Fraser International College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Fraser International College, a private establishment, is a part of Simon Fraser University, established in the year 1965 and located in Burnaby, Vancouver. Fraser International College is associated with Simon Fraser University, where the students benefit by getting all the same facilities as the SFU Campus.
The college was established with a view to prep these international students and have a smooth transition to Simon Fraser University. Thus it is one of the best places to study in Canada. Fraser International College’s University Transfer Program II (UTP Stage II) is equivalent to Simon Fraser University’s first-year bachelor program. The university accepts students in the months of January, May, and September.
Fraser International College Rankings
The following are the rankings as per the various online portals for the year 2020
- Global world ranking: #323
Times Higher Education:
- World university ranking: #251 - 300
Fraser International College Campus
- Fraser International College is located on the Simon Fraser University’s Burnaby Mountain Campus.
- This campus is closely located to Vancouver
- The campus is pedestrian-friendly, having various student services, on-campus residence facilities, and community shops.
- Students have access to Simon Fraser University’s library which hosts various research materials and other study materials that can either be borrowed. The online portal also can be availed for research or reference purposes.
- The University is also very keen on health, wellness and counseling. There are various options for students to access free 24/7 counseling and mental health support, free audio/video recordings of relaxation, yoga, guided meditation, etc.
- The Campus also has a bookstore where students can buy second-hand books at a discounted rate, sell their old books for freshmen, and other such items as may be required.
Fraser International College Residence
- International students applying to Fraser International College have various options for accommodation.
- Students can choose to go for on-campus accommodation at Burnaby Campus which is at a short walking distance from the college. There is a bus service available for the students as well. Rooms have high-speed internet, common room, shared TV and microwave, laundry facilities, small fridge, dining hall and meal plan, gym, retail shops, and coffee shops.
- Burnaby Campus has various residence halls such as Barbara Rae, Shadbolt, Pauline Jewett, Shell House, McTaggart-Cowan Hall, Townhouses, Hamilton Hall, and Charles Chang Innovation Centre: Vancouver Residence.
- Barbara Rae, Shadbolt, and Pauline are towers having traditional single rooms, shared bathrooms, and meal plans generally are chosen by first-year undergraduates.
- Shell House and McTaggart-Cowan Hall are also traditional single rooms with shared bathrooms and also a shared kitchen. These are popular among new and returning undergraduates.
- Townhouses have four single rooms, a living room, two bathrooms, and a shared kitchen. It is popular among new and returning upper-year undergraduates.
- Hamilton Hall and Charles Chang Innovation Centre: Vancouver Residence is reserved for graduate students, both being studio-style suites. The latter also has a 2-bedroom apartment option.
- There is also an on-campus hotel for families visiting.
- GEC Burnaby Heights is an accommodation provided for students at Capitol Hill neighborhood of Burnaby. It is a four-story residence, a shared apartment of 2 students, has 24/7 video surveillance in public areas, smart locks, and live-in caretakers at affordable rates.
- There is an option of off-campus accommodation as well where students can rent a private room or shared a private apartment around the college.
- Students have a third option, which is when students can live with Canadian families close to the college. Such kinds of accommodation vary from one another. Special amenities such as the internet, private bathroom, customized meal plans may be available. Fraser College prefers Vancouver Central Homestay and First Choice International Placement.
The following are the charges for the various housing rates:
|Undergraduate Residence||Fall (CAD)||Spring (CAD)||Summer (CAD)|
|Graduate Residence||Fall (CAD)||Spring (CAD)||Summer (CAD)|
|Hamilton Hall (1 bedroom)||3,837||3,780||3,780|
|Charles Chang Innovation Centre (2 bedrooms)||3,808||3,752||3,752|
|Charles Chang Innovation Centre (2 bedrooms with study)||4,214||4,152||4,152|
|Charles Chang Innovation Centre (studio)||5,323||5,244||5,244|
|Residence Hall Association||13|
|Meal Plan||Description||Rates (CAD)|
|7 Day Basic||7 days a week in the dining hall||2,045 per term|
|5 Day Basic||Monday – Friday or
Sunday – Thursday
|1,945 per term|
Alternatively, there are some other residence options too in Canada.
Fraser International College Programs
- Fraser International College has various pathway programs, mainly focusing on undergraduate programs.
- Their Foundation Program, also known as UTP Stage I, is designed for students who do not meet certain admission requirements in the courses of Business Administration, Computing Science, Arts, and Social Sciences or Engineering Sciences. After this, you can progress to UTP Stage II
- UTP Stage II is basically undergraduate programs. There are 13 undergraduate programs offered by the college including courses such as Business Administration, Communication and Business, Computing Science, etc.
