St. Thomas University 2021 Admissions: Entry Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Located in the city of Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, St. Thomas University in Fredericton, New Brunswick is primarily an undergraduate University specialising in liberal arts education. It offers more than 30 Bachelor of Arts degree programs that range from English, Political Science, Psychology to Criminal Arts, Human Rights and Journalism. The University offers post degree programs in Education and Social Work that perfectly complements its undergraduate programs. Students are also provided with experiential learning opportunities such as practicums, internships, field work, lab work, travel-study and service learning. This enables students to apply their academic knowledge in a practical setting.
STU focuses on a close-knit learning environment where each student is given personal support when needed by the faculty members. The average number of students in a class is 27 and 60 being the maximum number of students. The university also welcomes international students who constitute around 11% of the total student population.
St. Thomas University invited admission in January and September of every year. International Applicants are required to submit applications and supporting documents by June 1 for September admission and October 1 for January admission. It does accept applications post these dates on a space availability basis.Candidates applying to St. Thomas University must demonstrate academic strength and standing equivalent to a Canadian applicant in a high school/College, University preparatory course equivalent with a Canadian Institution with subject Distribution and other minimum requirements. Additionally, they must also meet the country specific requirements. Apart from high school grades, the university will also take into consideration academic achievement and rank in class while making admission decisions.
- Applications are made through Common Application and require an application fee of 55 CAD.
- Application Deadlines vary for International and Domestic applicants.
- The University doesnt ask for GRE/GMAT or SAT scores
International applicants can apply to the St. Thomas University through the Common Application Portal. Applicants must fill in the Common App screen as well as the Member Specific Application screen.
|Application Portal||University Website or the Common Application|
|Application Fees||Bachelor Degree: 55 USD|
|Mode of Payment||Online Payment|
|English proficiency tests accepted||TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB|
|International Application Deadlines||Undergraduate: September Admission: June 1 January Admission: October 1|
|Scholarship consideration deadline||March 1|
|Admission Interview||Not conducted|
|Prior work experience||Not required|
|Scholarship for international students||Available|
St. Thomas University Application Deadlines
International students must apply prior to the deadlines to avoid having insufficient time to obtain a student visa and other authorizations. The processing time at embassies can take up to three months.International and national students applying for undergraduate courses must make a note of the following deadlines to complete the applications on time.
|High School Applicants|
|Bachelor of Arts||August 31, 2021|
|Bachelor of Applied Arts||February 15, 2021|
|Bachelor of Social Work||April 30, 2021|
|Post-degree Program Applicants|
|Master of Social Work||May 30, 2021|
|Post Degree Bachelor of Education||January 15, 2021|
|January semester||October 1|
|September semester||June 1|
International Admissions Process at St. Thomas University
The institute provides more than four courses in a Bachelor’s degree with diverse majors to particularize in. All the students at Bachelor of Arts study conventional regimens like English, Political science, and Psychology here.
- Requisitions can be made online via the University official website and the common application.
- 70% of average marks are requisite in high school to apply for admission.
- Application fee: CAD 55
- Some bachelor programs are only provided to candidates who are already graduates.
International candidates are recommended to send their proposals as early as they can for visa authorizations. Admission requirements for international applicants are the same as for the domestic ones, except for some mentioned below:
- Candidates must have passed English Proficiency test via TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB.’
- Test scores must be submitted directly to the Official admission portal.
- ETS number of St. Thomas University is 0803
English Language Requirements for St. Thomas University
English Proficiency test scores must be deposited on the official website of the Admission Office by the testing department.
Students with the scores below are eligible to take five regular academic courses but may take integrated and assisted courses if they wish:
|Scores (Minimum Required)||English Proficiency Test|
|C or higher||CEQ|
However, students who meet the following minimum English Language Proficiency scores and the St. Thomas academic admission requirements are eligible for the ESL program:
St. Thomas University Country Specific Requirements
Here are the country-specific requirements for some countries for admission to St. Thomas University:
An average of 70% in five academic courses in Year 12 or Indian senior secondary examination held by the Central Board of Secondary Education and Indian School Certificate. Competitive results in Year 12 exam held by state boards will also be accepted
Higher secondary certificate
Average of 50% or greater in five academic courses in Higher Secondary School Certificate
Competitive scores in Chinese National University Entrance Examination and Senior High School Graduation Examination
An Overall average of 70% in Senior High School Certificate and Transcripts of grade 10, 11 and 12.
St. Thomas University Undergraduate Admissions
Applicants applying for undergraduate programs must meet all the standards of the following admission requirements:
- Application Expense: CAD 55
- Where to Apply: University official website and Common Application Portal.
- Admission Demands: The Following are the supportive docs that are needed for the admission of the applicant.
- English proficiency test results report sent directly to the testing center.
- Senior candidates must submit a letter describing their educational background, work experience, and academic plans.
- Graduated applicants must submit their academic transcripts(for instance- GED, or high school).
- Original or certified transcripts of academic school records and diplomas and certificates.
- Some courses are offered to high school graduates while some (B.Ed and BSW) require a Bachelor’s degree for the admission process.
