Medicine Hat College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Named after its place of establishment, Medicine Hat College is a public, board governed comprehensive college located in Alberta, Canada. The college consists of two campus buildings. The main campus is located in Medicine Hat has an enrolment of around 2,800 students while the secondary campus located in Brooks has an enrolment of around 300 students.
Medicine Hat College (MHC) is driven by a ‘student-focus’ culture and is known for its innovative and collaborative qualities. Medicine Hat College offers programs in Adult learning, Certificates, Diploma, Bachelor Degree and online in the areas of Art and Design, Business Management, Communication, Education, Nursing, and paramedic amongst others.
The percentage of international students in Medicine Hat College stands at 11 percent. The majority of international students are from India (31%), Philippines (11%), Mexico and China.
- The college is ranked at #143 in Canada according to Uni page rankings.
- The global Uni page ranking of the college is # 6817.
- Medicine Hat College has a continental ranking of 2290, as per the Webometrics ranking of World Universities.
|Number Of Students||Around 2,800|
|Academic Calendar||Semester Based|
|Programs Offered||Certificate, Diploma, Degrees (Bachelors)|
|Financial Aid||Available In The Form Of Aids, Grants, And Scholarships|
Medicine Hat College Campus
- Medicine Hat College is located in the sunniest city of Canada. The campus is well positioned along the Trans Canadian Highway.
- The urban setting of the city has coalesced with short and affordable commute routes.
- The College provides various unique facilities like a daycare for children, peer tutoring, an on-campus pub and grill named Crave, health plans and dental plans, etcetera.
- The campus of Medicine Hat College is equipped with a multitude of fascinating outdoor spaces such as the Teahouse, the Teaching Garden, the Sunrise Rotary Trail, and the lake. The college also has designated smoking areas.
- The college has many student clubs, namely, MHC Gamers Guild, Visual Arts Students Society, Enactus MHC, Addiction Counseling Club to name a few.
- MHC is a member of the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference (ACAC) and its team Rattlers competes in four league sports – basketball, golf, soccer, and volleyball.
- The Brooks Campus is located 100 West of Medicine Hat and has a diverse, unique, and replenishing ambiance.
- Around 300 students live on the campus of Medicine Hat College which is at a 2 minutes walking distance from the classes.
- One can apply for residence at any time of the session, even before joining college. Applications are available on the website of the college.
- There are many off-campus housing options for international students in Canada as well.
- The main campus of Medicine Hat College has student residence comprising 74 townhouse units which can accommodate four single students each.
- Two townhouse units are reserved for students with mobile impairments.
- The Brooks campus student residence consists of eight four-bedroom units.
- The provision of residence is based on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Full-time students based in the periphery of Medicine Hat city may be given preference. Some units are available for differently-abled students as well.
- Each residence unit is air-conditioned and includes basic amenities like a fridge, stove, dryer, washer, internet connection, microwave, amongst other facilities. Bedrooms are furnished with desks, office chairs, extra-long beds, closet storage, and dustbins.
- The residence fee for regular or part-time students ranges from 2,224 – 2,440 CAD per semester, depending upon the type of room. The fee for Brooks student residence is around 2,200 CAD per semester.
- Students can also explore off-campus housing options listed on the official website of Medicine Hat College.
- The college offers 40 diploma and certificate programs, along with 25 university transfer programs, and a plethora of apprenticeship trades.
- The college offers certificates/diplomas/degrees mainly in Business, Business Administration, Technology, Science, Arts and Education, and Health.
- Medicine Hat College offers various programs like Nursing, Education, and Business programs also and students studying these can complete their Bachelor’s degree in these subjects, owing to MHC’s collaboration with the University of Calgary and Mount Royal University.
- The certificate programs allow students to train for a specific career and are of a 1-year duration.
- Applied degrees offered by the college combine academic excellence with on-the-job and practical training.
- The unique apprenticeship programs are a unique combination of on-the-job and technical training which provides certification.
- These trade programs are of 3-4 years duration.
International candidates who are interested in getting admission at Medicine Hat College should keep the following information in mind:
Application portal – Online
Application fee – 60 (Non-refundable)
Admission requirements for a diploma and certificate students-
- High school leaving certificate with relevant scores (depending upon the program)
- Official transcripts
- Specific subject requirements are associated with certain programs.
- Detailed grade and subject requirements are available on the website
- Some programs at Medicine Hat college enroll students on the basis of competitive exams, owing to a large number of applications.
- Admission to degree programs is determined by the partner universities.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 or above on a GPA scale of 4.0 is needed.
English Language Proficiency Test scores
|TEST||Minimum Required Scores|
International student Application Deadlines
- Applicants have to apply for a Canadian study visa after receiving the acceptance letter from the college.
Cost Of Attendance
The college has different fees for diploma, certificate and degree programs. Approximate Cost of tuition, fees, and other expenses are given below in the table for reference.
|Expense||Cost in CAD|
|Living Expenses (Food/Clothing/Transportation)||6,000-9,000|
|Books and material||1.500|
- MHC students receive over 1 million in awards, scholarships, and bursaries.
- Other than these, international students can seek funding to study in Canada from various other sources.
- Scholarships are based on academic standing, whereas bursaries are awarded on the basis of financial need. Moreover, some awards are a combination of both academics and financial necessity.
- To apply, a student simply needs to fill the online application form.
- Award and scholarship applications are accepted between March 1 to June 1.
- Students can also apply for external scholarships and bursaries sponsored by businesses and organizations.
- The provision of applying for student loans is also available.
- The college alumni maintain a connection through various platforms of social media and offer discounts at the college fitness club and bookstore.
- The alumni have collaborated with different insurance companies to provide discounted insurance policies and also cater for travel and accommodation discounts to its members.
- Notable alumni of the college include Tara Chisholm, Head coach of Canada women’s national ice sled hockey team; Ronnie Burkett, Puppeteer; Glen Motz, Canadian Politician; and Megan Nagy, Beach volleyball player.
- The Medicine Hat College Student Employment and Career Centre helps students explore job opportunities and career options. It also trains students in job searching skills.
- MHC hosts an annual Career Expo in the month of October which is attended by more than 70 employers/hiring companies.
- The Spring Job Fair, in February, attempts to provide job opportunities to students during the summer months.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Application Portal : https://www.mhc.ab.ca/Admission/Basics/AdmissionProcess
I got to know about Medicine Hat College through a friend who's sibling studied here. After going through the website and the Environmental science section, I decided to apply and paid an application fee of $60 (non-refundable). Having scored 82% in my high school (science stream), obtaining admission here became easy.
Course Curriculum :
Since I took up Renewable resource management, the course focused on making us understand every important topic right from the basics. Like how to manage renewable resources properly, the importance and vitality of resources, etc. It helped us gain an understanding of the principles of ecosystem management and their application.
I passionate to pursue business administration in order to gain a wide range of business knowledge. Also, my official documents, a financial support affidavit, and a copy of my resident card had been sent. I had to apply a form of immunization and a letter of good behavior. Apart from this, the application process was done online. A $60 application fee was also asked by the college.
Course Curriculum :
My college offers in its curriculum the following courses and subjects: Management Accounting, Business Plan Development, Global Business Environment, Operations Management, and Strategic Management. I am fully satisfied with the course curriculum and the pattern that is adopted for teaching business programs.
It was a smaller school that was closer to home. I attended a different school last year and the atmosphere was not good. People were stressed out all the time and since this was a smaller school I felt like it would have a better atmosphere
Course Curriculum :
I enjoy it since I can take courses that will eventually go towards my degree and there are lots of options. The classes are interesting and will benefit me in the future. The staff is also very helpful.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary