Medicine Hat College is a public, board-governed college located in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada. Established in the year 1965, the college is well-known for offering certificate, diploma, applied degree programs, University transfer, and collaborative undergraduate degree programs.
Why choose Medicine Hat College amongst the rest?
According to the graduate survey report of 2017, 98% of the students were reported to be satisfied with the overall quality of learning experiences at MHC. Some other reasons that make it a preferred college are:
Ranking and standing
- 2018 university ranking (international): 8809th in the world
- 2018 continental ranking: 2221st in the continent
- 2018 university ranking (national): 144th in Canada
- 2017 university ranking (international): 15011th in the world
- 2017 university ranking (national): 244th in Canada
- The funding for scholarships and bursaries is over $350,000 CAD.
- Has received NSERC eligibility.
- Undertakes the Community Renewable Energy Microgrid Demonstration Project in collaboration with the City of Medicine Hat, the APEX Regional Innovation Network, Blue Energy Solar Wind Canada INC., and Terralta Inc.
- 95% were satisfied with the quality of teaching
- 98% were satisfied with the relevance of their courses
- 55% were working while studying at MHC
- 81% are now employed
- 92% believe that their programs were worth the fees
|Terms||Education Costs||Canadian, US, and International|
|One Term (includes laundry, WiFi, Parking etc)||Tuition Fees||$5,700|
|Double room in residence||$1,525|
|Home-cooked meal service||$1,525|
|Student Service Fees||$250|
|Room & Board|
Explore the campuses of Medicine Hat College
Medicine Hat College has two campuses, namely:
- The main campus in Medicine Hat
- Brooks campus in Brooks
- Brooks campus offers the following types of programs only:
- Adult Learning
- Certificates and Diplomas
- Apprenticeship Trades
- Both of the campuses offer the following facilities:
- Explore of book facilities
- Food and catering
- Parking Services
- Library Services
- The on-campus housing facility offered by MHC is among the lowest priced in Alberta.
- Medicine Hat Residence contains 75 well-maintained townhouse units.
- Each unit has rooms for four single students.
- Two bungalow-style units are there to accommodate up to two students each with mobility impairments.
- All the residence complexes have access to the Community Room that offers a computer lab with Internet access, TV room equipped with DVD and sound system.
- Eight four-bedroom units are available in the Brooks Residence with shared common areas including the kitchen, living room, and bathrooms.
- Both the residences have the following features:
- Wi-Fi (included in rent fees)
- Washer & dryer (coin free)
- Stove and microwave
- Fridge and freezer
- Extra-long single beds
- Study desk, office chair, couch, chairs, lamp, kitchen table with chairs
- Pets are not allowed in the Medicine Hat College residences
- No parking fees are taken at the Brooks Residence
- The Student Residence Office assembles a list of off-campus housing facilities offered in the localities surrounding the college.
- Interested students are required to check the off-campus housing lists available on the college website.
Choose the right one from various programs offered
Total 6 types of programs are offered at Medicine Hat College. They are:
- Adult Learning-18 programs
- Apprenticeship Trades-13 programs
- Certificates and Diplomas-32 programs
- Degrees-9 programs
- Distributed Learning – online-5 programs
- University Transfer-18 programs
- Total four divisions of studies are there at MHC, namely:
- Arts - Education - Business
- Science and Health
- Trades and Technology
All you need to know about the application process
Students need to consider the following things while applying in Medicine Hat College:
- Alberta high school and post-secondary transcripts should be submitted by the local candidates.
- Students from outside of Alberta should talk to the authorized transcript department of their province or country. They must present official transcripts directly to the College.
- Photocopies or faxed copies of transcripts will not be accepted unless they are considered for provisional admission purposes where suitable
- Students having completed the Home Schooled or Home Education programs may need to appear for the Medicine Hat College Academic Assessment
- Alternatives such as the SAT or ACT exams, GCSE exams, or other official standardized exams may also be considered
International candidates are required to prove their English Language Proficiency.
