Bachelor of Arts [B.A] (Communication Studies)
International Student Tution
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies at McMaster University is a 4-year teaching program.
- It is an honours degree program offered on a full-time basis.
- Communication Studies at McMaster is an interdisciplinary program offered by the Faculty of Humanities.
- It is an academic discipline program that encompasses many fields of study.
- This program is offered by the University in two ways:
- Honours Communication Studies (BA)
- Combined Honours in Communication Studies and Another Subject (BA)
- In this program, students examine core issues and learn about communication theories, which will give them the tools to make sense of the tangled web of media, culture, and language, in a world.
- University also provides opportunities to take courses in different areas of communication studies such as cultural studies, performance studies, and mass communication.
- Students have to successfully complete 120 credits.
- Students will gain advanced knowledge of the nature, function, and evolution of communication, and will develop both practical and theoretical skills necessary to pursue careers in the field of communications.
- The Faculty of Humanities at McMaster is home to 120 full-time faculty members which are spread across the academic and research-focused units.
- Students entering the programs will able to meet by a diverse group of professionals with global experiences and practical local knowledge.
- Placements/Job opportunities after BA Communication Studies are Sound Engineer, Film Director, Public Relations Officer, etc.
- The average salary goes up to 31,575 USD after completing this program.
|Degree Type Offered||Bachelor|
|Fees||$ 109512 for 4 yearsor 120 Credits Program|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||fall (Deadline - Feb 1)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
Students should meet the following requirements to apply for the program:
- Students must have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) with acceptable standing.
- They should have completed Grade 12 U and/or M courses to meet the minimum set by the specific program.
- Students have 6 appropriate midterm/interim Grade 12 U and/or M grades.
- At least 3 final Grade 12 U and/or M grades plus enrollment in the appropriate additional 3 Grade 12 U and/or M courses.
- In some cases, Grade 11 marks may also be considered for admission.
Indian Student Eligibility
- Students must have 5 subjects of Class XII including all mandatory prerequisites for the selected program.
- The student's average is calculated on Grade XII Predicted grades.
- Students are eligible to apply if they have the following documents: Class X board results, Class XI transcript, and Class XII predicted grades.
Required Document List
Following are the required document:
- Online application form and fees: Students have to fill the online form and submit the application fees.
- CV/Resume: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work and/or volunteer experience.
- Two Academic or Professional References: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
- Personal Statement: It should include a brief overview of themselves, strengths and any work experience and/or education that students have.
- Transcripts: Students have to submit transcripts from all universities/colleges attended, World Education Services Assessments, and English Language Proficiency test scores.
- Statement of Intent: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
- Documents that must be sent by letter mail or courier include SAT/ACT results, AP test results, IELTS, TOEFL, and other English language proficiency test results.
|fall||Feb 1, 2021|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Room and Food (On-Campus)||$ 9195|
|Housing (Off-Campus)||$ 4860|
Academy Ranking of World Universities 2020
Ranked #151 / 200
Social Studies [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|(ISC)² Women’s Cybersecurity Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Feb 19, 2021|
|Collegedunia $150 Scholarship Program||$ 150||Yes||N/A|
|Jared J. Davis Grant||$ 1000||Yes||N/A|
|Microsoft Tuition Scholarship||Variable||Yes||N/A|
VISA & Work Study
- Students are required to get a Study Visa to study in Canada.
- If students are traveling outside Canada will need either an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or a Valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to re-enter Canada.
- The cost of the study visa is 112 USD and is valid for the length of the student’s study program, plus an extra 90 days.
- Students need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canad and to get the SIN, students will need to bring a passport and study visa.
- At the time of VISA application, students need to provide various documents:
- Application form and Study Plan
- Valid Passport
- Official Acceptance Letter
- Financial Evidence
Students need a work-Study visa to work in Canada. Full-time international students studying at a Canadian university may seek employment in Canada in 4 situations:
- on-campus employment
- co-ops employment
- working off-campus
- post-graduation work visa
The McMaster Work Program gives students opportunities to work on campus during the fall/winter terms and over the summer.
- First-year international students are not eligible for the fall/winter work program but can apply for the summer after their first year and every year beyond.
- International students with a valid study visa are eligible to participate in McMaster’s work programs.
- Students can work Part-time at a maximum of 10 hours per week in the fall and winter terms.
- Students can work Full-time of 35 hours per week and part-time over the summer.
Career and Placement after Course
The career opportunities are:
- Sound Engineer
- Film Director
- Public Relations Officer
- Sound Mixer and Sound Recorder
- Special Correspondent
- TV Correspondent
- Radio Jockey/ RJ