Master of Science [M.Sc] (Health Sciences)
International Student Tution
- Simon Fraser University offers MSc in Health Sciences for a duration of 2-3 years.
- It is an academic, research-based degree program at SFU that allows students to complete it in 6 to 9 terms.
- MSc program is also an on-campus, thesis-based graduate degree offered on a full-time basis.
- The Major components of the Health Science program are:
- Diagnostic services
- Health informatics
- Support services
- Therapeutic services
- Biotechnology research and development
- This program consists of 3 options: course work, thesis, or project option for a minimum of 30 units.
- Students involved in research have to complete 12 credits of coursework and a thesis proposal.
- Faculty of Health Sciences offers 3 graduate programs, allowing a diverse approach to advanced education in health sciences are:
- Master of Public Health (Full-time, completed in 5 terms)
- MSc in Health Sciences Full-time, completed in 6-9 terms)
- PhD in Health Sciences (Full-time, completed in 12–15 terms)
- The student-faculty ratio is 27:1, which helps to increase interaction between professors and students.
- The FSH organized research seminar series, focuses on the research of the faculty and related researchers held in the fall and spring semesters.
- The department approaches both the research and educational programs in a multi-disciplinary way, encouraging researchers, students, and professors from different disciplines to collaborate.
- MSc Health Sciences at Simon Fraser University ranks 2nd in Research according to QS ranking 2019 in Canada.
- The Research Faculty of Health Science department has received many awards like Graduate Fellowships, SFU Donor Awards, etc.
- Job opportunities after MSc Health Sciences as Nursing Home Administrator, Clinical Management, etc and the average salary is 52,200 USD.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 26949 for 2-3 year|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||spring (Deadline - July 31)|
|Average Salary (USD)||52200|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Students must have a bachelor's degree in science or any related field from a recognized institution.
- The related fields include a UG degree in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Life Sciences.
- A GPA of at least 3.0 (B grade) out of 4.33 is required to be eligible for the program.
Work Experience Eligibility:
- Students may be admitted with lower formal qualifications when there is significant experience relevant to the proposed area of scholarship.
- For the thesis-based M.Sc program, admission is offered based upon participation in research projects, and academic awards.
- If students have any work experience then the chances of accepting the applications are more.
Students may be admitted with lower formal qualifications when a student has significant experience relevant to the proposed area of scholarship.
Indian Student Eligibility:
Indian students are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Completed a 4-year UG degree in any field from a recognized University
- Students have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B) or a minimum of 3.33 (B+) based on the last 60 credits of UG coursework.
Submission of GRE scores is not compulsory for this program, however, it is recommended to submit the scores (minimum 300) for better a chance of admission.
Along with the minimum eligibility requirements, international students hailing from non-English speaking countries need to prove English proficiency through IELTS/TOEFL/any equivalent test to get admission to this program.
Required Document List
Following are the required documents:
- CV/Resume: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work, and/or volunteer experience.
- Online application form: Students have to submit an online application form at the official website.
- All post-secondary transcripts: Students have to submit all official documents containing student’s grades. Thus, post-secondary transcripts refer to undergraduate, graduate, medical school, law school, or other higher education transcripts.
- Three academic or professional references: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
- Statement of Intent: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
- Electronic Official transcripts: Submit copies of official transcripts from post-secondary institutions attended in PDF format.
- Personal Statement: It should include a brief overview of themselves, strengths, and any work experience and/or education that students have.
- A Credential evaluation report from WES Canada or ICES: If students have credentials from an institution outside of Canada or the United States, they must submit a credential evaluation report from WES Canada (course-by-course report) or ICES (comprehensive report).
- Statement of research interests: Student has to fill their interesting research work area in the application form.
- ELP Scores: Students have to submit their English language proficiency scores like IELTS, TOEFL, or other test scores.
|spring||Jul 31, 2020|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Book and Supplies||$1000||$1000||$1000|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Room And Board||$ 4755|
US News 2019
Ranked #482 / 600
Medicine [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|(ISC)² Women’s Cybersecurity Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Feb 19, 2021|
|Ontario Graduate Fellowship||$ 8459||Yes||N/A|
|Collegedunia $150 Scholarship Program||$ 150||Yes||N/A|
|QS Scholarship for Academic Excellence||$ 10000||Yes||Apr 30, 2021|
VISA & Work Study
- A Student VISA is required to study in Canada which allows to work and do research on-campus.
- The Student VISA is usually valid for the length of the study program, plus an extra 90 days.
- At the time of VISA application, students need to provide various documents:
- Application form and Study Plan
- Biometrics (fingerprints and photographs)
- Valid Passport
- Official SFU Acceptance Letter
- Financial Evidence
The Work-Study Program allows students to take part in research-based projects. Students may work on-campus and off-campus.
On-Campus: Work-Study is available during the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. Students will be awarded 140 Work-Study hours for a term. The hourly rate of pay is $15.20 per hour. It is possible to work on-campus with a work permit if the student meets the following requirements:
- Valid study permit that includes a condition stating Students may work on campus.
- Enrolled as a full-time student.
Off-Campus: Students are eligible to work off-campus and may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full time during scheduled breaks. Students are eligible to work off-campus without a work permit if they meet the following requirements:
- Valid study permit that includes a condition stating students may work off-campus.
- Enrolled in a program of 6 months or more that leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
- Enrolled as a full-time student.
Career and Placement after Course
Following are the Job opportunities for MSc Health Sciences students:
- Nursing Home Administrator
- Clinical Management
- Project Manager
- Occupational Health