North Island College (Comox Valley): Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1975, North Island College was initially an institute for distance education. At present, the College has grown into a vast network serving students from all across the world. The North Island College has four major campuses at Comox valley, Port Hardy, Campbell River and Port Alberni out of which Comox Valley campus is the largest one located in Courtenay, BC.
The college is responsible for delivering community programs across Vancouver Island’s west coast to Bella Coola. It is a comprehensive, community college serving more than 9,000 students every year through the programs offered on-campus, learning center, online and in-community learning. The College offers bachelor’s and associate degrees, diploma, certificates, etc.
|Location||Courtenay, British Columbia|
|Mode of Program||Full-time/ Part-time/ Online|
|Accepted English Proficiency Tests||TOEFL/ IELTS/ PTE|
|Student Retention Rate||95%|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, loans, bursaries|
|Admission Help Deskemail@example.com|
North Island College (Comox Valley) Campus
- North Island College has four campuses and a learning centre serving students across a geographical region of 80,000 square km.
- The Comox Valley campus is situated in the magnificent Vancouver Island on the western coast of Canada.
- The campus has six buildings among which Komoux Hall is the administrative building and home to the Stan Hagen Theatre.
- The campus houses a Shadbolt Studios which is a modern Trades Training Centre and the Stan Hagen Theatre which is located next to the Comox Valley Aquatic Centre and the Comox Valley Hospital.
- Tyee Hall has a bookstore, cafeteria, classroom and computer labs while Puntledge Hall has classrooms and offices for ecce, nursing education.
- Raven Hall has classrooms, science labs and classes for photography and the discovery hall contains a library, student services, registration and domestic students lounge.
- The campus has Wi-Fi facility and designated parking for students or employees.
- The campus is easily accessible by vehicle or by transit.
North Island College (Comox Valley) Residence
- North Island College does not have its own residential facilities.
- The College has partnered with Canada Homestay Network to provide homestay services to its students.
- Homestay facilities are available in Campbell River, Comox Valley and Port Alberni region.
- The homestay option provides students an opportunity to experience Canadian culture by living with a local family in a safe, home-like environment.
- The students can even search for rooms on Comox Valley Craigslist.
- Students who prefer to live independently may opt for renting an apartment, house or room.
- While figuring out the right accommodation option, students often require short-term accommodation. Therefore, the College offers affordable short-term accommodation in Campbell Rivers, Comox Valley Motels and Port Alberni Motels.
North Island College (Comox Valley) Courses
- North Island College offers more than 100 programs including degree, diploma and certificate level programs.
- Programs are mainly offered in the disciplines of Art, Science and Technology, Fine Art and Design, Health and Human Sciences, Business, Trades and Technical, and Tourism and Hospitality.
- The College also offers university studies and degree transfer programs.
- The duration of various programs ranges from 1 to 4 years depending on the level of study.
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting, General Management and Marketing is the only undergraduate degree program offered to international students.
North Island College (Comox Valley) Application Process
The intake months for courses offered by the North Island College are September, January and May. Students can apply online by submitting an application fee via credit card. Students from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Nigeria are required to find an authorized agent of the college in their home country and complete the application process with his/ her assistance.
How to Apply?
While applying for admission to the North Island College (Comox Valley), students can either upload supporting documents through the application or scan all documents and compile it as a single PDF file and send it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Portal: Online Application
Application Fee: 100 CAD
Admission Requirements: International applicants must submit the following documents along with the application:
- Official high school transcripts or grade cards.
- Credentials from post-secondary institutions attended such as certificate, diploma, degree.
- Copy of signature page of passport
- English language proficiency test scores:
- Minimum IELTS score: 6.0
- Minimum TOEFL score: 80
- Program-specific requirements
- Any documents not issued in English must be submitted along with third party evaluation.
- CBSE high school graduates from India must submit a copy of the admit card.
North Island College (Comox Valley) Cost of Attendance
- The cost of studying at any institution in Canada mainly comprises the tuition fee, books and supplies, health insurance, cost of living in Canada, etc.
- The cost of attendance for international students attending North Island College is as follows:
|Expense||Amount per year (in CAD)|
|Books and Supplies||2,000|
North Island College (Comox Valley) Scholarships/Financial Aid
- North Island College offers financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants and loans.
- The College has Financial Aid Advisors that help students to explore funding options and understand the application process.
- Students can also save up to 10,000 CAD by transferring to another university after completing one year at NIC.
- StudentAidBC provides detailed information regarding financial aid options for international students.
- The student line of credit is a form of student loan awarded by a financial institution. Students require a co-signer preferably a Canadian citizen to avail such loans/
North Island College (Comox Valley) Alumni Network
- North Island College has a strong and diverse alumni network spread across the world.
- The College keeps data of its alumni and helps them to get an internship or job through its career central page.
- Few notable alumni of the College are:
- Sarah Bergeron - a rising star in the Vancouver Island art community.
- Tina Tang - well-known chef in Canada
North Island College (Comox Valley) Placements
North Island College provides placement services to their students. NIC's career central page has a lot of resources for students which would help them in getting through interviews successfully. The College gives prospective employers an option to post jobs on the CareerCentral page. NIC's career central page also provides a lot of resources to its students in terms of networking, resume building, interview preparation, etc. Online Math and English placement exams are available for students using ACCUPLACER, an online placement tool.
FIND A PROGRAM
QS World University
RANKED #351 - #400
I chose this college because it was welcoming. I applied to different colleges but after interacting with representatives from the various colleges, I felt most welcome at North Island College. Also, Vancouver Island is a beautiful place, the city of Courtenay isn't too busy which is very important especially when you are coming to a new place for the first time. I also applied here because the school has the most promising list of scholarships.
It's great. I enjoy every single course on the program, especially Biology. The course content/curriculum is awesome.
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary