Hospitality is an interdisciplinary subject which deals with the skills required to manage and develop business in the customer service fields like hotels, restaurants, cruises. Hospitality colleges in Canada offer undergraduate, graduate, diploma, graduate certificate and doctorate degrees in hospitality and tourism courses. There are around 32 universities in Canada providing hospitality courses and among them, 2 are among the top 50 universities in the QS Global Rankings in this field. These top ranking Canadian universities are University of Waterloo and Sait Polytechnic- School of Hospitality and Tourism
- In 2017, as recorded by Smith Travel Research (Tennessee based), the international arrivals to Canada rose to 4.2%. This rise in international arrivals leads to a steady rise in occupancy rate to 65.9%, the biggest rise since 2000.
- Hospitality and Tourism industry in Canada supports 1.8 million jobs across the country.This sector contributes to havoc for the steady economic growth of the country.
- Canada greeted 18.6 million international arrivals, in the months between January to October 2018, an increase of 1.2% as compared to 2017.This created various job opportunities for graduates in this field.
- There is an expected annual demand growth rate of 2.4% in the hospitality and tourism industry in Canada by 2024. Thus creating around 2,840 job openings.
- In recent years it has been seen that the hospitality and tourism industry has the highest demand for jobs as reported by Jobsincanada.com
Top Hospitality Colleges in Canada
Hospitality courses in Canada are in high demand. Hospitality colleges in Canada offer undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs. A benefit of studying in Canada is that there are several certificate courses and diploma courses offered which prepare students for the hospitality industry in less time. Listed below are some of the top universities in hospitality in Canada and the courses they offer:
|University||Rank QS||Courses offered|
|University of Waterloo||32||Bachelor, Graduate and Doctorate|
|Sait Polytechnic – School of Hospitality and Tourism||35||Bachelor, 2 Diploma|
|Humber College||NA||Bachelor, Graduate Certificate, 4 Diploma|
|Thompson Rivers University||NA||Bachelor,7 Diploma (5 Post Bachelor),|
|Royal Roads University||NA||Bachelor, Graduate Certificate, Graduate|
Hospitality Courses Canada: Degree type and Specialisations
Hospitality colleges in Canada offer a BA, B.Com, diploma, advanced diploma degrees in bachelor level. MA, Post Baccalaureate Diploma, Graduate Certificate degrees in Graduate level and Doctorate in Philosophy degree at the doctorate level. Students are taught skills that are required to develop business and customer interaction in the hotel and tourism industry. Hospitality courses in Canada are internationally recognized with the flexible course structure and various specializations. Some of the specializations international students can choose from are:
- Tourism Management
- Leisure and Events Management
- International Facility Management
- Culinary Management
- Global Tourism Management
- Resort and Hotel Management
- Baking and Pastry Arts Management
- Hotel Operations Management
- Food and Beverage Management.
Hospitality Colleges in Canada: Undergraduate Courses
With a large number of hospitality colleges in Canada offering a bachelor’s degree students can either opt for a full-time degree or a certificate or diploma degree. Students can directly get jobs in the hotel and tourism industry after their bachelor courses. Here are some of the colleges and their courses discussed in detail:
|University||Courses Offered||Duration (in years)||Fees per year in CAD|
|University of Waterloo||BA in Tourism Development||4||26,475|
|Sait Polytechnic- School of Hospitality and Tourism||Bachelor in Hospitality and Tourism Management||4||14,915|
|Humber College||B.Com in Hospitality and Tourism Management||4||12,111|
|Thompson Rivers University||Bachelor in Tourism Management||4||12,978|
|Royal Roads University||BA in Global Tourism Management||4||17,280|
Hospitality in Canada is an interdisciplinary course and hence universities offer various diploma courses for students not willing to pursue a full-time bachelor course in the subject. Here are some of the colleges providing diploma courses in Hospitality:
|University||Course Offered||Duration||Fees per annum in CAD|
|Sait Polytechnic- School of Hospitality and Tourism||Diploma in Hospitality Management||2||13,117|
|Diploma in Travel and Tourism||2||11,950|
|Humber College||Diploma in Hospitality- Hotel and Restaurant Operations Management||2||10,163|
|Diploma in Recreation and Leisure||2||10,275|
|Diploma in Tourism- Travel Services Management||2||10,455|
|Diploma in Hospitality- Event Management||2||10,267|
|Thompson Rivers University||Diploma in Resort and Hotel Management||2||12,978|
|Diploma in Tourism Management||2||12,978|
Eligibility for Bachelors in Hospitality in Canada
To study a Bachelor Degree in Hospitality in Canada, applicants are required to fulfill eligibility requirements as international students. Some of these are as follows:
- Minimum of 60% in the higher secondary exam.