- The University has only one graduate program, that is, FIC Pre-Master’s Program in Engineering.
- The college was established with a view to prep these international students and have a smooth transition to Simon Fraser University.
- Fraser International College’s University Transfer Program II (UTP Stage II) is equivalent to Simon Fraser University’s first-year bachelor program.
Fraser International College Application Process
Fraser International College requires some important admission facts that a student must know. Thus the following are the admission requirements required from an international student.
Application portal: Online
Application Fee: 250 CAD
Fraser International College has no deadline and accepts students in the months of January, May, and September. However, the following are the application deadlines while transferring to Simon Fraser University:
Admission Requirements: The following are the various academic requirements according to the various streams.
- Senior secondary school certificate
- High school transcripts
- Recommendation letter by a guidance counselor
- SAT or ACT test scores are required
- Students from non-English language proficiency are required to appear for the English language proficiency test scores. Given below are the minimum requirements required:
- Complete application
- Official High School Transcripts
- Relevant Test Scores
- Verification of financial support
- Affidavit of Support
- Copy of Passport
- Personal essay
- Letters of recommendation
- International Clearance Form
Fraser International College Cost of Attendance
The table tabulated below shows the estimated cost of attendance
|Expenses||Amount (UG) (CAD)||Amount (Graduate) (CAD)|
|Room & Board||3,108 – 3,3403||3,837 – 5,244|
|Books and Supplies||1,170||1,170|
|Academic Literacy Course||2,978||2,978|
|Lab fee for Biology/Physics||110||110|
|Student Services and Recreation||225||225|
|SFU Student Society Fees||119||119|
|Housing Application Fee||50||50|
Fraser International College: Financial Aid for international students
- Exceptional Academic Performance: Students who are enrolled in a full-time course, with proven academic excellence judged on the basis of previous semester GPA will be awarded this scholarship with a value of CAD 750.
- Students can also opt for the scholarships available in Canada.
Fraser International College Alumni
Benefits of Alumni:
- BMO Master Card: You get reward miles or CashBack with no annual fee
- Manulife: Insurance plans at affordable rates
- TD Insurance: Savings on tenant, travel, savings, auto insurance.
- Access to SFU Library
- Wi-Fi Access
- Meeting and Event Space
- Simon Hotel Accommodation
- Access to SFU Athletics and Recreation at 25% discount
- SFU Continuing Studies: waiving CAD 75 on the application fee
Fraser International College Placement
- There are various workshops where various topics such as developing a Linked In profile, the Vancouver job market, interviewing skills, job search strategies, and others are discussed.
- Other career services are also available to students such as helping with resumes and cover letters, job search, salary negotiations, etc.
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Because FIC offer special designed courses for international students, helps them to adapt to a whole new learning environment. Also when transferring to Simon Fraser University in year 2, I will have many opportunity to get internship experience and also SFU is one of the top universities in Computer Science Faculty
Course Curriculum :
It provides me with first steps in my majors and it is really useful. It offer compulsory courses like Calculus 1&2, Discrete Math, and Computer Programming, so I think it is really relevant to my majors.
College is your direct pathway to Simon Fraser University Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It was a unique opportunity to begin my degree studies in a supportive learning environment, on the campus of Simon Fraser University, and be successful. In addition, the variety of cultural and sports activities allowed me to thrive during my journey. My GPA was around 8 and I had applied through an online application form for which I paid around $80.
Course Curriculum :
My course provides the foundation for further study in many aspects of business and commerce to help you choose your area of specialization for your Bachelor of Business Administration degree. My program aims to train professionals capable of working in commercial management and marketing. Sales and representation, business start-up, personnel management, business law, inventory, and supply management, as well as economic analysis, are the basic concepts of the training. My area of study promotes the development of skills to perform well in this new marketing niche.
I opted for this college because it is established in the state where my relatives are living i.e. British Columbia. As I was always interested in studying Business from abroad, then my relatives suggested to me this college. I have done my +2 in commerce so, it was easy for me to get admission to Business Administration because it was related to my area of interest. I applied on the website of the college, The application fee of the program was $250.
Course Curriculum :
Actually, I love the course curriculum because it has all the courses that I always wanted to study such as Business writing skills, Critical Thinking, Macroeconomics, Financial Accounting, HRM, and more. This course is 30 credits. As I have studied Mathematics in 11th and 12th then opting elective courses is not mandatory for me.
- Super Market
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Train Station
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary