Master of Science [M.Sc] (Mathematics and Statistics)
Course & Thesis Based
Offered by Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies, University of Ottawa
International Student Tution
- Master of Science in Mathematics and Statistics is a 2 years program at the University of Ottawa.
- The university offers a rich academic environment to study mathematics and statistics under the supervision of professors who have gained an international reputation for their research.
- In this course, most major fields of research in mathematics and statistics are represented within the department of mathematics and Statistics.
- The graduate program in mathematics and statistics has been under the umbrella of the Ottawa-Carleton Institute of Mathematics and Statistics (OCIMS).
- This program is taught in English.
- International students enrolled in a French-language program of study may be eligible for a differential tuition fee exemption.
- The International Outlook of this Program is 89.6%.
- The student to teacher ratio is 12:1 which helps increase in interaction between professors and students.
- The majority of the classes have 20 students which boost Students Performance.
- The Salary of the graduates will be between 38,322 USD - 50,358 USD.
- The Employment rate after graduation is 92.8%.
- To apply for any Scholarship a student must have at least 80% marks.
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Applicants have a bachelor’s degree with a specialization or a major in mathematics and statistics (or equivalent) with a minimum average of 75% (B+).
- Need to have maintained a CGPA of at least 7.7/10 to be invited for an interview.
- The students must be able to understand and fluently speak the language of instruction (French or English) in the program. Proof of linguistic proficiency may be required at the time of admission.
- The students whose official language is not English must submit the English Language Proficiency scores like IELTS or TOEFL.
Indian Student Eligibility:
- The students must have completed 10th and intermediate i.e 12th grade which has mathematics courses with 70% marks.
- Have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum admission average of B+ (75%).
- Applicants need to have maintained a CGPA of at least 7.7/10 to be invited for an interview.
Required Document List
The Documents required are:
- Higher Secondary School Certificate - The marks statement provided by the education board after completion of the higher secondary education.
- Financial Documentation - The Proof that shows the financial background of the student.
- Letter of Recommendation - This shows who recommended the student to pursue the degree.
- Statement of Purpose - This is an essay or any written statement written by the student while applying.
- Resume/CV - This provides a summary of the experience and skills of the student.
- English Language Requirement Scores like TOEFL, IELTS,..etc.
6.5 / 9
Avg. Score in
80 / 120
Avg. Score in
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Years||Year 1||Year 2|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Living expenses||$ 2,990|
Academy Ranking of World Universities 2020
Ranked #301/ 500
Mathematics [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarship|| $10,847 || Yes || N/A |
|BrokerFish International student scholarship|| $1,000 || Yes || 21 Dec, 2020 |
|VueVille Future Technology Scholarship|| $1,000 || Yes || 30 Sep, 2020 |
|Debesh Kamal Scholarship|| $1,385 || Yes || 30 Apr, 2020 |
|JN Tata Endowment Scholarship|| Variable || Yes || 09 Mar, 2020 |
|Bharat Petroleum Scholarship 2020|| Variable || Yes || N/A |
|Paul Foundation scholarships|| $20,174 || Yes || N/A |
|Forktip Women’s- Innovation Scholarship|| Variable || Yes || 30 Aug, 2020 |
|(ISC)² Women’s Cybersecurity Scholarships|| Variable || Yes || 19 Feb, 2021 |
|FINCAD Women in Finance Scholarship|| $20,000 || Yes || N/A |
|Ontario Graduate Fellowship|| $8,459 || Yes || N/A |
|Aga khan Foundation Scholarships|| Variable || Yes || 31 Mar, 2020 |
|Ellis R. Ott Scholarship for Applied Statistics and Quality Management|| Variable || Yes || 01 Apr, 2020 |
|Collegedunia $150 Scholarship Program|| $150 || Yes || N/A |
|Go Clean Scholarship|| $3,500 || Yes || 31 Dec, 2020 |
VISA & Work Study
- Student Visa and Visitor Visa (Optional) are required to study in Canada.
- The Student visa is a document that the Canadian government issues that allow foreign nationals to study at institutions in Canada.
- A student visa is usually valid for the length of the student’s study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days lets the student prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend their stay.
- The cost of the student visa is 113 USD.
- The students need these documents to apply for a study permit:
- Proof of acceptance i.e The offer letter that the student received from the university.
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support i.e Documents showing the financial status.
The Work-Study Program gives the student a chance to work On-campus if the student is a full-time student:
- Work Part-time during the academic year to earn around 2,250 USD.
- Work Full time during the summer months to earn close to 4,500 USD.
The Applications are to be submitted on the university page for the future work term.
- Spring/Summer term - March 14 to June 13
- Fall term - August 1 to October 10
- Winter term - December 1 to January 31
Some jobs available on campus are:
- Student ambassador
- Student mentor
- Research assistant
- Assistant editor
- Assistant fundraising officer
- Theatre costume assistant