Richard Ivey School of Business is one of Canada’s premier business schools. Its main campus is situated in London, Ontario, midway between Toronto and Detroit. One of the oldest schools in Canada, it has the best MBA program in Canada according to Bloomberg Businessweek. Affiliated with The University of Western Ontario, Ivey is popular for its state-of-the-art curriculum and runs the following programs in English:
- Undergraduate degree programs (Honours Business Administration)
- Postgraduate degree programs (12-Month MBA, Executive MBA, and PhD)
- Non-degree open enrollment programs
- Customized corporate programs via its executive development facilities in London, Toronto, and Hong Kong.
Why Choose Richard Ivey School of Business?
- Ranked as the best international business school outside of the United States and the best business school in Canada by Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Ranked #12 in the top 25 internationally-focused business schools by Wall Street Journal MBA.
- Its MBA program has the highest recorded salaries three years after graduation of any Canadian business school (Financial Times Ranking 2006)
- Ranked Top 10 in the World for Alumni Network (The Economist 2015 MBA Rankings).
- Placement rate of 92 percent was observed for the MBA class of 2015.
- Yielded more C-level executives than other Canadian business schools.
- Among the two most important producers of business cases in the world.
- The largest producer of present Asian business cases.
- A prestigious alumni network 20,000-degree alumni and 15,000-Executive Development alumni in 98 countries.
What Students Say
- Events such as Ivey Leaders Forum offer tremendous variance in culture, industry, and functional expertise
- The MBA LGBTQ student club is part of Reaching Out MBA (ROMBA) provides students a stronger connection with LGBTQ+ MBAs from across the world.
- Its close-knit environment of social relationships is a rich source of learning for students..
- The Ivey Case-Method turns the class into a collaborative learning environment.
- Its Cross-Enterprise Leadership (CEL) approach and supportive Ivey Career Management prepares one for a completely riveting experience.
- With 489 companies posted jobs to the MSc classes of 2015 and 2016, it offers exceptional employment opportunities to its students.
|Type of Institution||Public|
|Main Campus||London, Ontario|
|Courses||HBA, MBA, MSc, and PhD, EMBA and Executive Education programs|
|Average Accommodation Cost||CAD 9,000|
Richard Ivey of Business is spread across many locations. Its four global campuses are:
- Its main campus at the University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario
- Spencer Leadership Centre in London, Ontario
- Tangerine Leadership Centre in downtown Toronto at the Exchange Tower
- Cheng Yu Tung Management Institute in the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (offers both Executive MBA and Executive Development programs)
Residence facilities for students are good and can be opted as per their choice. The two options for housing facilities include:
Students opting to stay on the campus are provided with several housing options. Residence at Western provides community housing experience to the first year, the upper year as well as graduate students. It saves traveling time and expenses. The residences are varied as per different styles such as:
|Traditional-style residence||It is the most affordable option and includes a combination of single and double rooms. Residents share common washrooms with members of their floor community.|
|Hybrid-style residence||Mostly double rooms (and some singles) where two rooms form a semi-suite and have their own private washroom (though no kitchen or living room).|
|University apartments||Offer independent on-campus residence facilities for the upper year and graduate students.|
|Platt’s Lane Estates||A great family-friendly option for the upper-year and graduate students with families.|
- The University of Western London has a reliable off-campus housing service providers which can be relied on for house listings.
- Online portals such as Kijiji, Zoeken, and Craigslist can be used to find affordable and convenient residences.
- Off-campus housing is a great alternative for students seeking more affordable accommodations.
The facilities and resources provided by Richard Ivey School of Business include:
- Event planning support and communications services
- Online resources for research
- Meal plan included in on-campus housing which can be used at certain outlets on the campus
- Provision for varsity athletics
Richard Ivey School of Business offers various courses in Entrepreneurship, General Management, Finance, International Business, Managerial Accounting, and Controls.
The above-mentioned courses above are available at the following levels:
- Full-time undergraduate Honors Business Administration (HBA)
- Full-time graduate degree programs (MBA, MSC, and PhD)
- Executive MBA (EMBA)
- Pre-business courses
- Accelerated MBA (for recent HBA graduates only)
- Executive Education (Open Enrolment and Custom Programs)
- PhD in Business Administration
One needs to fulfil Ivey’s admission requirements which vary from curriculum to curriculum and country to country. The application requisites for all the courses are mentioned below.
HBA and MBA programs
- Transcripts of your educational background
- English proficiency test scores - TOEFL, IELTS General or Academic (minimum score of 7), MELAB (minimum score of 85), or PTE (minimum score of 70)
- For masters courses: GMAT Score or GRE Score, three letters of reference, current resume with full-time work experience of at least two years, and letter of intent.
MSc in Business Analytics or International Business
Admission requirements are uniform for both streams as well as both domestic and international students. They are listed below:
- An undergraduate degree received within the past two years
- A strong academic history with an average of B+ achieved during the last two academic years
- An online application comprising the completion of the required written essay questions and video questions
- Unofficial transcripts from your post-secondary institution(s)
- Professional resumé (a maximum of two pages)
- Two reference letters (at least one academic)
- A good level of English proficiency: TOEFL (minimum 100) or IELTS (minimum 7) score if required, for English Proficiency.