- Successfully completing EAPI 099 at Medicine Hat College
- Successfully completing an Alberta Education English Language Arts course (or Canadian equivalent)
- A TOEFL iBT score of 79
- An IELTS with an overall band score of 6.0 minimum 5.5 in each band
- Equivalent English language exams (e.g. Pearson Test of English) at a satisfactory score.
- Completing a certified diploma or degree at a Canadian post-secondary institution where English is the main language of teaching
- A Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) with a minimum of 7 in each strand.
How, When and Where to Apply?
- Applications can be made online through the ApplyAlberta application system, available in the official website of the institute or offline by sending the correctly filled forms and the required documents to the Medicine Hat College Admissions Office
- For most programs, the application procedures commence:
- November 1 (for following fall semester)
- October 1 (for winter semester)
- February 1 (for spring semester)
- The international students can choose any of the two times for applying:
- September start - June 15
- January start – November 1
All the applicants (both Canadian and international) are required to submit the non-refundable application fee of $60 CAD.
What after you get admission?
- After receiving the acknowledgment letter and/or the letter of acceptance, the students need to submit a $100 CAD registration deposit to hold their place in the program chosen.
- Registration for classes should be made online using the mymhc.ab.ca (student information system) or offline at the Registration Office.
What it costs to study in Medicine Hat College
The tuition fees taken by MHC vary according to the type of programs and the nationality of the students. Below is the list carrying information about the course-specific fees to be paid by the national and international students:
|Course type||Students’ category||Fee|
|Credit-based||Canadian, Permanent Resident and Refugee Status Students||$ 117.00-$2,340.00 CAD|
|Visa Students||$ 321.75-$6,435.00 CAD||-|
|Mount Royal University Degree Partnership||Canadian, Permanent Resident and Refugee Status Students||$164.75-$494.25 CAD|
|Visa Students||$ 453.06-$1,359.18|
|Projected||Canadian, Permanent Resident and Refugee Status Students||$1,095.68|
|Medicine Hat Campus||Full or part-time students||Regular Bedroom (Golfview & Couleeview)||$545 CAD/ month or $2,180 CAD/ semester|
|- || -||Large Bedroom (Golfview only)||$590 CAD/month or $2,360 CAD/ semester|
|- ||- ||Parking (if required)||$130 CAD/ semester|
|- ||- ||Residence Life Fee||$35 CAD/ semester|
|- ||Apprenticeship students||Regular Room||$1,090 CAD (8 weeks)|
|- ||- ||Large Room (Golfview only)||$1,180 CAD (8 weeks)|
| -||- ||Parking (if required)||$75 CAD (8 weeks)|
|Brooks Campus||Full or part-time students||Regular Bedroom||$2,180 CAD/ semester|
| -||Apprenticeship students||Regular Bedroom||$1,090 CAD (8 weeks)|
Financial aids to help students fund their education
The Medicine Hat College Foundation, accompanied by the alumni and sponsors, governs a number of scholarships, awards and bursaries to help the students with financial support.
- All the scholarships, awards and bursaries applications are available through an online procedure on the Medicine Hat College website.
- In most cases, the applicants are required to be registered as full-time credit students taking at least nine credits each semester.
- In addition to that, three types of Athletic Scholarships are also given to the deserving candidates, such as:
- Jimmie Condon Scholarship (funded by Government of Canada)
- College scholarships (funded by college)
- Private scholarships (funded by various donors)
- Several other scholarship options can be checked from the college’s Scholarships-and-Bursaries portal
Perks of being a Medicine Hat College alumnus
All the alumni of MHC are provided with the following benefits:
- Free membership to the Campus Fitness Center
- Admission to all Rattlers home basketball and volleyball games at minimum fees
- 15% discount on clothing, giftware, stationery and art supplies at the Bookstore
- 10% discount at Crave, MHC's on-campus pub and grill
- Employment and Career Development Services
- Access to library services
- Discount offers in accommodation and travel
- Discounts on products and services offered by the campuses