Ontario Institute for Studies in Education: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Ontario Institute For Studies In Education is situated in the most populous province of central Canada, Ontario Institute For Studies In Education, under the University of Toronto, is the only institute with an all-graduate program covering areas of teaching, research, and methods of learning. It was established in the year 1965 and offers 12 graduate programs, that are taught in 4 major departments. It was ranked the first position in the Faculty of Education in Canada by 2017 QS World University Rankings by subject.
Ontario Institute For Studies In Education Rankings
The following are the rankings as per various online portals for the year 2020:
- Faculty of Education in Canada: #1
- Faculty of Education in the World: #10
- Computer Science: #10
- English Education: #10
- Library and Information Management: #3
Times Higher Education:
- The University of Toronto was ranked: #20
- Arts and Humanities Department: #18
- Clinical, Pre-clinical, and Health Department: #6
Ontario Institute For Studies In Education Campus
- Ontario Institute For Studies In Education provides three campus options to its students which are located in the Greater Toronto Area.
- The three major campuses are Mississauga Campus, St. George Campus, and Scarborough Campus
- Other than the myriad of world-class facilities that are available on these three campuses, there are also, Recreation centers, wellness centers, double gym, eight-lane pools, weight rooms, etc. to help students rejuvenate themselves and take a break when needed.
- Several social events and activities are curated, which focuses on multiple student-based discussions and topics. There is an Academic Social Club that organizes these events.
- OISE is also the house of several libraries, OISE Library, Robarts Library, Gerstein Library. Robarts Library is the largest academic library in Canada.
Ontario Institute For Studies In Education Residence
- The University of Toronto provides housing facilities to its students through several options such as student residence, student family housing, and off-campus housing.
- Students can choose from any of these options as a mode of their accommodation during their stay in the university.
- All under graduation and graduation students are eligible to access this facility.
- The staff here can help you find the ideal home to buy.
- Housing Services Student Advisory Committee.
- Some of them are Spadina Towers, Parkside Student Residence, Ernescliff, and CampusOne Residence.
Ontario Institute For Studies In Education Programs
- OISE offers several graduate programs that are grouped into four umbrella Departments.
- Within OISE’s four academic departments, the students are offered a wide range of graduate programs (plus fields and collaborative specializations) leading to master’s and doctoral degrees.
- Some of the major popular programs are Master of Arts in Child Study and Education, Master of Teaching (MT), Counselling Psychology, Educational Leadership and Policy (MEd, MA), and many more
- The graduate programs are also classified as Teacher Education and Master’s programs.
- As a student at OISE, in addition to the focus of our many program areas, the student can choose from the University of Toronto's range of collaborative specializations involving the cooperation of two or more graduate units (departments, centers, or institutes).
Ontario Institute For Studies In Education Admission Process
Before studying at Ontario Institute For Studies In Education the student must know some of the facts regarding the admission process. Thus the following are the admission requirements for the international students.
Application Portal: University official website
Application Fee: 220 USD
- Transcript from all the post-secondary institutions attended by the student.
- Academic letter of reference
- Professional letter of reference
- Statement of Intent.
- Proficiency in the English language is one of the major deciding factors in the process of getting admission in OISE. Any of the given below must be fulfilled in order to secure a seat-
- TOEFL- 93 (overall score) and 22 in Speaking/Writing
- COPE- Minimum Score of 76 (22 in all component and 32 in the writing component)
- IELTS- Minimum score of 7.0 (6.5 in each component)
- An additional letter of reference
- A written work sample of the student.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
- All the supporting documents must be submitted along with the application online, in the .pdf format. These can also be submitted in the paper format, enclosed in an envelope.
Ontario Institute For Studies In Education Cost of Attendance
Here’s a detailed table showing the estimated cost of attendance of international students attending different programs in OISE-
|Tuition Fee||30,000 - 38,000|
|Books and Supplies||1,000|
|Residence (in campus + meals)||8,000 - 15,000|
|Residence (off-campus + meals)||15,000 and more|
Ontario Institute For Studies In Education Financial Aid for International Students
- There are financial implications of studying in OISE, and for that matter, the university has initiated an ample number of programs to help the international students receive education in OISE without having to face any of such financial constraints.
- The university suggests all it’s international applicants to pay for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) to have access to good health care facilities.
- To support their financial state, some students may also sign up for work in Canada while studying, which would act as an additional aid.
- Other than this, for students enrolled in Ph.D. programs and full-time MA programs, receive a base funding package for the first 4 years of their Ph.D. program and the first year of their MA program.
- The estimated value of this funding package is 24,850 USD (including tuition and incidental fees).
- There are several Admission Awards, Scholarships such as SGS International Student Scholarship and OISE International Scholarship. Students can apply to other additional scholarship packages if they are in need of increased financial support.
- Alternatively, some other scholarships are available in Canada.
Ontario Institute For Studies In Education Notable Alumni
Some of the notable alumni of the university are:
- Diane Longboat, Community Healer
- Glen Sharpe, Prized Professor, and Mentor
- Konrad Skorupa, Arts and Culture Aficionado
- Carlos Ruano, Plantation to Policy Leader
- Amilcar Barnett, Team Player Teacher
- Karma Chukdong, Indigenous Learning Leader
- Fabian Garcia, Human Rights Official
The alumni and recent graduate students enjoy a wide range of benefits and services offered by the university. They are:
- Receive 550 USD credit towards any course.
- Access the U of T Library system, including the OISE Library – the largest academic education library in Canada!
- Receive 50% off Fitness Memberships
- Receive 30% off Hart House theatre tickets
- Access services at the U of T Career Centre
- Get deals on Travel and Retail & Attractions
Ontario Institute For Studies In Education Placements
- OISE conducts courses to help it’s students to be global leaders. It has several programs under it, which help to cater to the needs of the students graduated from OISE.
- Programs such as Adult Learning and Development, which help students prepare for all the challenges they face in the workplace. This program is of 2-year duration and has 4 compulsory courses under it.
- Programs such as this help students to improve their performance in jobs and workplaces
- On completion of these programs, students receive certificates which improve their resume.
- OISE also conducts Continuing and Professional Learning which hosts a number of workshops and events of interest, in the benefit of students.