Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Computer Science)
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- The Bachelor of Science(B.Sc) in Computer Science is a 4-year degree at the University of British Columbia(UBC).
- The students will be learning about how to use and improve computers and explore topics such as databases and operating systems, software engineering, security, web development, and numerical methodology.
- The Student can take courses like Machine Learning and Data Mining, Parallel Computation, and Advanced Algorithms Design and Analysis.
- Many of this program graduates are in positions like
- Machine learning developer, IBM
- Software engineer intern, Amazon
- Software development intern, Microsoft
- Computer scientist, Simba Technologies
- Data scientist, Google
- The student can build a career through experiences in Science Co-op and Tri-Mentoring, and network with Vancouver’s tech community.
- The student to faculty ratio is 18:1 which bridges the gap between faculty and students.
- The average salary of the graduates after getting placed is 70,000 USD – 80,000 USD.
- The University of British Columbia ranked as the 45th best university in the world in the QS World University Rankings..
|Degree Type Offered||Bachelor|
|Fees||$ 136744 for 4 years|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||fall (Deadline - Jan 15)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Graduation from high school
- Minimum of 70% in Grade 11 or Grade 12 English (or their equivalents)
- At least six academic/non-academic Grade 12 courses (recommended, but not required)
- The subjects required are Grade 12 English, Pre-Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, or Physics, Grade 11 Chemistry, Physics.
Indian Student Eligibility:
- Graduation from a university-preparatory program at a senior secondary school and Higher Secondary School Certificate awarded on completion of Standard XII.
- The subjects required are Math (Standard XII), Chemistry (Standard XII), Physics (Standard XII)
- Physics may be waived with grades of A in Senior Math and Senior Chemistry.
Required Document List
The Documents required are:
- Higher Secondary School Certificate - The certificate provided by the education board after completion of the Higher secondary education.
- Statement of marks - The marks statement provided by the education board.
- Financial Documentation - The Proof that shows the financial background of the student.
- Letter of Recommendation - This shows who recommended the student to pursue the degree.
- Statement of Purpose - This is an essay or any written statement written by the student while applying.
- Resume/CV - This provides a summary of your experience and skills.
|fall||Jan 15, 2022|
Closed for application
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4|
|Books and Supplies||$1508||$1508||$1508||$1508|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Room and Board||$ 12375|
QS World University 2020
Ranked #25 / 600
Computer Science and Engineering [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|UBC Vantage One Excellence Award||Variable||Yes||Dec 1, 2020|
|Philip L. Brocking Award||Variable||Yes||Apr 30, 2020|
|Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award||Variable||Yes||Dec 1, 2020|
|UBC Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award||Variable||Yes||Dec 1, 2020|
|Program||Delivery Type||Duration||Program Type||Tution Fees|
|B.Sc Computer Science||full time||4 years||honours, co-op||$32204|
|B.Sc Computer Science and Mathematics||full time||4 years||honours, co-op,on-campus||$32204|
|B.Sc Computer Science and Microbiology & Immunology||full time||5 years||honours, co-op||$32204|
|B.Sc Computer Science and Physics||full time||4 years||honours, co-op,on-campus||$32204|
|B.Sc Computer Science and Statistics||full time||4 years||co-op||$32204|
VISA & Work Study
- Student Visa and Visitor Visa (Optional) is required to study in Canada.
- The student visa is a document that the Canadian government issues that allow foreign nationals to study at institutions in Canada.
- A student visa is usually valid for the length of the student’s study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days lets the student prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend their stay.
- The cost of the student visa is 112 USD.
- The students need these documents to apply for a student visa:
- Proof of acceptance i.e The offer letter that the student received from the university.
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support i.e Documents showing the financial status.
- Student Visa Process:
- Apply for admission with a DLI, pay the tuition fees, and receive an acceptance letter from the DLI.
- Check if a study permit is required. eTA is required for all international applicants who wish to travel to Canada.
- Prepare all the documents required for applications
- Purchase GIC
- Apply for the applications
- Undertake the medical exams
- Schedule biometric appointment and interview.
- Students can work for 20 hours per week during the regular academic year and full-time during scheduled breaks.
- If their program does not have scheduled breaks, the students will be limited to working 20 hours per week.
- An immigration officer may apply conditions on the type of work students may perform.
- For example, they must pass an immigration medical examination before they begin work in health care, child care, or primary or secondary education.
Career and Placement after Course
The Job roles after completing these programs are:
- Application Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Games Developer
- Information Systems Manager
- IT Consultant
- Systems Analyst
- Web Designer.., etc.
I had applied to multiple universities and got acceptance from few of them. Among those I opted for this university because of its diversity and incredible infrastructure. My fees of application was $80 and the selection procedure consisted of several rounds followed by an interview.
Course Curriculum :
Just like traditional subjects in computer science stream, I had all the common subjects which should be in a standard course but I had some advance subjects also in my curriculum which enhanced my skill set up to a next level.
Mainly because of its research community, I chose this university. The choices for placement after my field of study are outstanding. During college time, we can choose between several different fields and can also discover ourselves. The college accepted a large number of international students with cultural diversity and the program was completely affordable.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum of the course is advanced and up-to-date, covering a range of fields in the area of computer science. In nearly every subject, in-depth expertise with practical experience is provided. Students of several professors have access to study resources. Occasionally, business tours also take place.
I choose this university because of the vast variety of specializations it offers in the field of computer science. One can explore many possibilities and choose a career of their interest in the same place where he discovers his passion. The university has a world ranking of 44 and has high reputation and makes a person skilled enough to be job ready after graduation.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum includes all the fields of computer science. One can specialize in any domain like machine learning, robotics, artificial intelligence, software development. Both introductory and advanced level courses in each domain are available. The course syllabus is relevant enough to get a person a decent job after graduation.
I chose this university because of its faculties and reputation all over the globe. It's one of the high-ranking universities with great placement opportunities and many big companies like google, amazon, Microsoft, SAP visit the campus. Research opportunities and culture are great. The university also provides co-op opportunities after completing one year of the degree program which helps gain experience even while studying.
Course Curriculum :
Course curriculum lets students explore many different fields of computer science. One can major in software development, machine learning, cybersecurity, and even artificial intelligence. Research culture is the main reason why students at UBC excel. They can choose the topic of research and the research paper is published by the university and it helps a lot of students get placed after completing their degrees. Practical exposure is provided through specialization projects for each course.