- Some colleges demand a minimum of 65% in English in class 12 examination.
- English language proficiency test ( IELTS- a minimum band of 6.5, TOEFL- minimum 90)
- Official Transcripts
- Language Tests (IELTS, TOEFL)
- Statement of purpose
- writing samples or Letter of Recommendation (LOR) from a professional in the same field.
Fees for Bachelors in Hospitality in Canada
A Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality in Canada is offered by 32 colleges in the country. The average fees of hospitality courses in Canada range from 14,000 CAD to 36,000 CAD per year.
Hospitality Colleges in Canada: Postgraduate Courses
A master’s degree in Hospitality in Canada is a 1-2 year program that prepares the students for leadership positions in the hospitality and tourism industry. There is no specific undergraduate degree required to pursue a master’s in hospitality, but students with a graduate degree in hospitality will always be preferred by the universities during admission. Some of the universities offering postgraduate degrees and their details are below:
|University||Courses offered||Duration||Fees per year (in CAD)|
|University of Waterloo||MA in Recreation and Leisure Studies||2||10,563|
|Royal Roads University||MA in Tourism Management||2||12,254|
|Dalhousie University||MA in Leisure Studies||2||13,305|
Postgraduate in Hospitality in Canada is more popular as Post-Baccalaureate Diploma degrees over a masters degree offered by various universities. Some of the colleges providing PG-diploma are tabulated here:
|University||Course offered||Duration||Annual Fees in CAD|
|Thompson Rivers University||Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Adventure Studies||1||11,988|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Tourism Experience Management||2||11,988|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Tourism||1||11,988|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma Tourism Destination Development||2||11,988|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma Tourism Innovation and Entrepreneurship||2||11,988|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma Tourism Managing Festivals and Events||2||11,664|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma Tourism Resort Experience Management||2||11,988|
|Humber College||Graduate Certificate in Hospitality and Tourism Operations Management||1||11,130|
|Centennial College||Graduate Certificate [Grad.Cert] Hotel, Resort and Restaurant||1||10,876|
Eligibility for Masters in Hospitality in Canada
To study masters in hospitality in Canada, international students.
- Must complete at least 2 years of undergraduate studies with a minimum of 75%.
- Students with a Pre-master degree should have a minimum of 75% percent in their pre-master
- Students of non-English speaking countries must sit for an English language proficiency test like IELTS, TOEFL. (IELTS with a minimum band of 6.0, TOEFL- minimum 80)
Here are some of the documents that you would need at the time of applying for almost all the colleges.
- Official Transcripts. (School secondary certificates, undergraduate certificate)
- Language test scores.
- Statement of Purpose(SOP)
- Letter of Recommendation ( can be asked in some colleges)
Fees for Masters in Hospitality in Canada
The average cost of tuition in hospitality colleges in Canada is around 12,000 CAD per year. Pursuing short-term programs in Canada will cost you less that the degree programs. International students can opt for various scholarships and loans to help in financing their tuition fees.
