Douglas College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1970, Douglas College currently has nearly 24,000 students enrolled in its various programs. The College is best known for combining the academic base of a university with the career-ready skills of a college. Located on SkyTrain lines, Douglas College is an easily accessible post-secondary institution in Metro Vancouver.
Douglas College runs most bachelor's degree and postgraduate courses than any other colleges in British Columbia, Canada. The college is one of the best options for international students to earn some credits for higher education in Canada, Douglas College is home to nearly 17,000 Credit students and around 4,000 international students.
- The Research and Innovation Office (RIO) fosters applied research at the college
- Amelia Douglas Gallery at the New Westminster Campus with awesome artwork of local and international artists
- The Academic Foundations, Enables the students to choose a customized pack of 10 courses in arts and science
- Students who have completed Graduation with a Certificate in Academic Foundations and 30 credits can get a transfer to the university or any program at Douglas College.
|Type of college||Public|
|Year of establishment||1970|
|Number of Campuses||Two|
|Faculty Members||960 approx.|
|Number of Domestic students||20,863|
|Seat Percentage of International||12.7%|
|International Students Basic Tuition Fee||CAD 580 – CAD 8700 (as per the credit)|
|Test Scores Accepted||TOEFL, IELTS, ELS|
Douglas College Campuses and Housing Facilities
Douglas College has two main campuses located in New Westminster and Coquitlam of Metro-Vancouver, Canada. Both the campuses are designed as per the comfort and ease of the students and are well-furnished with all sorts of requisite amenities.
Both campuses are equipped with the Learning Center, Student Center, Theatre, Cafeteria. Electronic Library Facility, Gymnasium, Art Theatre, Day Care, and Health Care
New Westminster Campus:
- Its proximity to the Sky Train station makes it feasible for the students to join.
- The six-floor level building house well-equipped gymnasium, fitness center, Amelia Douglas gallery, studio theatre, a center for students with a disability, Media lab, Dance studio, cafeteria, etc.
- With the average headcount of 8,205, the Coquitlam campus is located 1km north of Coquitlam mall. The campus is divided into two buildings: Building A/B and building C/D.
Douglas College does not have any on-campus residence halls or housing facilities. The college works with First Choice International placement (FCI) a homestay placement service to provide off-campus residence to international students.
- FCI (First Choice International Placement) assists the students to get the best homestay service matching their interest and requirement
- 46% of households in New Webminster are available for renting purpose with condominium rental, single-family rental, secondary suites, etc.
- Secondary suites are the most desirable and affordable housing options for the students and single people.
- The off-campus rental services could cost somewhere near to 400 USD to 1800 USD depending upon the room type, facility, and locality.
Programs and Faculties at Douglas College
Douglas College offers a variety of programs through its six faculties. These programs include certificates, diplomas, associate degrees, credit-courses, short-term, non-credit courses and workshops at both undergraduate and graduate levels. The College also offers 7 Bachelor’s degrees to international students.
- Programs are delivered in part-time, full-time, self-paced, partially online, part-time limited methods.
- Students who have completed academic studies with relevant work experience could join any Co-operative Education program.
- Bachelor’s degrees for International students are BBA in Accounting, Financial Services, and Management; B.A. in Applied Psychology, Applied Criminology, and Child & Youth Care; and Bachelor of Performing Arts.
Top Programs at Douglas College
Faculties at Douglas College
|Child, Family, and Community Studies||Commerce and Business Administration|
|Health Sciences||Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Language, Literature, and Performing Arts||Science and Technology|
Douglas College Application Process
Applicants can use the official website of the college to download the form or fill it online. Applicants must note to check the eligibility criteria and admission requirements for the program they are applying to. International applicants should try to complete their application process at least 6 to 7 months before the date of entry.
Application Process for International students
- Go to the official website of the Douglas college
- Find and choose the program
- Check the admission requirements and deadlines.
- Pay the application fee. The application fee is 76 USD for all the programs.
- Scan all documents and combine them in a PDF
- Email the file to International Admission for verification
- An offer letter is sent if applicants have met the requirements
- After accepting the offer letter, a letter of acceptance follows
- Accept it and complete the process.
- Letters of reference
- A statement of intent
- A writing sample
All international students must demonstrate their English proficiency by submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score along with the application.
|Test||Minimum Score Required|
|TOEFL iBT||Overall 83|
|IELTS||6.5(For Post-Degree and Post-Baccalaureate programs band below 6.0 is not accepted)|
Cost of Attendance at Douglas College
The cost of living a year at Douglas College will vary from student to student and depends on many variables such as the number of credits taken, living arrangements, intend to travel and personal spending habits.