- Below are the available programs and requirement for admission to each:
- Bachelor of Arts: Open to high school applicants, transfer applicants, returning students, and adult learners.
- Bachelor of Applied Arts: Consist of concentrations in Criminal Justice, Gerontology, or Journalism and is open to high school applicants, transfer applicants, returning students, and adult learners.
- Bachelor of Education: Applicants must either hold a bachelor's degree from a recognized university or be a candidate for the degree by May 15 in their year of application.
- Bachelor of Social Work: Applicants must either hold a bachelor's degree from a recognized university or be a candidate for the degree by May 15 in their year of application.
- Class 12 students, who have achieved an average of 70% or higher on five Class 11 academic courses (including English literature) and whose Class 12 programs satisfy the university’s subject distribution requirements, will receive conditional offers of admission during the first semester of their senior year.
- Applicants who wish to be considered under this policy may, beginning in October, submit their high school transcript showing Class 11 (junior year) final grades, as well as first- and second-term Class 12 (senior year) courses directly to the Admissions Office by December.
International applicants must demonstrate academic strength in a high school program of college/university preparatory courses with subject distribution, other minimum requirements, and academic standing comparable to that required of Canadian applicants. Criteria such as academic achievement and rank in class will also be considered in admission decisions.
St. Thomas University Admission to Post Degree Courses
St. Thomas University offers two graduate level degree programs - Post degree in Education and Masters degree in Social Work. The course specific entry requirements for these two programs have been given below:
Post Degree Bachelor in Education
Students applying to St. Thomas University for Post Degree Programs must meet the following requirements -
Candidates should have a four year bachelor’s degree from a recognised university
They must hold a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.7.
Students must be eligible for Level 5 teacher certification with the Department of Education, New Brunswick which includes a four-year undergraduate degree of 120 credit hours.
Application fee - CAD 55
Duly filled in application form
Letter of intent which should include students’ teaching preference and resume
Three letters of recommendation
Official Transcripts of marks sent directly from the university/college to the admissions office.
Note: Admission to St. Thomas University Post Degree programs are stringent and enrolment is limited. Hence, students can take measures to improve their application. This includes volunteer experience in school as well as judicious selection of referees.
Masters degree in Social Work
Students applying for Masters degree in Social Work at St. Thomas University must meet the following requirements -
Bachelor degree in social work from a recognised University with a minimum GPA of 3.5 out of a 4.3 scale.
Minimum 1500 hour or one year of work experience in social work. The work can be paid or voluntary but it must be co-op, practicum or field placement.
Documents Required: -
Resume containing detailed description of work experience
Two letters of Reference sent directly to the admissions office by the referees
Duly filled in Application form
Official transcripts from an accredited bachelors in Social Work program
Note: Students should note that the admission to Masters in Social Work at STU is extremely competitive as enrolment is limited to only 16 students. Hence, satisfying only the minimum requirements as mentioned here will not be enough to guarantee admission.
Ques. Will Spring Convocation still take place in May?
Ans. Spring Convocation has been postponed. We will discuss numerous details as they become available.
Ques. Will intersession and summer session be affected by this?
Ans. Intersession and Summer Session courses will be delivered remotely. There is a tremendous range of courses available to students and each course is being designed with flexible delivery models that may be appealing to your schedule. These courses help to fulfill Bachelor of Arts degree majors/minors/group credit requirements or a required teachable for admission to the School of Education.
Ques. When will upper-year students be able to register for the 2020-2021 academic year?
Ans. Upper-year course registration has been rescheduled, and will run Friday, March 27 through Tuesday, March 31. Learners with 84+ potential credit hours* are able to register at 8:00 am on Friday, March 27. Applicants with 48+ potential credit hours* could have access to register at 8:00 am March 30. All remaining candidates will be able to register at 8:00 am, Tuesday, March 31. First-year course registration dates have not been set.
Ques. To what programs can I apply to, at St Thomas University?
Ans. The programs offered are Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Applied Arts, Bachelor of Education, and Bachelor of Social Work. The university also offers certificate programs and study abroad programs.
Ques. What are the application deadlines for International Students?
Ans. International Applicants are required to submit applications and supporting documents by June 1 for September admission and October 1 for January admission.
Ques. Can I apply after the application deadlines?
Ans. It does accept applications post these dates on a space availability basis.
Ques. What are the minimum English Language Proficiency requirements to be eligible for St Thomas University admissions?
Ans. International applicants need a 6.5 band on IELTS or 89 on TOEFL IBT.
Ques. How can I apply to St Thomas University?
Ans. Applications are made through Common Application and require an application fee of 55 CAD.
Ques. As a current international student with a valid study permit, can I return to Canada for the Fall semester even if courses are online?
Ans. Yes, as long as your Study Permit and passport are still valid.
Ques. Will students be offered a Pass/Fail grading option?
Ans. Yes. Bachelor of Arts students is able to opt for a Pass/Fail grading option.
Ques. What are the minimum grade requirements to be eligible for St Thomas University admissions?
Ans. Applicants from High School needs an average of 70% to be eligible for admissions.