Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe Campus
- The college campus is located close to Highway 20
- Its the distance from the Montreal Airport (YUL) is 73.9 km
- It has 2 college centers for food and textile and they are used for technology transfer.
- Its library has 12 computer stations for documentary research, 48 laptops equipped with Office suite software, 5 freely accessible team workrooms, Wireless internet access, AV service, etc.
- There are over 9 activity clubs and 4 committees. Students can be a part of its activity clubs like the Environmental club, Music club, Photo club, Political club, Anim-Hyacinthe Club, etc of this college.
- The official football team of this college is known as “The Laureates” and it is represented in various intercollegiate activities
- The main student’s organization of this college is RÉÉCSH and it is a non-profit organization where only students can be members.
Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe Residence
- The college doesn’t provide accommodation for the students studying here
- There are many well-furnished private rooms, apartments, and villas available for rent near the institution.
- Many studio rentals are also available near the college.
- Some rooms and apartments are available for rent in Griffintown as well.
- Registered students can check the portal of the college’s official website for referring to a list of accommodations which is updated twice a year
- For more information, students can contact the college office by calling in the following numbers: 450 773-6800 or 514 875-4445
Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe Programs
- This college offers 9 pre-university programs like Natural Sciences, Social Science, Science letters arts, etc. which prepares students for pursuing university courses.
- The college also offers 18 technical programs like Dietetics technique, Medical care, Civil Engineering, Accounting, Business management, etc. These courses prepare their students for direct access to the job market.
- The college provides a special program for students who do not wish or cannot apply for a regular college program. This program is known as “Tremplin DEC” which provides adaptive training to meet the needs of their students while completing a program that leads to the Diploma of college studies (DEC).
- 27 “Adult education” training is provided by this college. These trainings include Human Resources, Cyber survey, Accounting, Cloud computing, Technical support in computer networks, etc.
- “Work-study Alternation” programs are offered for 11 courses like Biotechnology, Accounting, and Management, IT, Civil Engineering, Business Management, etc. From the first year of their CED, students are allowed to take part in paid summer internships in their field of study. This helps the students acquire work experiences, clarify their career choice, and apply the theoretical knowledge learned in class.
- The “SYNOR Business Services” offer advisory services and training activities to individuals, companies and organizations
- Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe College offers assistance services (SAIDE) for students with disabilities. To access these services the students need to apply online via a registration form provided in the official college website
- For the Winter session of 2020, the college will be offering distance education due to the Corona pandemic.
Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe Application Process
Admission to this highly coveted higher education institute of Canada is available to both, domestic and international students.
- Application portal: The Regional Admission Service of Metropolitan Montreal (SRAM) website.
- Application fee: $30
- Application deadline: 1st March (for the Fall semester) and 1st November for the Winter semester
- Supporting documents:
- Transcripts for the last 3 years of secondary school
- Diplomas (if graduated)
- Comparative evaluation for studies done outside Québec issued by the ministère de l’Immigration du Québec (MICC or MIDI or MIFI). If the applicant has not already got this evaluation done, he/she can select the option on the online application form to have SRAM produce one. Note that SRAM’s evaluation can only be used for cégep applications and the applicant needs to pay a fee of $50 extra.
- Proof of French Language test
- Copy of passport
Documents can be attached with the online application form or they can be sent to the following address:-
Montréal (Québec) H2S 2E9
- Admission Requirements:
- The applicant needs to hold a Secondary School Diploma and the following courses need to be completed by them:-
- Secondary 5 Language of Instruction
- Secondary 5 Second Language
- Secondary 4 Mathematics
- Secondary 4 Science and Technology / Applied Science and Technology /Physical Science
- Secondary 4 History and Citizenship Education / History of Quebec and Canada
- The applicant is required to hold a Secondary School Vocational Diploma (SSVD) and the following courses need to be completed:-
- Secondary 5 Language of Instruction
- Secondary 5 Second Language
- Secondary 4 Mathematics
Cost of Attendance
For international candidates aspiring to study at the university, it is mandatory to have an estimate of the cost of living in Canada to survive comfortably in a foreign land. The estimated cost of attendance for the factors such as tuition fees, living expenses, transportation, food, student association fee, etc. is mentioned below:-
|Tuition fee (international students)||$ 6,000 and $ 9,300/ quarter|
(Depending on the program)
(Personal expenses, Transportation and meals - if an applicant lives with parents)
|Living expenses (Housing, Personal expenses, Transportation and meals)||$828/month|
|Other fees related to educational services||$25|
|Student association fee||$20|
|Digital student card||$2|
|Contribution to the Foundation CEGEP||$12|
Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe Financial Aid
- Loans and Bursaries Program of the Ministry of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (MESRST) provides Financial Aid for the students studying in Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe College.
- Financial aids in Canada that international students qualify for are scholarships, grants, student jobs, and external aid options.
- The Financial Aid service of this college provides the necessary information required to their students who are interested in benefitting from this program of MESRST.
- The Financial Aid service helps the students:-
- Make a link between the applicant’s financial assistance file and MESRST
- Informs applicants about the status of the pre-existing file
- Tracks the request for financial assistance
- Make planning of their budget easier by providing access to a working tool
- This service also offers a payday fund to those students who are unable to continue their studies due to a lack of funds (only applicable under specific conditions).
- Scholarships are provided with the support of the Cégep foundation, student association, and other partners.
- A student will only be eligible for financial assistance if:-
- He/she is registered part-time or full time in a continuing or regular training at Cégep
- He/she is open to studying his/her personal budget
- He/she agreed to promote personal support for financial independence
Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe Alumni
The alumni of this college have access to various facilities of this college like:
- Library services
- Media centers
- Choice hotels
- Christine Beaulieu – Canadian actress and playwright
- Pierre Lapointe – Canadian singer and songwriter
- Sylvie Léonard – French Canadian actress
- Pierre Arcand – politician, businessman, announcer, journalist
- Marc-Amable Girard – Second Premier of the Western Canadian province of Manitoba
- Jean-Pierre Paquin – Canadian importer and politician from Quebec
Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe Placements
- Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe College is known for the lifetime placement services it offers to its students and graduates
- This college has a 97% placement rate.
- Conditions under which this service is offered to the students:-
- The student has to enroll full time in an eligible technical program
- The student needs to make to job training after the 1st and 2nd grade
- This service provides assistance in
- Receiving job offers pertaining to the field of study of the students via email
- Updating the student’s CV
- Preparing the student for a job interview
- During various job fairs the service prepares students to meet employers at Cégep
- During HR workshops and conferences, this service helps the students develop professional skills organized by the placement service