- Programs in the Douglas college are priced on a per-credit basis for both Canadian and International students.
- Students have to pay 440 USD per credit.
- International students have to earn a minimum of 30 credits.
The tables below will give international students a general idea of what they can expect to spend over the academic year 2020-21 while living in Canada.
|Particulars||Estimated Cost(in USD)|
|Tuition Fee (30-Credit)||13,200|
|Other Student Activity Fee||36|
|Off-Campus Residence*||5000 – 8000|
|Books and Supplies||380 – 900|
|Personal Expenses||1000 – 1500|
|Approximate Cost of Attendance||18,642 – 22662|
* The amount is for 8 months(September to May) of meals, rent, and internet.
Douglas College offers financial aid to international students who desire to study in Canada in the form of scholarships, bursaries, fee waivers, and work-study programs. International students will have to meet certain requirements to avail of these financial aids.
Douglas College offers various entrance and merit-based scholarships to international students. It awards nearly 757000 USD in entrance scholarship to the new international students each year. Currently, the college is offering two scholarships:
Regional Entrance Award: 757 USD or 1514 USD
- Awarded directly based on merit.
- Available for students from CIS countries, Europe, Latin America, Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Africa.
- Successful recipients typically have an above-average GPA (B equivalent or higher) and strong English language proficiency test scores (i.e. IELTS 7.0 and above, or equivalent).
Education Entrance Scholarships: 1892 USD
- A separate application is required
- Students are selected based on their previous academic performance and their engagement in their school, community and/or personal development.
- Students from all countries are eligible for these scholarships.
Douglas College offers a limited number of bursaries to international students who demonstrate the need to finance their studies in Canada. Any international students who are a credit student and have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA are eligible.
Douglas College offers limited awards to support students with a financial crisis. A returning student with a minimum 3.0 GPA is eligible to get the award.
List of Awards
- Youth Educational Assistance Fund
- Ike Barber Transfer Scholarship
- Ike Barber Aboriginal Awards
Douglas College also offers on-campus and off-campus work opportunities for international students under its work-study program.
- A valid study permit
- Social insurance number (SIN) obtained from Service Canada to work-study in Canada.
- Apart from the above, students must be enrolled as a credit or degree student in the college and should have a minimum of 1.67 CGPA, without any academic probation.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I heard about this university from one of uncle whose son did his bachelors from this university. My percentage in 12th class was 89% and through out my school education, I had been a good student. The admission process was not too lengthy, I had to just apply here along with some documents and study permit, and the interview was normal, there was no need to pay attention on it separately.
Course Curriculum :
This course had prepared me for different areas in the world of business, including transfer to a university, starting a business, managing a business, accounting, computer systems, marketing, sales, etc. It was a four semester course had having total of 60 credits out of which 15 credits were must be completed at my campus.
I had applied to several universities and got approval from many of them. I chose this university over the rest because of it affordable quality education and high consistent placement rates. My online application fees was $90. In my 12th standard, I got 96.21%.
Course Curriculum :
The applied curriculum of this program had provided me skills in intermediate-level accounting, financial reporting, taxation, management accounting and auditing segment. It was an eight semester program comprised of 121 credits. In order to complete this course, I had to complete BUSN 4500, the capstone course, which requires me to had have 500 hours of Canadian work experience that was documented and signed off by my supervisor.
I chose because it was easiest to get in with low requirements.
Course Curriculum :
Syllabus was Most updated and got the exposure. PPT were changed on real time basis if there were new rules for eg in trades
My sister lives in Surrey, Canada. So I was looking for a college near Surrey or Vancouver. Other than that, I wanted to do a technical course from a public college or university which left me with only two choices of college which were BCIT and Douglas college. BCIT was not offering any post graduate 2 year program at the time, therefore I opted for Douglas college where I got admission in Post Baccalaureate diploma.
Course Curriculum :
I believe that this course is well suited for advanced learning in multiple fields such as java, web development, UX/UI design, data structure, mobile development, and web scripting.
Placement was my top most priority and to for that one needs skills, so I was looking for a college that focuses more on practical skills rather the theoretical curriculum and that is when I found Douglas College. Most of the students reviews mentioned that the college focuses on skills or better career opportunities, so I decided to apply for this college. The application fee that I paid for the online submission of my form was $75.
Course Curriculum :
My four-year program provided us with the necessary skills to secure intermediate-level accounting positions in financial reporting, taxation, management accounting and auditing. The program was quite rigorous and very effective for me. As part of the curriculum, we are also offered the chance of co-op option so that the we can earn while we learn. The curriculum also helped me earn a CPA accounting designation.
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary