University of Quebec at Rimouski: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The University of Quebec (UQAR) was first established in 1969 and has campuses located in Rimouski and Levis. It is a public French-language university, which offers programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. Certificate programs, specialized diploma programs and short-time programs are also offered. The university has a total strength of around 6,700 students.
|Type of University||Public|
|Year of Establishment||1969|
University of Quebec - at Rimouski Rankings
- Ranked #39 in Top Universities in Canada-2019 by uniRank Rankings.
- Ranked #52 in Canadian Universities List-2020 by Webometrics.
- Ranked #561- 570 in QS Global World Ranking-2020.
University of Quebec- at Rimouski Campus
UQAR has two campuses, the main campus located in Rimouski and another campus in Levis. Some of the facilities available on campus include libraries, eateries, cafeterias, an early childhood centre (EPC), help centre for success (CAR) and much more.
- Various student groups are recognized at UQAR including a general association, special interest groups, and program committees for students registered in a specific field of study. There are 3 student newspapers- a magazine for geography students, a journal for history students and a literary review called Character.
- Events such as a university competition featuring the performance arts, talent shows and a gala featuring para-academic activities are regularly organized at UQAR.
- Students can explore the culture and history of the city at the Pointe-au-Pere Maritime Historic Site, the Bic National Park, the Canyon of the Gates of Hell and various other places of interest.
- Around 2,780 students at the undergraduate level attend full time while 2,867 students are registered part-time. Around 12.5% of freshman students are international students.
Residence Facilities at University of Quebec - at Rimouski
On-campus and off-campus accommodation are available at UQAR. The 5 buildings can accommodate a total of 314 students. Students are required to share apartments but have their own bedrooms.
- All apartments are fully furnished and have four bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen and a bathroom.
- Each bedroom is furnished with a bed, a mattress cover, a bedside table, a work desk and chair, a wardrobe, shelves and drawers and a mirror.
- Common washer, dryer and ironing facilities are available in each building along with storage facilities. Other amenities available include a post office box, internet and phone connection, paid parking etc.
- Special 3 bedroom apartments are available for students with reduced mobility and other disabilities.
Programs offered at University of Quebec- at Rimouski, Canada
University of Quebec- at Rimouski offers programs in 150 areas in 11 faculties and 9 areas of study. Study areas include mathematics, computer science, engineering, marine sciences, management sciences etc.
- Popular programs studied here include Nordicity, psycho-sociology, business arts, marine sciences etc.
- A specialized graduate diploma (DESS) is also available along with other short graduate programs in engineering, project management, business development etc.
- Certificate programs are available in business administration, finance, marketing etc.
International students who want to seek admissions at University of Quebec- at Rimouski can follow the below-mentioned application process:
- Application Portal: Official University Website (Online & Paper Applications accepted)
- Application Fee: 52 CAD (non-refundable)
- Student Class Profile:
- Total Enrolment: 6,700 Full time Undergraduate Enrolment: 2,780; Full time Graduate Enrolment: 646
- Part-time Undergraduate Enrolment: 2,867; Part-time Graduate Enrolment: 508
- Male to Female student ratio: 32 to 68
- Minimum GPA required: Not specified
- French Language Proficiency Test Scores: Required for international students
- General Admission Requirements: Completed Application, high school transcripts, French language proficiency test scores, birth certificate
- Additional Requirements for Graduate Level Applicants: Letter of Motivation, 3 letters of recommendation, college degree, resumes.
- Minimum Score Required for French Proficiency: TF1- 750; TCF- B2
Cost of Attendance
An estimate of the tuition and living expenses of an international student at UQAR is provided below. The specific tuition charged from a student depends upon the courses taken up by him/ her in a semester.
|Type of Expense||Cost (CAD)|
|Tuition Fee (for international students)||6,743.62|
|Accommodation||4,740 per year|
|Food & Hygiene||3,600 per year|
|One time cost of arrival||2,850|
|Books and Supplies||700 per year|
|Telephone Charges||660 per year|
|Health Insurance||950 per year|
|Personal & Miscellaneous||2,100 per year|
Students are required to produce a bank statement or its equivalent showing the ability to finance their studies in order to receive a student visa.
Scholarships & Financial Aid for International Students
The university does not offer any scholarships to specifically host international students. However, they may apply for certain fellowship & scholarship programs.
- Fellowship in Oceanography (1,000- 1,300 CAD): Fellowship application required to be submitted.
- Bachelor’s Bursaries (500- 2,500 CAD): No additional application is required to be considered for the bursary.
- Master’s Scholarship (1,000- 2,000 CAD): No additional application required.
- Various External Scholarships are also available including the Canadian Wildlife Foundation Grants Program (2,000- 15,000 CAD) and the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program (up to 10,000 CAD).
Famous alumni members of the institute include Canadian politician Jean Domingue, reputed doctor Isabelle Theberge and Oceanographer Boucar Diouf. The alumni services department arranges meetings and networking events for alumni members.
The university offers online internship and employment services to students, the details of which may be found on the university website.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary