Cegep Vanier College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Vanier College is a publicly funded third-largest English-language College in Québec. The college is a reputed higher education institute of Canada that received its name from the honorable General Georges P. Vanier, a Canadian soldier and former Governor-General. The CEGEP system in Canada offers both 2-year pre-university program as well as three-year technical programs. Vanier College is one of 48 public CEGEPs in the province.
Started with 1,400 students, the institute has leaped many miles welcoming numbers over 6,700 full-time Diploma students, and 2,000 students attending through the Continuing Education Department today. The student body represents more than 90 countries worldwide. Some of the popular career programs offered by the institute are Architectural Technology, Business Administration, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Industrial Electronics, Nursing, etc.
Québec as a city is regarded as one of the best cities for international students in Canada which proves that tons of international aspirants are expected to study in Canada. Vanier College is also known for indulging students in many extra-curricular activities like sports, marketing, world knowledge, and traveling, art, photography, film making, and reporting
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part-time; Online|
|The tuition fee per semester for international students.||6119-9486 CAD|
|English Language Proficiency Score||IELTS – 4.5 TOEFL – 80|
|Financial Aid||Available as Scholarships and Financial Needs|
Vanier College Campus and Accommodation
- The college campus spreads across the Borough of Saint-Laurent oasis in the City of Montreal. The Government of Canada purchased this land from the Soeurs de Sainte-Croix.
- The campus consists of 10 different buildings (for post-secondary education), 9 parking spots, 179 teaching areas, 33 resource areas, and 17 amenities and services stores6.
- The famous Vanier College three-floor Library (former chapel area), welcomes Vanier community with hostility to study, research and understand courses through the best work of their disciplines. The library helps students meet this motive through 75,000 books in a variety of disciplines.
- The main campus houses facilities like Campus-wide high-speed Wireless Internet, Music studios, Concert halls, Cafeteria, Student Mall, Synthetic playing field, Swimming Pool, Triple Gym, Art Gallery and Fitness centers.
- Over 300 interdisciplinary research centers, classrooms, laboratories, and programs.
- The Sports Complex has dance studio, 25 meter swimming pool, fitness & weight-training room, 2 raquet-ball courts, a triple gym, and a palestre for sports events.
- Vanier Student Life organizes various social, cultural, and recreational events and activities in order to improve the student experience.
Vanier College Residence
- Students who are seeking rooms or apartments can apply at the off-campus St. Laurent Area.
- The campus consists of 10 different buildings on a single campus.
- The best time to look for accommodation is from the end of July, the busiest period being the middle 2 weeks of August.
- Generally, the monthly rental cost for furnished rooms in private homes ranges from 300.00 to 425.00 CAD.
The cost range of apartments varies between 450.00 and over 850.00 CAD/month depending on number of rooms, and facilities included.
In addition to rental costs, students have to bear such expenses like food, cable, heating, telephone, transportation, and parking.
Vanier College Courses
- Vanier College offers over 7000 programs across 100 academic departments in its 2 campuses.
- With full-time pre-university programs and technical career programs adding to a Diploma of College Studies (DCS) and Attestation of College Studies (ACS) program and credit DCS courses offered by Continuing Education Department, Vanier forms its diverse student body.
- Apart from a variety of credit courses and programs with flexible scheduling, Continuing Education Centre also offers Online Information Sessions. These sessions cater to information about programs, selection process and requirements.
- Popular DCS programs include Liberal Arts, Modern Languages, Health Science, Computer Science and Mathematics, Animal Health Technology, Business Administration and Nursing.
- Vanier also offers 4 General Studies programs: English, French, Humanities and Physical Education.
- The enrolments in Pre-University, Technological and Attestation and Diploma Programs tallied to 4329, 1981 and 1454 respectively.
- Shawna Lambert received the 2018-2019 Teaching Excellence Award. She was a member of Physical Education Department of Vanier College for more than 25 years13.
- Students can take several college majors in East European and Slavic Studies, Indigenous Studies, Sustainability, and Women’s and Gender Studies.
- The Vanier Language School offers non-credit courses such as Academic Writing Skills, Full-time Intensive English for Academic Purposes, and Academic Writings for Teens to improve students’ language skills.
- The Language School also offers non-credit language courses in Japanese, Italian, Mandarin, and Spanish.
Vanier College Application Process
Basic Admission Requirements (International Students)
- Grade 12 for USA applicants.
- For Science programs, math and science must be taken in Grades 11 and 12.
- Submit detailed course descriptions to get assessed to conclude whether the course content is comparable to that taught in Quebec high schools or not.
- Applicants from outside Canada whose mother tongue and language of instruction is not English- submit recent results of TOEFL.
- Minimum acceptable score- 80 Internet-based/ 213 computer-based/ 550 paper-based.
- If the paper-based test is done, then the Test of Written English (T.W.E.) is also recommended. A minimum score of 4.5 is expected.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) results are also accepted with a band score of 6.5 or above.
- Canadian student visa
For Québec Students
- Quebec Secondary School Diploma or the Quebec Diploma of Vocational Education with Secondary 5 first and second languages as well as Secondary 4 Mathematics or equivalent schooling completed outside the province.
- Applicants whose first language or the language of instruction is not English may be required to demonstrate adequate English language proficiency for performance in the English-language background of Vanier College. The Learning Centre staff manages the English language proficiency tests.
How, When and Where to Apply
- Visit the official website of the university at http://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca
- Vanier College is allied with Service Régional d’Admission du Montréal Métropolitain (SRAM), a clearinghouse to process applications.
- Pay CAD 30 (Payable to SRAM), if Canadian student and CAD 85, if the international student
- The fee is non-refundable and can be paid via credit card, money order, or bank draft.
- Students have to submit the documents atService régional d’admission du montréal métropolitain,5701 avenue Christophe-Colomb,Montréal, QC H2S 2E9
- Results will be published on the “Consult My File”, “Status of Application” link on SRAM, approximately 4-5 weeks after the deadline.
- Once the students confirm their acceptance at Vanier College, they will be invited to attend an Information Session at the college.
Winter Session- November 1/ Autumn Session- March 11
Vanier College COVID-19 Admission Updates
- Vanier College has planned no changes to the Academic Calendar. The directive to teachers is to focus on essential learning and make sure that as many courses as possible are completed before May 1, 2020 creating some time at the end of the semester to complete labs and practical components.
- International students are given exemptions to complete up to 50% of their program courses online from their countries.
- Students at Vanier who urgently need to use their locker can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For any queries about the September session admission process contact email@example.com.
- Students should check Library page on college website for a digital copy of any textbook.
- The Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) provides financial support to post-secondary students and recent post-secondary and high school graduates who are unable to find work due to COVID-19.
- For any further COVID-related queries contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vanier College Cost of Attendance
The table below mentions the cost of living in Canada while studying in the University. These are the costs of some of the courses offered by the University.
|Type of Fee||Amount (CAD)|
|Tuition (semester wise)||6119|
|Student Activity Fee||110|
|Total Fees (semester wise)||6314|
|Housing and Rooms (monthly)||212|
|Personal Expenses (monthly)||160|
Scholarships/Financial Aid by Vanier College
- Cegep Vanier College provides financial aid to admitted students who are deserving and have demonstrated financial need.
- Applicants should apply for the scholarships to study in Canada before the deadline dates for each scholarship. The Vanier office do not entertain late applications.
- The types of financial aid available at Vanier include Academic Merit, Entrance Scholarships, External Scholarships, Financial Need, Graduation Scholarships, Work-study options, In-Course Scholarships and Internal Scholarships.
- Vanier offers many scholarships to residents of Quebec. Some of these are listed along with their values:
- B.A.S.F. Jackie Robinson Entrance Scholarships worth 2000.00 CAD
- B.A.S.F. Jackie Robinson Health Sciences or Nursing Scholarship worth 1500.00 CAD
- Parents need Scholarship worth 1000 CAD
- Louer.com Student Assistance Scholarship 2017-2018 worth 500 CAD
- Vanier also provides scholarships in the form of financial needs to international students. Some of these are listed along with their values:
- Vo Van Tho Memorial Scholarship worth two prizes of 500 CAD
- Dorothy Yen – Woman of Science Bursary worth two prizes of 200 CAD
- Liberio Community Involvement BURSARY worth four prizes of 750 CAD
Work While You Study
CEGEP Vanier College has a work-study program in the name of ATE.
- It provides full-time students pursuing technical, professional, or attestation programs, an experience, and training in a relevant work environment.
- Participants complete two paid practicums of 8-12 weeks in their field over the course of their college studies.
- Practicums take place during the summer months following the 1st and 2nd year of the student’s program.
Advantages of the ATE/Work-Study Program
- Validating your program choice
- Enriching the learning process, as theory is applied to practice
- Gaining valuable communication and interpersonal skills while being exposed to the job market
- Enhancing your CV
- Earning income during your studies
Vanier College Placements
- Vanier College helps students grow and discover their skills are and articulate them confidently in resumes, cover letters, interviews, and personal statements
- Over the course of their lives, DCS graduates earn 560,000 CAD more than high school graduates.
- On average, DCS graduates earn 10,000 CAD more a year than high school graduates.
- 94% of graduates from Career programs and 92% of those from Pre-university programs find jobs. Many employers need DCS when hiring their workforce.