Hospitality Colleges in Canada: Doctorate Courses
Doctorate in hospitality management expertise a student on the skills required for business development and quality management strategies. Students get to specialize in a particular aspect of hospitality and tourism according to their choices and can become a researcher or gain high management ranks in the industry. Though not a very popular course, it is offered at the University of Waterloo.
Course Offered :
- Ph.D. in Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Ph.D. in Recreation and Leisure Studies (Ageing, Health and Wellbeing)
- Ph.D. in Recreation and Labour studies (Work and Health)
Fees:10,458 CAD per year
Eligibility Requirements for Doctorate in Hospitality in Canada
- A Master of Arts (MA) degree, (or its equivalent) in Recreation and Leisure Studies or related field, with a minimum 75% average in master's level coursework.
- Completion of an MA thesis.
- Each applicant must submit a written statement outlining their research interests.
- Students seeking admission to the Ph.D. program should indicate in the letter of application who would be appropriate as a faculty advisor.
- Three Academic References.
- Score of exams required to study in Canada, if applicable. TOEFL 100 (writing 26, speaking 26), IELTS 7.5 (writing 7.0, speaking 7.0)
Hospitality Courses Canada: Scholarships
In 2019, the government of Canada in the Canadian Federal Budget proposed to invest 147 million CAD and 8 million CAD in the years after 2019 in the education sector for international students.is a major boost to international students for their funding and scholarships in Canada. Scholarships for hospitality courses in Canada are of two types: Government-sponsored scholarships and university-sponsored scholarships.
Here are some of the Government-sponsored scholarships international students can look for:
|Scholarship||Awarded by||Award in CAD|
|Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships||Canadian Government||70,000 per year|
|Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program||Canadian Government||50,000 per year|
|Humber International Entrance Scholarships||Humber College||Full tuition waiver|
|Humber International Entrance Scholarships||Humber College||5,000|
|Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program||University of Toronto||Full Tuition, stationery and accommodation waiver for 4 years|
|President’s Scholarship of Distinction||University of Waterloo||2,000 Entrance Scholarship|
1,500 International Experience Award
1,500 Research Award
|International Student Entrance Scholarships||University of Waterloo||10,000|
Looking for more scholarships to study in Canada? Click here
Hospitality Colleges in Canada: Scope
After completing hospitality in Canada, international students can apply in the following sectors: Hotels, Restaurants, Cruise Ships, Casinos, Senior Living, Catering Companies, Yachts and Charters, Remote Location Private Chefs and others. However, to work in Canada an international student requires a Canadian work visa, without which you are not eligible for working.
Here are some of the job roles and the average salary range of the people working in the hospitality and tourism industry in Canada
|Job Role||Range of Salary (CAD/month)|
|Accommodations Manager||2,307- 6,700|
|Catering Supervisor||1,760- 3,360|
|Conference Centre Manager||2,880- 8,960|
|Event Planner||2,240- 5,760|
|Fast Food Restaurant Manager||2,080- 6,880|
|Hotel Manager||2,240- 9,600|
|Restaurant Manager||2,080- 6,880|
|Guest Services Supervisor||2,240-5,280|
|Cruise Ship director||3,040- 7,680|
|Food and Beverage Service Manager||2,080- 6,880|
|Pastry Chef||1,920- 4,000|
There is an expected annual demand growth rate of 2.4% in the hospitality and tourism industry in Canada by 2024. Thus creating around 2,840 job openings. There is a 9% increment in salary every 15 months.
Hospitality Manager on average earns 41,184 - 124,337 CAD annually. At the entry-level, a hospitality manager earns around 41,184 CAD per year while most experienced workers make up to 124,337 CAD per year.
Some of the top recruiters in the hospitality and tourism industry in Canada are Delta Hotels and Resorts, Earl Restaurants Ltd, Flight Centre Canada, Keg Restaurant Ltd.
To conclude, studying hospitality in Canada can lead international students to various management and customer service positions in the hospitality and tourism industry. With an average salary of 41,184- 124,337 CAD per year for a basic level hospitality management candidate is a good return on investment.