Metropolitan College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1997, Metropolitan College is an ESL school located in downtown Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The college strives to provide practical, fun, and affordable English Language training and majorly has international students from India, Germany, China, Korea, Japan, Greece, Switzerland, and many more.
The Metropolitan College offers Intensive English (ESL) program with work experience and volunteering opportunities, after-school tutoring, and certifications in TOEFL/ IELTS/ TOEIC, Golf, and international business language.
Apart from that, the college also offers affordable tuition fees, city library card setup, free bank account set up with Visa credit card, unlimited Internet access, etc. [i] [ii] [iii]
Metropolitan College is an excellent option for students wanting to learn the English language as it won the 2013 Consumer Choice Award in the category of ESL Language school for Hamilton and its surrounding area. [iv]
CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: Due to the current situation, Metropolitan College is conducting online classes through skype. The online classes utilize the same schedule and curriculum of the regular classes.
|College Type||Private ESL school|
|Programs offered||Intensive ESL program, certification programmes, work experience program, Interpreter/Translator program|
|Class size||5-8 students per class|
|Mode of program||Full time, private tutoring, part time|
|Application Fee||150 CAD|
- Metropolitan College is located in downtown Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and is registered with the Ontario Ministry of Education. It has all the amenities in the neighborhood, including parks, restaurants, the main library, and the bus/train station.
- It has an elegant campus with unlimited Internet access, lunch area, study area, cultural trips, computers, library, and parking.
- MC keeps the class size small with 5-8 students so that teachers can pay attention to each student.
- It provides engaging textbooks and curriculum to the students, along with fun learning activities.
- Metropolitan College does not provide any on-campus stay for the students. However, MC does provide economical, comfortable, and reliable accommodations for students that are located in friendly neighborhoods.
- The college helps students to find Homestays that are close to public transportation. MC’s homestay families are safe and friendly and treat students as their family members.
- MC’s Homestay Coordinator makes sure that each family has gone through a security check and arranges a suitable homestay for students.
- The average rent for a homestay: 900.00 CAD (per month - all meals) and 700.00 CAD (per month - no meals)
- Metropolitan College also offers students the option of a shared house in which a student can have a room in the house. Students get a private bedroom (furnished with a bed and desk), but they have to share the kitchen and bathroom with other students. The rent for a shared house is 700.00 CAD (per month including all utilities and wifi)
- Metropolitan College offers Intensive English language program; ESL private lessons; test preparation for TOEFL & IELTS; certification in TESOL, international business language; ESL+golf; work experience program and interpreter or translator program.
- The intensive ESL program and interpreter or translator program are some of the most popular programs provided by Metropolitan College.
- ESL program covers Listening, Speaking, Pronunciation, Reading, Writing, Vocabulary, and Grammar
- Translator / Interpreter program is offered in partnership with CISOC (Cultural Interpretation Services for Our Communities)
- Students have to fill the registration form on the official website of the college. [xii]
- Students have to pay the application fee of 150 CAD, which can be paid using a Credit card - Visa or Mastercard. [xiii]
- International Students also have to submit the essential documents that include [xiv]:
- Health Insurance
- Student Visa
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support
- Proof of medical examination
- Original transcripts
- There is no requirement for English proficiency.
- Metropolitan College requires English proficiency for the Interpreter or translator program.
- After submitting the documents, Metropolitan College will send you a letter of acceptance, receipt, and other supporting documents confirming your status as a student.
Cost of Attending Metropolitan College
To be able to study in Canada, students need to keep in mind the various expenses incurred. These include accommodation, food, basic amenities and many other expenses.
|Type of Accommodation||Facilities||Price|
|Homestay, Single-person room||No meals||700 CAD|
|Homestay, Single-person room||with Breakfast, lunch, and dinner||900 CAD|
|Shared apartment, Single-person room||No meals||700 CAD|
Tuition fees will include textbooks and study materials. Different tuition rates are tabulated below.
|Programs||Cost in CAD|
|Intensive ESL program|
|1 - 11 weeks of study||200 CAD|
|12 - 23 weeks of study||187.50 CAD|
|24+ weeks of study||175 CAD|
|ESL Certificates||800 CAD for 25 private tutoring sessions|
|Interpreter/Translator program||1,400 CAD|
|Co-op/ Work Experience program (ESL lessons are paid separately)||1,200 CAD placement fee|
Metropolitan College offers a refund in the following situations:
- Before starting a course:
75% of the fee is given as a refund if students withdraw before classes begin. However, no refund is given if a student receives a Study Permit or Visitor Visa using the college’s documentation.
- After starting a course:
70% of the fee is refunded if a student withdraws within 10% of the course but no refund is given after 10% of the course.
- The application fee is non-refundable.
Co-op/Work Experience Program at Metropolitan College
- Metropolitan College offers a co-op / work experience program that provides the students an opportunity to boost their language skills in real life situations.
- This program provides placements in the fields of tourism, law, IT, finance, marketing,hospitality, business administration, etc.
- Students can begin with this program after completing the general ESL program.
|Duration of program||4 weeks|
|Attendance record||Minimum 90%|
|Research and final report||1,000 words detailing Co-op/work experience.|
Work while you Study
- Students can work off campus while studying at Metropolitan College
- Average rate of pay is CAD 10 an hour
- Some jobs available to international students are –
- Call Centre Communicator
- Multilingual Language Translator4
- Other jobs include working in cafes, restaurants, coffee shops, retail stores etc.
- Students at Metropolitan College usually volunteer in Senior Centres (retired Canadians), YMCA (with children), hospitals (working with patients), SPCA (working with animals), etc to boost their language skills.
- Metropolitan College plans School Trips to places like Westfield Heritage Centre, Canada's Wonderland, Niagara Falls, Camping sites, etc.
- Metropolitan College also conducts School Activities and parties
Metropolitan College has professional and qualified ESL trainers who aim to teach students in a warm and comfortable environment. Teachers are native to Canada and try to provide a fun learning experience. It also provides individual tutoring, counseling, and advice to the students, exciting school trips, social events, and ample volunteer and internship opportunities.
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I wanted to learn English and increase my vocabulary and out of all colleges in Canada, I found Metropolitan College to be the best. I went to the campus in person and applied in person. I only applied to another college offering the same program but got rejected so I chose to go with Metropolitan College. I submitted my application online and was charged an amount of $150 as the application fee.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum for my program included everything from beginner to all the way to expert level. The teachers used various multi-media methods to teach us about communication skills, listening, speaking, pronunciation, writing, and vocabulary too was taught to all of us. I also got to learn about idioms and modern slangs.