- GMAT score or GRE score (*not required at the time of application)
Executive MBA (EMBA)
EMBA at Ivey is an MBA program designed specifically for the busy professionals interested in advancing their careers. It begins in February and September. The admission is granted on the basis of the following:
- Work experience
- Academic experience (official transcripts of post-secondary institutions)
- GMAT scores
- Your answers to three self-evaluation questions to provide a clear picture of your learning objectives and expectations
- English Proficiency proof via TOEFL
- 2 reference letters verifying your work experience and character
- Unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
- GMAT score of 600 is required
- Resumé demonstrating a minimum of two-year full-time work experience
- TOEFL score (for English Proficiency)
- Two to three reference letters
- Apart from these, one must meet the minimum requirements for the MBA program (stated above for the MBA program)
PhD Program in Business Administration
- A master’s degree from an accredited university or college with at least an average of B+
- GRE scores or GMAT scores (a recommendation of scores each within or above the 75th percentile)
- English Proficiency scores through TOEFL (minimum of 100) and IELTS (a band of 7.5 is required)
- A statement of research and professional interests (must not exceed three pages)
- Three appraisal forms/recommendations from professors signifying your capability of independent scholarly work
- Updated resume
- A valid study permit is a must for international students
- For permanent residents who have not yet been granted an immigrant status, they must apply as international applicants.
How to Apply
- For all the courses, you have to apply online on the official website.
- Create an account and assemble the documents mentioned above for each of the courses.
- Upload/attach the required documents as listed above.
- Submit your application and wait for the institution to review it.
- For MBA, Accelerated MBA and MSc programs, interviews may be conducted.
- For the MSc program, Richard Ivey has added an additional video question-answer component from 2018 onwards
- Pay the mandatory application fee.
|MBA (including accelerated and executive)||CAD 150|
|HBA||CAD 150 CAD 156 (for international applicants)|
|Domestic students||CAD 92,500|
|International students||CAD 106,500|
|Ancillary (includes health insurance)||CAD 772.50|
*Please note that the tuition fee for accelerated MBA is same as the regular MBA program
|Domestic students (for one year)||CAD 6,750|
|International students (for one year)||CAD 38,222|
|Ancillary (per year)||CAD 1700 (Average)|
|MSc Domestic||CAD 42,500|
|MSc IB with CEMS MIM (for domestic students)||CAD 48,000|
|MSc International||CAD 60,500|
|MSc IB with CEMS MIM (for international students)||CAD 66,000|
|Western Ancillary Fees (Bus Pass, Gym Membership)||CAD 500|
|Tuition Fee||CAD 110,000|
|Security Deposit||CAD 2,000|
|Base Funding||CAD 27,700|
|Additional Funding||CAD 8,000 + CAD 3,000|
Costs for Traditional (T), Hybrid (H) and Suite (S) Styles of Accommodation
|Single room (T)||CAD 7,890|
|Double room (T)||CAD 7,090|
|Single room (H)||CAD 9,440|
|Double room (H)||CAD 8,690|
|Single room (S)||CAD 9,810|
|Meal plan (for all styles)||CAD 2,950|
Richard Ivey School of Business provides grants and scholarships as financial aids to deserving students. It automatically reviews international candidates of exceptional quality and offers them admission awards ranging from CAD 10,000 to half tuition.
There are many others financing options available through student loans such as the Prodigy Finance and other financial aids provided by various banks such as BMO, TD, etc. Some of the popular scholarships and awards are mentioned below.
|Name of the Scholarship||Criteria||Value|
|Ivey Global Leader Award (only for international MBA students)||Based on academic merit and leadership qualities, international candidates for MBA are automatically reviewed for admission awards.||Ranges from CAD 10,000 to half tuition|
|Financial Need and Merit awards (Caroline Brohman Memorial Award)||Awarded to full-time HBA students of brilliant quality (minimum average of 78%) who require financial assistance.||CAD 7,500|
|Merit Scholarships like Claude Lamoureux HBA Scholarships||Awarded to full-time HBA students based on their academic achievement (minimum 80% average)||CAD 10,000|
|Richard Ivey MSc Excellence Awards||For outstanding candidates pursuing MSc at Ivey||CAD 20,000|
Work While Study
- Since Study Permits allow you to work in Canada, it is advisable for international students enrolled full-time to work off campus if they have a valid study permit.
- Keep the following in mind in order to be eligible for working:
- Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) after you get your study permit and arrive in Canada.
- You must strictly follow the rules regarding off-campus work.
- You can work for 20 hours per week. During designated breaks such as summer, winter, semester breaks, etc, you can work till 40 hours per week.
Ivey offers online services to alumni through its Intranet: Alumni Portal. Students can search the alumni directory, join discussion groups, send messages to classmates and access various career resources and job postings.Ivey has a widespread alumni network of 27,000 business professionals in Canada as well as throughout the world. Two in five of its over 20,000 graduates hold the titles of Chair, President, CEO, Vice-Chair, Vice-President, Managing Director/Partner of their companies. Some notable alumni of this institution include:
- Thomas H. Bailey, Founder of Janus Capital
- John Chayka, General Manager, Arizona Coyotes
- George Cope, President and CEO, Bell Canada
- Ray Muzyka, CEO, BioWare
- Richard Nesbitt, President and CEO, CIBC World Markets, former CEO, TMX Group
- Dave Nichol, Founder of President's Choice
- Robert Nourse, Founder of Bombay Company
- Sukhinder Singh Cassidy, Founder and Chairman of Joyus, Board Member at TripAdvisor and Ericsson