- Every year, 50,000 students obtain a DCS. These graduates make up the up-and-coming qualified workforce.
- Between now and 2021, 88,000 new jobs will need to be filled by CEGEP technicians and technologists.
Average Salary and Employment rate of Vanier College Graduates:
|Program||Average Salary||Employment rate|
|Macromedia and Hypermedia||$691 CAD/week||91%|
|Electrical Engineering||$917 CAD/week||99%|
|Environmental and Wildlife Management||$626 CAD/week||N/A|
|Early Childhood Education||$610 CAD/week||94%|
|Computer Engineering||$706 CAD/week||91%|
|Computer Science||$840-$1080 CAD/week||N/A|
Started in 1970, Vanier Colleges celebrates 50th successful year along with its notable alumni. The strong and well-networked alumni community, spread across almost all fields, helps to bring out the best guidance for all students.
Ques. How do I apply to Vanier College?
Ans. Students can apply to Vanier College through SRAM36.
Ques. How can one track application for Vanier College.
Ans. Students can check SRAM37 for the status of their application under 'Status of my Application'.
Ques. Is Vanier College offering new course outlines during COVID?
Ans. Yes, students have received a revised course outline for all courses by April 6. Teachers are using keywords like simplicity, flexibility, and accessibility.
Ques. Does Vanier College offer any financial aid to international applicants?
Ans. Vanier College provides financial based on needs and academic performance of students. These aids are provided in the form of scholarships and financial needs.
Ques. How will the students of class 2020 graduate during COVID lockdown?
Ans. Vanier College expects to complete the academic year on time and aim that students set to complete programs and graduate.
Ques. What are the courses offered by Vanier College?
Ans. The College offers pre-university, career and attestation programs along with general study programs in English, French, Humanities and Physical Education.
Pre-University programs are offered in Commerce,Communication, Computer Science, Liberal Arts, Social SScience.
Career programs are offered in Animal Health, Architecture, Engineering, Business Administration, Computer Science, Nursing and Early Childhood Education etc.
Ques. What is total Enrollment in Vanier College?
Ans. Around 6,700 students are enrolled in diploma program and 2,000 students enrolled in continuing education programs.
Ques. What is the tuition fee for international students in Vanier College?
Ans. International Tuition fee in Vanier is 30.99 CAD/credit hours for full-time programs.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
In order to study in a vibrant and active campus environment that supports it's student initiatives and provides opportunities for leadership training and personal development, I made my mind to join this university for my higher studies. After securing a GPA of 7.8, I was required to submit a common application form worth $30.
Course Curriculum :
The Bachelor of Engineering Science provided me with the necessary scientific knowledge that underpins my engineering discipline, followed by a specialist knowledge of the theory and practice of civil and structural, electrical and electronics, and mechanical engineering.
I decided to opt for it beacuse this college was my chance to explore and pursue a wide array of topics and subjects. I have before me a motley of knowledge and experience. I allowed myself to expand to take in this assortment before me, widely and broadly, and reflect deeply on what I experience. After securing a GPA of 7, I had to submit a common application form.
Course Curriculum :
The Accounting stream provided me with a dynamic and global perspective on the use and reporting of financial information by both external users and internal users (e.g., managers). Accounting provides the foundation on which profitability, sustainability, strategic focus and implementation, wealth, and share prices are determined.
In the 9th grade, I talked to my favourite English teacher and asked for his advice on where to go. He told me the 2 colleges he went to, and I looked into them. Vanier seemed perfect for me and what sealed the deal was when I went to the Open House. I fell in love with the campus. 2 years later, applications commenced. It cost $30 to apply, and once accepted, it cost roughly $200 to confirm my acceptance.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum honestly resembles high school too much only 3 of my courses were chosen by me, and they were incredibly limited. The rest, such as physical education and English, were forced into the curriculum.
I chose this college because the 151 bus brought me door to door from Sainte Rose which was really convenient. I had trouble getting into my program for two semesters because of the competition there was for computer science and building systems and tech. Ever since grade school, I've been on the honor roll every single term and year (80+ average) and I struggled to get into my program regardless until I called admissions to fight for my spot. The person I called was Michelle and she really pushed the college because my program had only 23 spots in it and she pushed them to create the 24th spot for me due to my competitive grades.
Course Curriculum :
I hate R scores. Doesn't matter how well you're doing because your classmates will bring you down in comparison. The teachers and everything are alright but the r score calculation is completely of no use.
I went to this college because most of my friends went there and it was close by if you were to drive so that was also another reason to go there. My sister had gone there also so I had a good understanding of what kind of school it is.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is something that needs to be followed so that everything goes smooth with the program you in which also makes life easier since you know that if you do one classless you know which one you need to catch up.